1 (edited by allthebuttons 2022-06-15 17:01:15)

Topic: TotalMix EQ/Comp when listening back?

I'm thinking of buying an RME interface, and I've been watching the YouTube tutorials for TotalMix FX. I would like to know if the following scenario is possible.

Say I'm recording a singer onto an existing song. I am using the TotalMix EQ and compression just for monitoring, so it sounds good in the singer's headphones without DAW latency.

Is it possible to still hear the TotalMix EQ and compression when listening back to a take (without printing it), or indeed when hearing the previous take before a punch-in?

The obvious way, as far as I can tell, would be to send the vocal to a different software output (middle row in TotalMix FX), add the same EQ/compressor settings there, and route that to the main output. So when recording we would hear the hardware input (top row), and when listening back we would hear the software output (middle row).

The problem with this is that there doesn't seem to be an EQ/compressor setting for channel in TotalMix's middle Software Output row. Alternatively there might be a way of doing it with loopbacks but I can't believe it would be that complicated?

Is there a simple way of hearing the TotalMix EQ and Compression on both input and playback of an audio track during an overdub session, without printing the FX? Thanks.

Re: TotalMix EQ/Comp when listening back?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think you could send your microphone to two outputs while enabling Loopback on one. Then you could record two tracks, one dry and one with the applied eq and comp. Sorry I can't test right now so I may be mistaken.

Re: TotalMix EQ/Comp when listening back?

miguel_cullera wrote:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think you could send your microphone to two outputs while enabling Loopback on one. Then you could record two tracks, one dry and one with the applied eq and comp. Sorry I can't test right now so I may be mistaken.

Thanks for the idea, but I wouldn't want to have to record everything twice.

It's just so that the singer can have compression in their headphones, but when we stop and listen back, the compression doesn't suddenly disappear.

It's possible this is already taken into account but I don't own the unit yet so can't test it!