Topic: Adi-648

Hi,

Is it possible to remote control ADI-648 from HDSPe MADI-IN port?
In other words, can I have AUDIO comming in throw the MADI port of HDSPe and also send MIDI messages throw the same MADI cable?
Or I do have to send the MIDI messages to ADI-648 throw the MADI output port?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Adi-648

I don't understand the question as this specific feature is described on the website, in our brochures and the manual...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by CarlosMills 2008-08-10 23:41:20)

Hi Mattias,

MC wrote:

I don't understand the question as this specific feature is described on the website, in our brochures and the manual...

I will try to clarify my question:

RME's MADI Info Center states that:
(...)"MADI is unidirectional, providing a 'point-to-point' interface between a source and a destination. The MADI format is fully specified in the AES-10 standard document.(...)."

The manual says that:
(...)"Technically every single MADI channel includes several additional bits, containing various information
(Channel Status). RME use the usually unused User Bit of channel 56 (channel 28 in
96k Frame mode), to transmit MIDI data invisibly within MADI, ensuring full compatibility.(...)

But I could not find anywhere clearly stated that you can send the MIDI data (from a HDSPe MADI card, for instance) throw it's INPUT MADI port (where it is receiving audio data), using only one cable for the whole process. (p.s. I don't have the equipment to test it by myself yet). I hope this clarify my question.

Hi Matthias,

It seems, by studying the Block Diagram, that two cables are needed for the remote operation.

No, you can remote with one connection. The way back is needed to verify if the unit did what you wanted to do. You can even use our MIDI Remote software this way - one way...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, but an input port always remains an input and can't serve as MIDI output, that's for sure. If you want to receive audio and send MIDI you need two single MADI lines, one for input and one for output.

Regards,
Ulrich

Please read your first post again. You did not write why you need to send MIDI data FROM the 648 TO another unit. You explicitely wanted to remote control the 648 itself.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ahem... I didn't write the first post at all, I just wanted to help to clarify...

I think the thread starter believes he can send MIDI commands *to* the ADI-648 AND audio *from* the ADI-648 through one single optical fibre which only connects MADI out of the ADI-648 with MADI in of the HDSPe MADI. I just wanted to point out that this will never be possible, as MADI is unidirectional. You need to use ins and outs at both units in order to achieve this target.

Best,
Ulrich

9 (edited by CarlosMills 2008-09-07 02:09:09)

Hi Ulrich,

Ulrich wrote:

Ahem... I didn't write the first post at all, I just wanted to help to clarify...
I think the thread starter believes he can send MIDI commands *to* the ADI-648 AND audio *from* the ADI-648 through one single optical fibre which only connects MADI out of the ADI-648 with MADI in of the HDSPe MADI. I just wanted to point out that this will never be possible, as MADI is unidirectional. You need to use ins and outs at both units in order to achieve this target.
Best,
Ulrich

You are right, that was the purpose of my question. But if you read what I wrote, after seeing the block diagram and reading the specs, I figured out that two cables were needed...
When you are dealing with long cables, this does make a difference in terms of cost. I will probably be getting ADI-648 soon.
Cheers!