Topic: UCX II identified as USB Midi Device in Audio Midi Setup

Running Mac OS 12.4 Monterey on an M1 MacBook Pro 16"
Firmware v39 and Driver 4.04 beta

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly but wondering if I can connect a usb midi keyboard to the Mac via usb-c and trigger a synth with it (either Dirtywave M8 or Synthstrom Deluge) by connecting the synth to the UCX via midi cable.

In Audio Midi Setup, the UCXII seems to identify as USB Midi Device.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Re: UCX II identified as USB Midi Device in Audio Midi Setup

+1

Hi, I have the exact same issue. Monterey, MBP M1 Pro 2021. RME UCX (mk1) is shown as "Usb Midi Device". It seems lika a small detail, but since I use UCX for live performances with Ableton, the change of the naming messed up lot of things in my project. For example I use Clyphx Pro script to automatically switch between different midi inputs of the track during the live show. Everything is set to "UCX", so now I have to reprogram everything to "USB Midi Device" or use a workaround - rename manually the device in Mac Audio Midi Setup after every time I connect the UCX. Not a disaster, but I just ask why. When having tens of midi devices, it's quite a neccesity to have every device named with its proper name to not be lost.

Even tried the new mac os beta driver 4.04, with the same result.

Any news about this from RME? I have read on the forum, that midi driver is class compliant, so maybe that's the reason. So is there any chance of having RME midi driver back?
Thank you for any help.

Hi! Is there any news/solution about this?

I've just got my new UCX II and I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm on a MacBook Pro M2 running Ventura

- driver: v4.10 
- firmware: v106

Upon initial installation of the driver and firmware update, the UCX II didn't register as a MIDI device. After multiple restarts of both the computer and the audio card, it finally appeared as "USB MIDI Device" instead of the expected "UCX II MIDI Port" as documented in the manual.

I'm worried about potential future occurrences where the device might fail to appear or undergo a name change, disrupting my project organization.

Any insights or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The MIDI section does not have a driver on the Mac, instead it works "class compliant". USB MIDI Device is correct here.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you for the clarification.

Would it be advisable to manually rename the device from the Audio MIDI Setup page to 'UCX II MIDI Port' for organizational purposes, or would this potentially cause any issues with its functionality?

fabiorizzoli wrote:

Thank you for the clarification.

Would it be advisable to manually rename the device from the Audio MIDI Setup page to 'UCX II MIDI Port' for organizational purposes, or would this potentially cause any issues with its functionality?

No problem afaik. Give any name you like.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue