1 (edited by larst 2022-04-21 19:05:28)

Topic: "DC detected Line deactivated" at 176 400 and above

Unit: ADI-2 PRO FS R BE

Scenario

- Record to DSD256 with Vinyl Studio
- Export to wav 24/352
- Get "DC detected Line deactivated" every time I stop playback of exported wav.
- Open wav in WaveLab
- Continuously get "DC detected Line deactivated" every time I stop playback.
- Change resampling in wavelab to 176 -> same problem.
- Change resampling to 88 -> no more DC detected.

Tried another USB-cable. Same problem.

Any thoughts?

2 (edited by ning 2022-04-19 12:13:14)

Re: "DC detected Line deactivated" at 176 400 and above

To debug the issue, it's better that you post your original DSD, 352, 176 and 88 online so people can analyze it. A short 5 second clip that can reproduce the problem will be sufficient.
Other than the very original Pro, the later models (FS and FS R) should have very low DC values in DSD recording, thanks to the DC offset circuit.
Very likely it's your software issue.

Also, if you decide to store/play it as WAV, there's zero benefit in recording it as DSD first.

ning wrote:

To debug the issue, it's better that you post your original DSD, 352, 176 and 88 online so people can analyze it. A short 5 second clip that can reproduce the problem will be sufficient.
Other than the very original Pro, the later models (FS and FS R) should have very low DC values in DSD recording, thanks to the DC offset circuit.
Very likely it's your software issue.

Also, if you decide to store/play it as WAV, there's zero benefit in recording it as DSD first.

Thanks ning,

to be clear:

- ADI-2 PRO FS R BE
- Playback software: VinylStudio, Audirvana, Wavelab Pro 11 (same problem)

Regarding "Also, if you decide to store/play it as WAV, there's zero benefit in recording it as DSD first.", DSD is not for everyone, as I guess you're aware of, so sometimes conversion is a necessary evil.

Please share the clips generated so others can help you better.

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-04-19 13:14:20)

larst wrote:

...- Playback software: VinylStudio, Audirvana, Wavelab Pro 11

If ADI-2’s DC warning screen comes up, there is significant amount of DC in the files.

All the mentioned software has options to check for DC and remove it.
What else should one propose?!

Wavelab can do it as batch processing.

Isn't it strange that it's only when stopping playback the deactivation occurs?

To get rid of the deactivation one has to start playback and turn the volumeknob -> sound plays. The procedure repeats when playback stops.

Will check for DC in files later. Thank's for the tip KaiS!

Removed DC-offset of the file with wavelab. No difference.

And actually it now is enough to choose 352 to get the "DC detected Line deactivated".

- When choosing Resampling 44100 Hz in Wavelab (just choose, not play) the dialog disappears.
- When switching back to 176 (or just bypass resampling) the dialog reappears (without playing).

Just noticed that Dig. DC Protection on Main Output 1/2 was set to ON (not intended).

I changed it to filter and the issue disappeared.

Now I just get the red "DC detected on line out", now and again (mostly at stop playback),  same prerequisites as described above, but when starting playback again, the dialog disappears and doesn't interrupt user flow.

So my conclusion (which might be wrong, obviously) is that this is a bug... or maybe a known limitation...? @MC

9 (edited by ning 2022-04-19 15:18:07)

As mentioned earlier. you need to post the files (small 5 seconds clips will do) so people can help you.

most likely you have a software issue.

ning wrote:

As mentioned earlier. you need to post the files (small 5 seconds clips will do) so people can help you.

Thanks ning, I noticed your suggestion the first time you mentioned it. If you still think more trouble shooting and file analyzing is needed after you've read the posts in this thread (the issue is triggered by just selecting a higher sample rate as described above), please share what you think needs to be done.

I'm a pretty happy camper after finding that the Filter-setting fixed my use-case and just wanted to give a heads up to @MC if he isn't aware of this issue.

11 (edited by ning 2022-04-19 16:29:15)

Your files cause DC detection to tigger. Changing to filter only filters DC out. But the problem remains --- Either ADI-2's DC detection is faulty (which I believe is less possible), or your software/setting is problematic (more possible), in which case when you release your file to your audience, it will break people's device as their playback system may not have DC filter/protection at all..

MC cannot solve your issue without you posting the files first.

12 (edited by larst 2022-04-19 20:05:19)

ning wrote:

Your files cause DC detection to tigger. Changing to filter only filters DC out. But the problem remains --- Either ADI-2's DC detection is faulty (which I believe is less possible), or your software/setting is problematic (more possible), in which case when you release your file to your audience, it will break people's device as their playback system may not have DC filter/protection at all..

MC cannot solve your issue without you posting the files first.

As said above. No file is needed. Changing the sample rate is enough.

"Dig. DC protection" set to On triggers "DC detected Line deactivated" for sample rates from 176 and above.

If you want to help out you could do the same with your own unit, I'm on firmware v.113, to see if you're experiencing
the same issue.

larst wrote:

"Dig. DC protection" set to On triggers "DC detected Line deactivated" for sample rates from 176 and above.

If you want to help out you could do the same with your own unit, I'm on firmware v.113, to see if you're experiencing
the same issue.

My ADI-2 Pro FS has Dig. DC protection set to ON, has firmware FPGA 262, DSP 113 and had never DC detected / Line deactivated triggered. Not with 44.1 kHz, not with 48 kHz, not with 88.2 kHz, not with 96 kHz and not with 192 kHz. Because i had no file with 352.8 kHz sampling rate i made one just some minutes ago. I stopped it about a dozen times. No warning message.

I tried it with ASIO Madiface USB, with WASAPI and with Default. No warning message.
I downloaded the 384 kHz Wave File >A Trace of Grace< from Michel Godard, Soyeusement - Live in Noirlac. No warning message, with stopping and without.

I tend to think it would really be easier to find the problem if a recording was accessible that triggered the problem.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

rawac wrote:
larst wrote:

the same issue.

My ADI-2 Pro FS has Dig. DC protection set to ON, has firmware FPGA 262, DSP 113 and had never DC detected / Line deactivated triggered. Not with 44.1 kHz, not with 48 kHz, not with 88.2 kHz, not with 96 kHz and not with 192 kHz. Because i had no file with 352.8 kHz sampling rate i made one just some minutes ago. I stopped it about a dozen times. No warning message.

I tried it with ASIO Madiface USB, with WASAPI and with Default. No warning message.
I downloaded the 384 kHz Wave File >A Trace of Grace< from Michel Godard, Soyeusement - Live in Noirlac. No warning message, with stopping and without.

I tend to think it would really be easier to find the problem if a recording was accessible that triggered the problem.

Thanks, this is interesting! So either my unit is faulty, or I have a setting enabled that triggers the problem. I will try a reset to factory preset tomorrow if that is of interest to RME or anyone else, because, as I've said before, this is no longer a problem for me (unless my unit is faulty).

Let me once again point out that in my case no recording is needed. I just change the sample rate to use, in (for example) MacOs settings to trigger the issue.

15 (edited by larst 2022-04-19 23:03:55)

So, again this is an issue that arises when DSD is selected as AD Conversion in Analog Input. When I selected PCM the issue disappeared.

@MC Are you investigating these issues? As a user it seems a bit unrelated to get issues at playback with relates to settings for recording.

The other issue: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 32#p186132

larst wrote:

So, again this is an issue that arises when DSD is selected as AD Conversion in Analog Input. When I selected PCM the issue disappeared.

Correct. There seems to be an internal connection to the Dig. DC Protection that should not be there. We'lll fix this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We'lll fix this.

Thanks!

This has been fixed, firmware update coming soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great news, thanks!