Topic: Fireface UCXII or ADI-2 DAC FS for producing and mixing on headphones?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Fireface UCXII because I needed more inputs for recording my synths and also because I was looking for a better DAC and headphone amplifier. Coming from an Audient iD14 mkII the difference in performance and stability is insane and I much prefer the fuller sound of the RME. 

The only thing I'm not really satisfied with is the headphone output; it drives my Austrian Audio Hi-X65 just fine but I found it to lack details and punch. I tried both the high and low settings on Totalmix and it doesn't make much difference. I connected my Monolith THX 887 and noticed a big improvement in details and punch but I never liked the sound of that thing, it widens the stereo field too much to the point of sounding artificial and it is too weak on low bass.

Recently I've been producing and mixing more on headphones and I'm using my monitors as reference. I'm using SoundSource on a Mac with Canopener for crossfeed and Morphit for eq.

So in the last few days I've been thinking about two solutions: 

1 - Getting an ADI-2 DAC FS (the Pro is too expensive for me at the moment) and connect a preamp or audio interface via ADAT to record external instruments (or using a USB audio interface for the inputs).

2 - Sticking with the Fireface UCXII and buy a better external headphone amp.

The fact that the ADI-2 DAC FS has the built-in eq and crossfeed makes it very tempting but I don't know if it would be a noticeable improvement over the UCXII in sound quality, concerning DAC and headphone amp specifically.

Sorry for the long post but I can't stop thinking about this and I didn't know where else to ask.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-14 17:06:50)

Re: Fireface UCXII or ADI-2 DAC FS for producing and mixing on headphones?

First, for recording you should absolutely stay with UCX II.
Every other solution is a downgrade in various ways.

RME’s TotaMix FX offers EQ and other FX that you could try to fit your headphones’ sound.

If you still don’t like the sound of your headphones, get a pair of ones you like.
Trying to fit headphones’ sound by amp changes is a fruitless attempt, amps only offer minor variations of sound changes (EQ and DSP FX excluded).

Once you compare at exact same loudness (and possible FX), the amp differences disappear in the air.

My go to mixing headphones are Drop / Hifiman HE 4XX - the mix results sound great, and being planar magnetics the type of headphone amp is very uncritical.
And it doesn’t cost.

Hi, thanks for your input. I'm not trying to change how my headphones sound because I really like them and after trying several other pairs, including more expensive ones, I decided to stay with the Austrian Audio.

I don't agree with the thing about amp differences disappearing in the air. I made comparisons using a decibel meter to match the volume and I can clearly hear the differences. They're subtle but I can hear them. In the case of the THX 887 the soundstage is wider and the bass is leaner and the headphones sound like they reproduce music better (not the most technical description I know). With the headphone out of the UCXII the sound is more condensed and it feels like there is less separation between elements but the soundstage and bass feel more natural than those on the THX 887. It's difficult to describe it but I'm doing my best.

I was thinking that maybe the sound of the headphone amp in the ADI-2 DAC FS is more in line with the RME sound but with more power to get the best out of my headphones. If only there was a way to try before buying....

I'm in love with the UCXII and Totalmix btw.

KaiS wrote:

RME’s TotaMix FX offers EQ and other FX that you could try to fit your headphones’ sound.

If you still don’t like the sound of your headphones, get a pair of ones you like.
Trying to fit headphones’ sound by amp changes is a fruitless attempt, amps only offer minor variations of sound changes (EQ and DSP FX excluded).

Once you compare at exact same loudness (and possible FX), the amp differences disappear in the air.

My go to mixing headphones are Drop / Hifiman HE 4XX - the mix results sound great, and being planar magnetics the type of headphone amp is very uncritical.
And it doesn’t cost.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-14 22:31:26)

wommas wrote:

..I can clearly hear the differences. They're subtle but I can hear them.

The key word is “subtle”.

That’s my experience too:
not enough difference to significantly change headphones’ or speaker’s sound to correct possible flaws, e.g. add significant amounts of bass to a lacking transducer.

Typical example:
the never ending search for an amp to partner with the famous Sennheiser HD 800S, where 3 dB of well tuned bass EQ would have solved most of the problem, with any amp.

Headphones or speakers for studio monitoring have a different purpose from those made for listening pleasure:

They have to, as easy as possible, lead you to a good sounding mix.
This means they have to show flaws of the recording and mix, but may not sound hyped or lacking anywhere.
E.g. studio monitor has a lot of punch -> resulting mix hasn‘t!

To stay with the example:
I could not do a mix with the Sennheiser HD 800S, EQed or not.

It’s a very personal thing and the resulting mixes are the only judge-able criterion.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Maybe I have to get accustomed to the UCXII sound and see how my mixes translate using what I have currently.  Thank you for your insight!

