Topic: New ARC USB Interior Rattling Sound

First post, I recently purchased a UFX+ to replace my Avid Carbon, so then I ordered the ARC USB Remote from Sweetwater.  It arrived, took it out of the box, and heard some rattling from inside.  Hum.....Shook it lightly and yep, lots of rattling.  So no biggie, got a bad one, albeit unusual considering RME's reputation.

Sweetwater shipped out a replacement (FAST), got here last night, same thing.

So I have to ask, this is not normal right?

Barry Johns Studio Talk on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/c/BarryJohns

Re: New ARC USB Interior Rattling Sound

barryathome@me.com wrote:

First post, I recently purchased a UFX+ to replace my Avid Carbon, so then I ordered the ARC USB Remote from Sweetwater.  It arrived, took it out of the box, and heard some rattling from inside.  Hum.....Shook it lightly and yep, lots of rattling.  So no biggie, got a bad one, albeit unusual considering RME's reputation.

Sweetwater shipped out a replacement (FAST), got here last night, same thing.

So I have to ask, this is not normal right?

Check if the buttons' caps are making this sound, if yes, nothing wrong with your unit (it is NOT a defect -- the caps are "floaty")

it's very likely the buttons. I thought the same thing when I took mine out of the box smile

4 (edited by barryathome@me.com 2022-06-02 21:03:02)

sbcrikey wrote:

it's very likely the buttons. I thought the same thing when I took mine out of the box smile

Its really loud, like there are loose screws inside, but the odds of that on both units is crazy.....

Barry Johns Studio Talk on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/c/BarryJohns

barryathome@me.com wrote:
sbcrikey wrote:

Its really loud, like there are loose screws inside, but the odds of that on both units is crazy.....

yeah, it's loud. turn the unit button side down and slowly rock it side to side. if there's really something loose inside there, you should hear it rolling around. alternatively, you could try to secure the buttons with your hands/fingers and give it a shake. my guess is it will be silent.

enjoy this great tool!

you should just hear the buttons rattle a bit but that is it

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Old post but same issue. Never saw this post. Returned the first one to Sweetwater and got new one. Same issue. RME (or Sweetwater) should just put a a sticker or notice somewhere ("rattling is normal and does not mean unit is broken."