1 (edited by eXsio 2022-06-16 07:02:17)

Topic: Digiface + Totalmix as pure digital home theather controllers

Hi guys. I know that the vast majority of you use RME products to work with music/sound editing, however I'm looking for a way to build a Windows based home theather PC, that would output multi channel audio on spdif ports.

At first I've stumbled on Minidsp UDIO-8, but then someone on reddit pointed out that RME Digiface would be even better. So, my question is: is there a possibility to configure the Digiface and Totalmix duo to do what I want? And will this work with various streaming (Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, Disney) and media playback (Kodi, Media Player Classic) applications?

I know that for musicians my post may sound silly, but there is literally no out of the box HT receiver/procesor, that would output digital multi channel sound, and I'd very much like to choose my own DACs smile

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Digiface + Totalmix as pure digital home theather controllers

eXsio wrote:

Hi guys. I know that the vast majority of you use RME products to work with music/sound editing, however I'm looking for a way to build a Windows based home theather PC, that would output multi channel audio on spdif ports.

At first I've stumbled on Minidsp UDIO-8, but then someone on reddit pointed out that RME Digiface would be even better. So, my question is: is there a possibility to configure the Digiface and Totalmix duo to do what I want? And will this work with various streaming (Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, Disney) and media playback (Kodi, Media Player Classic) applications?

I know that for musicians my post may sound silly, but there is literally no out of the box HT receiver/procesor, that would output digital multi channel sound, and I'd very much like to choose my own DACs smile

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

To get multichannel digital output from suitable RME interface is NP! Did experiment with 7ch from VLC ok. You might stumble on the PC software side. You need the Dolby processing to work there. Delay etc.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

I have used Digiface USB for exactly the same use as exsio. Later I replaced it with UCXII, but principals are the same.

You can use it only for playback of files stored locally on your disk, No way to play anything from TV or bluray player in MCH, only stereo. Also no streaming services in MCH. Maybe there is a way but I don't know about it.

You have to mix/level channels correctly in Totalmix according Dolby specification. Output PCM channel pairs can be directed to optical SPDIF as you like. I am downmixing to 4.0.
You have to use player capable decoding mch codecs.
For audio for instance Foobar with plugins (including DVD-A, SACD ISO), Jriver, for video Jriver (including bluray media).
Delays can be set in Jriver, via plugins also in Foobar. But only manualy, you have to compute it from speaker distances and latencies.

It works somehow but to say the truth - using some AV preprocesor/receiver is much easier way but more expensive. To have correct Totalmix settings for each recording is not easy because of different channel orders for 5.1 and 7.1, I have several setups (5.1, 7.1, TV, CD inputs) and switch them via ARC USB including volume control.
Digiface USB is very cheap solution if you already have several DACs and want to try MCH. But expect lot of search and studying and sometimes surprises also from RME. Digiface behaves crazy when switching sample rates, there was a thread here about this behaviour. I think it is still not corrected, but I have not checked.

Generally it is workaroud with its problems but also advantages, AV processor is clean solution, maybe something like Trinov.

ADI-2 DAC, Digiface USB, Fireface UCXII, ARC USB, Neumann MA1 aligned monitors

I tried and got the 7.1 output, but: I still used a AV reciever with analog 5.1 input for amplification(processing not avaliable for analog in) so basically just alot of extra cabling and dabbling with erranous software.

I see this as a hobby project with alot of learning potential, if that is your goal, I say go ahead.

If you want surround sound buy an AV reciever/loudspeaker package. It does everything by itself. Its connected digitally to TV or PC via HDMI. Better to pursue Dolby throughput from your Digiface or HDMI sound from graphics card.

Personally I think stereo is good enough for me for movies. I have nice phones, from ADI-2 pro/dac I get detail Ive never heard before from soundtracks. My coaxial speakers give exceptional image and placement of voices and effects, LS50 really shines with movies. There was a reason I shelved the Surround system in the first place.

Not alot of technical advice from me, but I want to advice others before they dive into this. You might end up investing alot, but you may not get so much in return.

Anyway good luck!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_