1 (edited by Manuel 2022-06-14 21:22:53)

Topic: Are gold-plated TRS connectors a waste of money?

I'm shopping for Neutrik TRS plugs to connect gear to my UFX analogue I/O. We all known the theory: gold plating offers good corrosion resistance but wears out quickly because gold is soft, so the general rule is "gold-plated for permanent connections, nickel-plated for things you plug and unplug frequently". That makes sense, but the TRS connectors on the UFX are all nickel-plated. Not saying nickel-plated is bad, but it makes me wonder... surely there is no benefit to be gained from using gold-plated plugs if the UFX jacks are nickel-plated, no? In other words, the weakest link would be the UFX gear would be the weakest link in terms of corrosion resistance. Besides, mixing metals may actually accelerate the corrosion process (see galvanic corrosion).

Have you guys ever experienced corrosion on nickel-plated contacts? I can imagine it being a problem if you live in South East Asia or near the sea, but usually is it a problem?

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

Re: Are gold-plated TRS connectors a waste of money?

Hi, Manuel!

Manuel wrote:

Have you guys ever experienced corrosion on nickel-plated contacts? I can imagine it being a problem if you live in South East Asia or near the sea, but usually is it a problem?

No, I haven 't experienced any corrosion, whatsoever, on nickel-plated contacts!
I guess, as you say, that in very humid areas this might happen but I don't know how long that would take.
The oldest keyboard I have, and the one I have used in the most outdoor gigs doesn't have the slightest trace of corrosion!
And I have it for 24 years!! Nowadays, I use it as a MIDI controller.

A good, solid connector such as Neutrik is all that is needed for me, for balanced cables. And a good screening, as well, for unbalanced ones!
The only gold-plated connectors that I own are on a Monster guitar cable, but that was a gift to myself !

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hi, Manuel!

Manuel wrote:

No, I haven 't experienced any corrosion, whatsoever, on nickel-plated contacts!
I guess, as you say, that in very humid areas this might happen but I don't know how long that would take.
The oldest keyboard I have, and the one I have used in the most outdoor gigs doesn't have the slightest trace of corrosion!
And I have it for 24 years!! Nowadays, I use it as a MIDI controller.

A good, solid connector such as Neutrik is all that is needed for me, for balanced cables. And a good screening, as well, for unbalanced ones!
The only gold-plated connectors that I own are on a Monster guitar cable, but that was a gift to myself !

Very useful reply, thanks! In that case I'll go with nickel-plated for TRS and gold-plated for XLR (to match the RME's choices).

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

I use just normal neutrik xlr connectors smile not sure if that adds anything

ADI2, Digiface, ARC