Topic: ISSUE: New Dante Controller 4.5.1 Incompatible w NETFC on Mac

Just a note.  Audinate released new Dante Controller software (Ver 4.5.1) for Mac.  This software does not appear to be compatible with the current RME Netifc software required to create virtual Ethernet ports for the Digiface Dante.

With this version of the Dante Controller, FETH controllers are instead labelled as "Bridge 0" and "Bridge 1" on my system, and do not register IP addresses with my Dante Network.

I tried multiple re-installs of both the Dante Controller Software, and the RME Netfc drivers, rebooted my switches, etc. without resolution.

I was able to re-acquire proper addressing by rolling back my Dante Controller to the previous version (4.4.2)

I do not know if Netfc needs an update to ensure compatibility with the newest Dante Controller, or if this is an issue specific to my setup.  Unfortunately, I do not have the technical knowhow to diagnose.

Posting this as an FYI / notice to any RME folks who might be monitoring

Re: ISSUE: New Dante Controller 4.5.1 Incompatible w NETFC on Mac

Just checking in to see if anyone fro RME can confirm this issue?

I have moved over to using a USB C Ethernet adapter as the FETH ports were also not recognized by Focusrite Rednet Control...so the entire purpose of the FETH drivers has been rendered moot on my system, as I have to use two Ethernet cables. 

Again...not sure where the finger should be pointed with this...but I wanted to make this visible to RME and any potential Mac users.

I have also reported this issue via the only "Support" mechanism I see available in the USA...which is via email to Synthax...however, I feel confident their role is only to handle returns / repairs, and they are not directly involved with driver development or troubleshooting of that software.

So...yeah...RME if you see this...please take a look into this issue.

Yes, basically you are correct. I have forwarded your message to the dev team.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

5 (edited by kamurah 2022-05-08 17:57:25)

Jeff wrote:

Yes, basically you are correct. I have forwarded your message to the dev team.

Thank you Jeff!  I wanted to let anyone reading this on the forum Jeff reached out to me separately via email immediately after I sent my note to Synthax. 

Super fast response / customer service...and I am really grateful for your help Jeff!

Addendum to this topic:

While the Dante Controller app from Audinate is not allowing selection of the FETH virtual ports installed by the netifc package, you'll need to use a network cable connection from the Mac to the switch port on Digiface Dante.

However, there is a new security feature for Mac OS network ports that might interfere with Dante use. Open Mac System Preferences -> Network -> Ethernet. There is a check box here that is enabled by default to "Limit IP Address Tracking". As this seems to be the cause of some issues with Dante when in use, you should uncheck this option when using built-in network ports for your audio over IP network.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

7 (edited by zengomi 2022-07-08 13:43:23)

I installed Dante Controller v4.6.0.9 Package (macOS). Digiface Dante is still unrecognized, and the RME Netifc software is still incompatible.

Reinstalled v4.4.7.1.

8 (edited by uwekirst 2022-09-01 17:15:58)

There is a new version of netifc, but it's not released yet. The new version supports the latest Dante controller. Within the Dante controller you select the interface "bridge9999". The old interface name "feth10000" ist not supported by newer versions of the Dante controller. It's also not generated any longer (in conjunction with the Digiface Dante) by netifc. If you type "ifconfig" there is no interface "feth10000" shown.  That's the distinctiv mark of the new version of netifc.

Thank you for this good news, uwekirst.

The new netifc (version 8) is now available for download:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/rme_netifc_mac.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME