1 (edited by Manuel 2022-05-10 10:54:27)

Topic: UCX II availability in May-June 2022?

I'm having no luck finding a dealer that has stock or knows when there will be stock of the UCX II. Any idea when this product will be available again? If we are talking months, I could buy a cheap interface just to get by until the UCX II is back in stock; if it's going to be just a few weeks, I'd much rather wait than waste money on the cheap interface. Thanks!

Re: UCX II availability in May-June 2022?

I wish i would have seen your post before the post i just created! I bought a UFX+ from Thomman in March 2022, and still waiting on them to get stock. At least i reserved it a cheaper price than where it is now. If you really want one, I would reserve now. I decided the UFX+ was what i wanted in November of 2021, but didn't purchase until March 2022 (waiting on work bonus) and the price had gone up $300 since when my friend purchased his in early 2021.

If inflation keeps going up, i wouldn't be surprised if all these units go up in price after being available again.

Good luck!

3 (edited by Manuel 2022-07-03 18:21:16)

andymetz wrote:

I wish i would have seen your post before the post i just created! I bought a UFX+ from Thomman in March 2022, and still waiting on them to get stock. At least i reserved it a cheaper price than where it is now. If you really want one, I would reserve now. I decided the UFX+ was what i wanted in November of 2021, but didn't purchase until March 2022 (waiting on work bonus) and the price had gone up $300 since when my friend purchased his in early 2021.

If inflation keeps going up, i wouldn't be surprised if all these units go up in price after being available again.

Good luck!

I ended up ordering or rather, reserving, a UCX II for the following reasons:

• It's RME's latest all-in-one interface, released last year. This means it will hold its value longer than the UFX+, which was released in 2016 and is due an update. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if its successor was released some time in the next 12 months although the world is in a mess right now and nobody really knows when that might happen, maybe not even RME themselves!

• The UCX II generously exceeds my I/O needs. That said, had the UCX III (?) been released already, I probably would have bought that even though I don't need all the I/O, only because I'd be getting a lot more functionality for only a little more money, hence more "future-proofness" as my studio grows.

• The UCX II is more affordable and, since it fits my needs well, why spend more?

• Currently neither the UCX II nor the UFX II is available from my preferred dealers so last week I paid a 300 € advance to reserve my UCX II. Looking around it seems stock of the UCX II is finally beginning to trickle in, so hopefully I'll get mine soon.

Regarding inflation, honestly I don't expect further price hikes, in fact, the opposite —price drops— is a more likely scenario going into 2023, and for the wrong reasons, so buckle up!

I ordered my UCX II on May 1st, and received it last week.  It’s already going back for repair, as it overheats and powers off after only about an hour’s use!

jlandells wrote:

I ordered my UCX II on May 1st, and received it last week.  It’s already going back for repair, as it overheats and powers off after only about an hour’s use!

OK I'm a bit worried now... Did you check with RME about this? My old Fireface 400, also a half-rack unit, used to get pretty hot, to the point that I could not hold my hand to it, but it didn't turn off due to the heat. I asked RME and they said it was normal (though I never measured the temps as I didn't have a suitable thermometer), so I just didn't worry about it.

I'm confused though becaus on this thread the OP says their UCX II gets too hot, but then another user says it hardly gets hot compared with their old Fireface 400, so what's the final veredict? Is there an official operating temperature we could use as a reference?

Manuel wrote:

Did you check with RME about this?

I’m dealing with Synthax rather than RME. They didn’t seem concerned about the overheating - just the power issues. We’ll see what happens when I eventually get it back.