Topic: Still on sample rate

Hi all, I am a new user of an ADI-2-DAC FS and although I have read many threads about it I wanted to come back to the bit-perfect question.
As long as I listen to Flac or DSD with Foobar everything is ok, the ASIO drivers work perfectly...but if I close it and open Plex to watch a music video with 48khz audio the frequency remains the last one I listened with in Foobar....
Now reading your posts I swept out the drivers and the behaviour is as expected with any music app....but I wonder ... is it possible that a device of this level can not do what my old (Chinese) DAC did quietly with its drivers?
Thanks

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Re: Still on sample rate

> Now reading your posts I swept out the drivers and the behaviour is as expected with any music app....but I wonder ... is it possible that a device of this level can not do what my old (Chinese) DAC did quietly with its drivers?

Your old (Chinese) DAC works the same way. In the end it's your software program set the sampling rate.
The DAC just do what a software program tells it to do.

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-04-13 07:30:03)

ghedrome67 wrote:

... is it possible that a device of this level can not do what my old (Chinese) DAC did quietly with its drivers?

Your Chinese DAC probably does not support ASIO.

Still, it’s indeed a bit strange that the ASIO driver needs to be installed, or may not be installed for certain software to work as intended, specially for correct sample rate switching.
This means with some it works this way, with some the other way round, but what’s needed is a combination of both.

The whole situation is unsatisfactory, from a user’s point of view.
Maybe RME should take a deep breath and think about a more user friendly solution.

A little technical background information from the Pro manual, page 57, according the ASIO/Driver control panel:

Sample Rate
Sets the currently used sample rate. Offers a central and comfortable way of configuring the sample rate of all WDM devices to the same value, as since Vista the audio software is no longer allowed to set the sample rate. However, an ASIO program can still set the sample rate.

Even this does not make perfect sense to me, because in some configurations a non-ASIO software DOES set the sample rate.

ning wrote:

> Now reading your posts I swept out the drivers and the behaviour is as expected with any music app....but I wonder ... is it possible that a device of this level can not do what my old (Chinese) DAC did quietly with its drivers?

Your old (Chinese) DAC works the same way. In the end it's your software program set the sampling rate.
The DAC just do what a software program tells it to do.

But absolutely not
The old dac, unlike this one, changed frequency automatically depending on the incoming stream regardless of software

5 (edited by ghedrome67 2022-04-13 18:26:47)

KaiS wrote:
ghedrome67 wrote:

... is it possible that a device of this level can not do what my old (Chinese) DAC did quietly with its drivers?

Your Chinese DAC probably does not support ASIO.

XMOS-USB-Audio Class 2.0 supports ASIO regularly, once set up Foobar I have always used it in this way.
Maybe I didn't explain it well: whit RME if I open Plex which has exclusive audio but not ASIO the sample rate is correct.
If I close Plex, open Foobar and listen to a DSD file, the sample rate is correct.
Close Foobar and reopen Plex the SR remains that of the DSD, performing an absolutely unwanted oversampling.

The old DAC would have switched to the right frequency and that's how I thought RME worked.

> But absolutely not. The old dac, unlike this one, changed frequency automatically depending on the incoming stream regardless of software

I already said very clearly. Your software sets the stream sample rate and your DAC follows that rate.
If you insist your old dac works the other way and works better, then the right thing to do is to return your ADI-2 and enjoy your old DAC.

ning wrote:

> But absolutely not. The old dac, unlike this one, changed frequency automatically depending on the incoming stream regardless of software

I already said very clearly. Your software sets the stream sample rate and your DAC follows that rate.
If you insist your old dac works the other way and works better, then the right thing to do is to return your ADI-2 and enjoy your old DAC.

I think I've given a concrete example that everyone can replicate... if you tell me that it's normal for a 48khz stream to be upsampled to 352 because you listened to a DSD first... well... congratulations.

I said it already. you have a software issue.

ning wrote:

I said it already. you have a software issue.

Sorry... but what software? I've already trashed the drivers and everything is as expected.

Remember: on this forum, sample rate problems are never the fault of the dac. It is always a software problem. You can find my thread and read and also other threads and it is always the same answer. Never mind that only this dac has problems with it and other dacs and Chinese ones for a fraction of the price work fine. It is the software fault not the rme adi.

Chinese DAC guy pulling our chain again big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

12 (edited by ning 2022-04-21 09:52:05)

The DAC uses SR your OS assigns it to work at.
Your OS can not default to the source file SR you're playing because it's not designed that way --- otherwise other assumptions broke (what if you have multiple streams playing? what if the DAC does not support such SR? etc.).
This works well --- most consumers just don't care which rate their device works at. They don't even know what SR is.

If you want to take full control and use the same SR as your source file,
your software program has to be able to set the device SR using system API (either ASIO/WASAPI or CoreAudio).
As a software developer I do that quite often in my daily work, and the product (ADI-2 Pro) successfully performs such SR change instructions EVERY single time.
So either you don't know how to configure your software, or your software does not support that feature.
Talk to your software provider. They should be able to help you.

ghostek wrote:

Remember: on this forum, sample rate problems are never the fault of the dac. It is always a software problem. You can find my thread and read and also other threads and it is always the same answer. Never mind that only this dac has problems with it and other dacs and Chinese ones for a fraction of the price work fine. It is the software fault not the rme adi.

OK software but....why removing the drivers make this DAC work as intended?
Simple user impression: they should only be used with software that supports ASIO when XMOS drivers are more flexible.

With RME audio drivers, WASAPI auto sample rate change is not supported, only ASIO.

1) You can use Microsoft sound drivers by uninstalling the RME drivers.

2) You can use JRiver WDM audio driver, which supports WASAPI, that can communicate with the RME driver over ASIO and auto change the sample rate.