Topic: how to set up automatic source selection

ADI-2 DAC FS: when I got the unit it detected if the source was coax, optical or USB automatically without having to choose on the remote. Now if I send signal from optical, for example, I have to click optical on the remote. How do I set it up to play automatically from any source?

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-25 19:04:04)

Re: how to set up automatic source selection

You want: “Source Auto mode”.

Remote (manual page 18):

9.1 Keys and Functions
COAX. OPT. USB. Direct selection of the playback source (SPDIF Coaxial, Optical, USB). By pressing the same button twice the ADI-2 DAC activates Source Auto mode.

SPDIF has priority above USB, you need to switch off higher prioritized sources for the automatic selection to happen.

Thank you!

Just got a 2/4 pro and have a followup question to this.

Am I understanding correctly that I need to put the device back into auto mode anytime after selecting an input manually? For instance, if I'm watching tv via optical and decide to put on music I need to manually select coax (because it won't auto switch if there are two signals). Now if I want it to switch back to optical the next time I turn on the tv, I need to remember to set it back to auto? Seems to defeat the purpose, it would be easier to just manually select the source every time.

Would love it if the unit would switch sources every time it detected a new signal, including on the analog input. Or if it could auto wake from standby when detecting a signal, though I guess that's a hardware limitation. Would really increase the usefulness in a hifi/home theater situation.

artishard116 wrote:

it would be easier to just manually select the source every time.

This is how I do it on the 2/4. You need the unit to be set to DAC mode, then you can manually switch inputs with the remote (Optical from my TV, Analogue from my turntable or mic pre/DI, USB from the PC, in my case.)

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-24 17:15:24)

artishard116 wrote:

Would love it if the unit would switch sources every time it detected a new signal, including on the analog input.

As mentioned some postings above, there is a priority ranking of inputs for automatic switching.

If you could arrange your connections accordingly (USB, Optical, Coax, AES, Analog) the result might come close.

But- there’s no way around switching off higher ranked sources for the lower ones to automatically become active.

Saves energy!

artishard116 wrote:

Or if it could auto wake from standby when detecting a signal, though I guess that's a hardware limitation.

Indeed, as ADI-2 doesn’t detect inputs in standby.

To achieve this much more standby power consumption would be needed - not environmental-friendly.