Topic: Babyface Pro and Adobe Premiere

I've been having problems where playback drops off after starting in Adobe Premiere.  Never seen a problem like this before- but it happens with ASIO and MME drivers.  My computer is in a machine room so I am running on a hub (but this didn't used to be a problem - it worked perfectly for years).  Because I was concerned about power that's needed for the Babyface, I purchased a Power Supply and I'm now powering the interface from that. 

Thoughts as to what's going wrong here?  This is honestly the first problem I've had with a piece of RME gear in 20+ years of use.

Thanks!

--Ben

Re: Babyface Pro and Adobe Premiere

Please be more specific, what does "drops off" refer to? Is the issue reproducible with other software?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Not sure about reproducing in other software because I use this computer pretty much only for Adobe Premiere.  It's in my video room and rarely is used for anything else.  What happens is that it plays back for awhile and then it just mutes out.  If I stop and restart, sometimes it will come back- and then the same happens again.  Other times, it doesn't come back at all and I've even had it pull Premiere to a stop as well.  What's odd is that the computer will often look like it should have sound coming out (in Premiere and in Total Mix) but the interface shows nothing on the meters.  (This is why I thought it might be power related and I got the DC power supply). 

When I play sound back through any of the onboard devices (like the crappy speakers in my monitors- through the HDMI port), I never have any of these problems.

And when that happens, can you still play audio with other software without a restart or something of that kind?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It seems to be largely Adobe Related.  Something with the way that Premiere and the Babyface are communicating.  I'll start playback and the sound just stops after a couple/few seconds.  If I stop and restart, more often than not, it will come back- and then stop again.  The thing is, when I play through any of the stock outputs of the computer, it's fine- this includes the HDMI out with the screens I have.  Sound is horrible, but it is allowing me to edit.

When I play from other programs, it's generally fine.  Youtube for example plays just fine.  As does VLC and some of the other software I have on the machine.  It's a beast machine- Ryzen 32 core processor, 128 GB RAM, RTX 3080Ti video card, SSD drives, etc... So I'm not even coming close to running out of juice in the processor.

--Ben