1 (edited by Manuel 2022-06-01 23:02:59)

Topic: Generic MIDI controller vs ARC USB?

I'm waiting for the UCX II to be in stock again and I'm considering the ARC USB controller but I have a Babyface Pro and the ergonomics of the flush jog wheel don't do it for me, my preference being a larger knob that protrudes further. I'd also like more than just one knob so I can adjust monitor level and two pairs of headphones directly, without having to push any buttons first, so I was wondering if I'd be able to replicate the functionality of the ARC USB using a generic controller (for example, the Faderfox EC4) with endless encoders and LEDs. Put another way, is it possible to impersonate the ARC USB using a third-party generic controller? Thanks.

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

Re: Generic MIDI controller vs ARC USB?

Faders should work as far as I know, but I am not sure whether you can replicate the whole functionality of the ARC, I am pretty sure the ARC supports more than what can be controlled by MIDI.
Did you check the manual? There must be a MIDI implementation chart somewhere...

On the ARC I really like the "Toggle Total Mix" option which shows and hides it with one button, not sure if that (and other things) are supported by MIDI.
OSC allows to control much more in Total Mix than MIDI, but then you'd need to translate from MIDI with another third party program first.

hselters wrote:

Faders should work as far as I know, but I am not sure whether you can replicate the whole functionality of the ARC, I am pretty sure the ARC supports more than what can be controlled by MIDI.
Did you check the manual? There must be a MIDI implementation chart somewhere...

I checked the manual but it doesn't give any details. I think a first step would be to know how ARC USB communicates with TotalMix, or if it's designed to be a closed system and we are not supposed to know. If it uses simple MIDI messages, there is hope. If it uses SysEx or something else the next step would be to obtain the details of the protocol and hopefully a bit of software to sit between a MIDI controller and TotalMix could do the translation, as you said.

hselters wrote:

On the ARC I really like the "Toggle Total Mix" option which shows and hides it with one button, not sure if that (and other things) are supported by MIDI.

That is easy to replicate using AutoHotkey, to toggle TotalMix globally from the typing keyboard in a myriad of ways, so that's not a problem.

hselters wrote:

OSC allows to control much more in Total Mix than MIDI, but then you'd need to translate from MIDI with another third party program first.

That sounds interesting, is there official documentation for Totalmix's OSC implementation?

Manuel wrote:

That sounds interesting, is there official documentation for Totalmix's OSC implementation?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32212

hselters wrote:
Manuel wrote:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32212

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find a free MIDI-to-OSC converter and get this working.