1 (edited by Reflaction 2022-05-03 22:06:10)

Topic: Can't change the buffer size in my DAW

Hello
I've got RME UFX II, I'm using Ableton 11, and when I want to change the buffer size in the preferences, It opens the MADIface, and I can change it there, but the number doesn't change in Ableton only when I'm restarting Ableton. Its change

What should I do?
Thank you

Re: Can't change the buffer size in my DAW

Thats normal

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by Reflaction 2022-05-04 14:56:42)

waedi wrote:

Thats normal

but how could it be normal? It wasn't that way before, and when I press play in my DAW, I hear the buffer size and I can't work.
I must restart

What do you mean with "before" ? What has changed ?
Have you changed from Mac to PC ?
In Mac the buffersize setting is part of the DAW, in PC its part of the audio interface settings.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I didn't change anything as far as I remember, maybe the WDM devices, but I can't see why it should matter...
I'm using a PC

"before" was when I changed the buffer size in Ableton I could see the number change immediately in the DAW and the Madiface together.

thank you for your help

Set the WDM devices to 0 and try. If that still doesn't work then you either have changed a setting in Live (changing the buffer size might require the program to become inactive when in background), or that change was added by an update of Live that you installed...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Reflaction 2022-05-08 20:13:46)

Ok, MC thank you
I set the WDM devices to 0, and it worked! Now I activated just 1+2, and it happened again. So I don't understand how I can work on a project on Live and change the buffer side through the project without restarting Live, cause Live and Madiface don't show me the same number. What should I do next? Using ASIO4ALL can solve it ? And by the way, what does the WDM mean? I read the manual, but I'm not sure I totally understand it.  more WDM devices take more CPU?

?

Do you need wdm? Why do you need to keep changing g the buffer size? I’ve seen this quite a few times with different DAWs and other interfaces.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

10 (edited by Reflaction 2022-05-11 19:03:46)

Most of the time I change the buffer size throughout a whole project. When I record, I reduce the buffer size, and when I mix, I  use 2048 samples, and sometimes I use it because of CPU problems when my project is too busy with plugins

?

? here as well. You don't know what WDM is for but activate it? Why? Do you use WDM devices or not? In Ableton you use ASIO, not WDM.

IF you use WDM in parallel to ASIO then changing the buffer size is not possible unless WDM is stopped.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by Reflaction 2022-05-15 13:11:26)

MC, I understand what the meaning for the WDM devices but I don't really get it because i must active at least one, I don't have any use for it except Spotify and other casual things on my PC and I use my DAW si I must use at least 1 WDM device for the speakers to be active..
when I would like to change the buffer size in my DAW all the other applications are closed. so basically I need to turn off the WDM device before every session in Ableton?

I did what you told me before and I set the WDM to 0 and the buffer size changed but I can't listen to music on my computer when the speakers disabled and everything routed fine in Totalmix

Have you turned windows sounds off?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

15 (edited by Reflaction 2022-05-15 15:50:15)

what do you mean?
My playback device is set to "Speakers (RME UFX II)"

https://ibb.co/LR3xrH7

Windows sounds can still use the wdm device and may be holding it up. I always disable windows sounds. This doesn’t mean you can’t use Spotify.

Thank you! I set windows sound to off, and I switch the WDM device to 0, and I have no sound on my computer, not Spotify and not on My DAW, so I change it back again to 1 WDM device.

I don't understand what the solution is..

18 (edited by ramses 2022-05-15 17:46:41)

How often do you need to change the buffersize ? Set it to the proper value and all is fine.
Then start your DAW project.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

19 (edited by Reflaction 2022-05-15 22:06:33)

Whenever I have a CPU problem, I change it quite a bit. Sometimes, I take it to the limit.
Every time I restart my DAW, I aim to avoid it.

Hello, everyone!

@Reflaction
The problem is that Ableton lacks a "Release ASIO in Background" Option.
It is like that by design because many people use it in live shows and they wanted to avoid accidental "out of focus" mouse clicks!
So that Ableton never stops playing back, mid-show!
At least, that's what I 've read!

I think this might help you change that behaviour:  https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic … interfaces

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hi @MetalHeadKeys and thank you for the tip! But still not working.
I don't understand It should be super easy

Hi, Reflaction! You 're welcome!

Hmm, yes this should be super easy..!
Which driver and firmware versions are you using for your UFX II ?

Also, can you try a test with Reaper? You can download it for free, with full functionality and evaluation period for two months.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632