1 (edited by Jperkins 2022-07-02 00:49:02)

Topic: RME AES Cards and Mac Pro w/M2

I know we are a little ways off but is it possible to say if my RME AES PCIe card will work inside the Mac Pro when the new version with M2 comes out? Will it work now in a Sonnet chassis on the Mac Studio with M1?

It's working great inside the 2019 Mac Pro tower with Intel of course.

Thanks.

Re: RME AES Cards and Mac Pro w/M2

It's impossible to know if Apple will allow the Apple Silicon Mac Pro to have internal PCIe (at least the first version) at all. Intel Mac Pro 2019 will be just 3 years old and hardly be replaceable by Apple Silicon soon due to compatibility with professional workflow and hardware. Apple's GPU isn't comparable to AMD or Nvidia just yet (not power efficiency per se but maximum performance). RAM capacity of Apple Silicon is very limited due UMA design, die size and the LPDDR capacity. It could just be a bigger Mac Studio with more powerful chip and more RAM. Thunderbolt is essentially external PCIe, we might all back to dongle life if they choose to do it this way.

„Will it work now in a Sonnet chassis on the Mac Studio with M1?“

…i can confirm that the rme hdspe pci express card (for the multiface) works absolutely perfect within the sonnet se1 chassis connected to a M1 Pro Macbook Pro!…

Thanks. I guess I meant that assuming the new Mac Pro is similar to the 2019 and can still host PCIe cards.

I did the Sonnet chassis thing from about 2014 to 2019 with an iMac Pro and it was fine but I love the tower and having everything inside so I'm hoping that the new Mac Pro is similar and that my RME AES card(s) continue to work inside them.

I have an AES card and AIO Pro.