Topic: Audio dropouts in Babyface Pro & Big Sur

Hi guys

I've been experiencing occasional audio dropouts since the upgrade to Big Sur. They last from 10 secs to a min. Strangely, all the meters on the card and in the Totalmix keep moving, but I can't hear anything, including the signal from the line input. If I stop all audio in the Mac and wait for a while, the dropout disappears but comes back occasionally during the session. Sometimes, even restarting the Mac doesn't work, and I get dropouts very soon after the restart. If I reconnect BF the problem disappears only for a while. I suspect the issue is related to USB drivers. I would appreciate any comment or advise.

Babyface Pro (firmware:v200, driver:3.27, bus powered)
Big Sur 12.4 (iMac intel i5, 16 gb ram)

Cheers,
Cem

Re: Audio dropouts in Babyface Pro & Big Sur

How is the USB connection handled? Any hub, adapter or extender in use?

Audio routed from input to output in TotalMix would not be affected by a driver issue, so there must be something else causing trouble.

I'm concerned about unstable bus power on USB for the problem you reported.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by jembey 2022-05-26 23:03:20)

Re: Audio dropouts in Babyface Pro & Big Sur

Jeff wrote:

How is the USB connection handled? Any hub, adapter or extender in use?

Audio routed from input to output in TotalMix would not be affected by a driver issue, so there must be something else causing trouble.

I'm concerned about unstable bus power on USB for the problem you reported.

By a 5 meter USB cable directly into the Mac. I have been using this setup for years which didn't give me any problems before moving to Monterey (just realised I'm on Monterey, not Big Sur smile