Topic: Fireface 800 to USB

I've seen some firewire to USB adapters but do they work with the Fireface 800.  I have a new laptop coming that has USB A & C ports but don't know if it's worth getting an adapter.  Anyone have success with this?  And if so, what did you use?

Thanks,
Jason.

Re: Fireface 800 to USB

No, these don't work. If you have Thunderbolt you have a chance of getting it to work, but without there is no way to add FireWire to a current laptop.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC.  Sadly, I guessed wrong when I went with a firewire device instead of USB.  I've used the 800 as 4 extra mic preamps for my current HDSP 9652 setup, but it hasn't been used as an interface in about a decade.  It really seemed like firewire was the way to go when I originally purchased it.

4 (edited by mkok 2022-07-24 08:00:09)

FireWire was the way to go back then. I had a Yamaha n12 FireWire interface for 10 years and sold it on when I got a new computer. I could have hung on longer but things move on. It’s the way of the world. You are a lot better than you would have with other manufacturers. At least if you have the equipment to use the interface RME would still support. Others stop updating after just a couple of years.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.