1 (edited by Curt962 2022-05-07 16:39:06)

Topic: Dual EQ Set Up Guide!

Hello All!

Because questions arise from time to time, and because I think RME's Dual EQ is a very useful functionality for a variety of reasons..

Speaker/Phones irregularities, asymmetry in Room Acoustic, or even our own hearing makes Dual EQ so very useful.

Now?

I reveal to you all my "Quick Guide to the ADI-2 DAC Dual EQ"!!

*This procedure pertains specifically to the RME ADI-2 DAC, but as the DAC, and Pro devices share enough in common in this function, users of either device may find the information helpful to them.

Here we go...  \ smile /

First:  Let's ensure that you've enabled Dual EQ in the I/O Menu of your RME.

I/O > Dual EQ > ON

Now, in the EQ Page (with Bode Plot displayed) you find that you can set EQ parameters for L/R channels individually!  Do also note that the channel which you're adjusting is displayed in the upper line of the Display.  You can change channels (L or R) by simply rotating Encoder 1.

Make your changes to each channel individually, and save this Dual EQ ONCE via the simple procedure outlined in the User Manual.   No need to be saving one channel, then going back to save the other.  Such a methodology seems exceedingly awkward, incorrect, and is certain to lead to no end of confusion.  Dual EQs are saved Together as a Single Preset!   Lucky for us, RME made this So Easy!.  Seems almost TOO easy doesn't it? wink Trust that it Really Is!

I hope some user, whether new or old, benefits from this!

Enjoy!

Curt

*ADI-2 DAC Users Rejoice!
There's a Photographic Guided Tour of the process located a bit further below in this Thread.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Re: Dual EQ Set Up Guide!

EQ, Dual
I cannot set/store individual settings for L and R. They only work together.
Something wrong doing by me, or a bug?
Thanks for answers and hints, hjp

3 (edited by ramses 2022-05-04 21:55:19)

Do you have the ADI-2 Pro? It has two outputs: Main Out 1/2 and Phones Out 3/4.
Did you enable DUAL EQ on the proper output ?

@Curt: a guide to activate one option ? wink I see a flood of guides .. oh now wait .. it's called manual wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Curt962 2022-05-05 03:36:29)

Hans,

Let's take a brief Pictorial Tour!   Below, you'll see some photos of what you Should see when setting up a Dual EQ.

*For this discussion, I'll assume an ADI-2 DAC.  My Photos show my Dual EQ set up for Line Out

https://i.ibb.co/HgMxP5K/20220504-175722.jpg

Without enabling Dual EQ in the I/O Menu for the correct output, we will go nowhere.
You must see Dual EQ:  ON (Line, Phones, IEM)   

In this next Picture, you'll see the EQ for one channel only.  * Note that it says which channel is displayed, and ALSO NOTE (! ) that this is for my Line Output (not Phones, or IEM).  We really need to pay attention to which output we're working with. 

https://i.ibb.co/F6tgjS2/20220504-175754.jpg

In this next Photo lies the "Save" Screen.  To access this, simply Tap the EQ button (2x) to display: "EQ Enable/Presets"

Using Encoder 2, scroll to the bottom of the page, and you'll see this!:

https://i.ibb.co/9T8b1TM/20220504-183730.jpg

Give your EQ a name, and save it by pressing Encoder 2.

2 Keys to Success:

*Dual EQ - ON (Output Specific!)
*Create/Save EQs for your Specific Output! (Line, IEM, Phones)

Summary:  It seems possible Hans, that you've activated Dual EQ for an output you aren't using, and this will surely result in your difficulty.  See??  Each of the above photos clearly indicates "Line Output" so there should be no confusion to anyone at any point in the process.

Ok?

Best,

Curt

*The Dual EQ Function has been with us a long time.   There are NO "Bugs"

You are great, thanks a lot. But: it did not help.
First, I have had the ADI-2 DAC before, with that all was good.
I now have the ADI-2 Pro FS R, Black Edition. Latest firmware.
All the setup I/O, EQ, I am (almost) sure I got it right. There are L and R EQ Bode diagrams shown.
I can change the curves. But it always goes for both, L and R simultaneously, I am not getting individual settings!
More ideas?

6 (edited by Curt962 2022-05-05 18:04:19)

Hans!

I think you're almost there!

Best for me to rely upon a few of our Pro DAC Users here who can quite likely share with you some valuable insights with that specific device.  Do note:  The User Manual has long been our "Bible" for our devices,  and there is surely no harm in re-reviewing it Step-by-Step to ensure you're doing things by the book.

Stay Close!  Don't go away..   wink

Curt

7 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-05 23:05:03)

I just tested on my ADI-2 Pro, FW V.113:

Dual EQ works as described, can be saved and recalled in Presets.

Watch out:
Presets formerly saved as “normal” ones are loaded as such, but can be edited and stored L/R independent.

Funny enough:
Even when switching Dual EQ “OFF”, loading a Preset stored as Dual EQ loads the different L/R settings, and can be edited as L/R.
Overwriting with a non-Dual setting reverts the Preset to “normal.

To me the whole behavior is perfectly+ and working.

hansjpetscher wrote:

EQ, Dual
I cannot set/store individual settings for L and R. They only work together.
Something wrong doing by me, or a bug?

L+R setting are handled inside a single Preset.
They can be different (that’s what Dual EQ is about) but are not intended to be stored for each side individually.

hansjpetscher wrote:

You are great, thanks a lot. But: it did not help.
First, I have had the ADI-2 DAC before, with that all was good.
I now have the ADI-2 Pro FS R, Black Edition. Latest firmware.
All the setup I/O, EQ, I am (almost) sure I got it right. There are L and R EQ Bode diagrams shown.
I can change the curves. But it always goes for both, L and R simultaneously, I am not getting individual settings!
More ideas?

You need to describe the error correctly and in detail. 'It always goes for both' does mean what exactly? You can't select left and right channel? Or you can, but changing L plot, then changing to R plot always shows the same (L) curve? In that case you are NOT on the latest firmware 113, as that one fixed that exact graphics screen refresh issue.

Which wouldn't astonish me as you also posted your issue in the 112 firmware thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hans,

Indeed, PLEASE ensure that your Pro is running the newest Firmware. (113), and do read the release notes.

Secondly, I agree that perhaps your description of the difficulty is contributing to our confusion.  "It always goes for both" is not being understood well by us.  Really?  I am beginning to wonder if there IS a problem at all.

Let's do a Test!

On One Channel only, create a Shelf Filter, and eliminate everything below a few hundred Hz.  Something you'll easily hear.  This should only take a minute to set up.

Save this "Test" EQ as previously directed, and play some music.  It should sound quite thin, and weak in one channel.   If it does?  Your Dual EQ is working fine, and it is your interpretation of the Bode Plot where difficulties arise.

Curt

Guys, you are awesome.
I was missing out on the 113 update, this one fixed it!
On 112 if you did changes to the EQ on one channel, lets say the L, it also changed the other one (R) at the same time.
I thought I had the last firmware installed. Now I got 113 and all is well.
Thank you so much!
Cheers,
Hans.

Thank Heavens!

We're happy you're working well!

Best,

Curt