Topic: Babyface Pro FS - Extend USB cable

I need to get a bit further distance from my Macbook to the Baby face. Is it possible to use an Usb c to c extender to get more distance and will there be a fidelity quality loss of the signal ?? If it's ok can anyone recommend a pro cable product and also the max distance without signal degradation

All the best smile

Re: Babyface Pro FS - Extend USB cable

There can be no (gradual) "signal degradation". Either it works reliably or it doesn't...
Can't recommend specific products, though, sorry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

can't remember what I've seen in other threads here but I seem to recall someone had said 5 meters or maybe 10 feet being the recommended maximum? you can try searching in this sub forum.

because the Babyface Pro FS is USB powered, I'd only go as long as you need since those wires aren't a very large gauge.

as far as recommended products...I would just buy a better known manufacturer from a reputable seller (not pick up a cable from the gas station convenient mart smile )

best,

-Steve

Thanks - sounds promissing. With regards to Daniels answer, I thought that the supplied cable that came with the babyface, was suposed to improve signal quality ?
smile

5 (edited by ramses 2022-07-17 17:21:57)

What irritates me a little. Is it still not known that there are technical specifications that also define the maximum cable length of, for example, USB2? That is this said 5m.

Any USB2 cable that is not longer than 5m should work in principle. If not, it could be due to bad connectors or solder joints. That's why you should not use the cheapest cable but it also does not need to be very expensive.

At higher transfer speeds such as USB3, this shortens and it then also makes sense to pay attention to a cable with good shielding.

Now back to the point of signal quality. Any standard USB2 cable should be sufficient to transfer digital data reliably.
Otherwise you would have to get gray hair every time you back up your data to a USB disk/SSH.

And you can check on your own, whether the data transport over USB is reliable. Open the driver settings window and keep it open so that it still runs and doesn't terminate. If the various CRC counters there stay all at zero, then the "signal quality" was completely sufficient, to be able to reliably differentiate the Volt levels that define a digital "0" and a digital "1", that every bit in the digital data transmission could be recognized and the transmission is error free.

Just use the included USB cable from RME or buy something else to get the desired length up to 5m within the technical specs of USB3. Just don't buy the cheapest as I mentioned. Thats all, nothing more to take care off or worry.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13