KaiS wrote:

The key word is “subtle”.

That’s my experience too:
not enough difference to significantly change headphones’ or speaker’s sound to correct possible flaws, e.g. add significant amounts of bass to a lacking transducer.

Typical example:
the never ending search for an amp to partner with the famous Sennheiser HD 800S, where 3 dB of well tuned bass EQ would have solved most of the problem, with any amp.

Headphones or speakers for studio monitoring have a different purpose from those made for listening pleasure:

They have to, as easy as possible, lead you to a good sounding mix.
This means they have to show flaws of the recording and mix, but may not sound hyped or lacking anywhere.
E.g. studio monitor has a lot of punch -> resulting mix hasn‘t!

To stay with the example:
I could not do a mix with the Sennheiser HD 800S, EQed or not.

It’s a very personal thing and the resulting mixes are the only judge-able criterion.

6 (edited by spnc 2022-08-22 20:43:49)

wommas wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Fireface UCXII because I needed more inputs for recording my synths and also because I was looking for a better DAC and headphone amplifier. Coming from an Audient iD14 mkII the difference in performance and stability is insane and I much prefer the fuller sound of the RME. 

The only thing I'm not really satisfied with is the headphone output; it drives my Austrian Audio Hi-X65 just fine but I found it to lack details and punch. I tried both the high and low settings on Totalmix and it doesn't make much difference. I connected my Monolith THX 887 and noticed a big improvement in details and punch but I never liked the sound of that thing, it widens the stereo field too much to the point of sounding artificial and it is too weak on low bass.

Recently I've been producing and mixing more on headphones and I'm using my monitors as reference. I'm using SoundSource on a Mac with Canopener for crossfeed and Morphit for eq.

1 - Getting an ADI-2 DAC FS (the Pro is too expensive for me at the moment) and connect a preamp or audio interface via ADAT to record external instruments (or using a USB audio interface for the inputs).

The fact that the ADI-2 DAC FS has the built-in eq and crossfeed makes it very tempting but I don't know if it would be a noticeable improvement over the UCXII in sound quality, concerning DAC and headphone amp specifically.

Sorry for the long post but I can't stop thinking about this and I didn't know where else to ask.

Buying a better external headphone amp is a must. Don't listen to people who say the difference is negligible, they probably have never mixed on headphones extensively and don't know what they're talking about.

I'm mixing 95% of the time on headphones since I have annoying neighbours and no treated room anyway (only checking translation from time to time on my speakers) and it only really became possible as I bought a dedicated quality headphone amp. I make electronic & dancefloor oriented music and without this combination you won't be able to push at satisfactory high levels (from time to time, of course) to check that your music at 0db sounds great and loud like your reference tracks. Also I've noticed while mixing that amps allow for much more clarity and details in lows/mids/highs, it opens up and make the most of your headphones.

Where I started out I tried the usual budget devices like Scarlett 2nd/3rd gen, Motu (M4, which I still own, best portable USB-driven interface in this category, but limited in power precisely due to USB), Audiotent ID14 MK1, which all around have headphone output around 113/118dbish. Not good enough. I found out later that only the Audiotent MK2 had loud-ish headphone amp (125.5db) in this price range but even so I'd recommend always getting an external amp.

https://d9w4fhj63j193.cloudfront.net/20 … l%20V1.pdf [ID14 MK2]

https://i.ibb.co/37Jj9hp/Screenshot-2022-08-22-at-20-16-45.png

The reason for that obviously is the fact that, at this price point, you can't expect a good built headphone amp to be included in the sound interface. Also, having a dedicated external amp will you not only the power you need to drive hungry (or even normal) headphones, but also more dynamics in combination with the soundcard's external output.

I'm not surprised the UCX II is disappointing when it comes to the headphone amp (113-115db only??), because again, I've never come across a good built-in amp unless you pay more than 2/3k for a sound interface.

The only brand that comes to mind with very good built in amp is the UAD series, for example the Apollo Twin X is known for being powerful with output dynamic range of 127DB and headphone output of 124DB (and better converters than the entry-level competitors obviously)

https://media.uaudio.com/support/manual … Manual.pdf [Apollo Twin X]

https://i.ibb.co/xsBNk34/Screenshot-2022-08-22-at-20-15-04.png

That said, I hate UAD locked system and love everything about RME, including TotalMix and the way it integrates seamlessly with my setup and workflow, so I'm still gonna go for the UCX II because for me it's the best sound interface still as of 2022 at this price point and for my needs. I don't need anything more expensive with more inputs as I do most of my stuff in the box with plugins anyway, a couple hardware synths maybe max. (I'll probably upgrade with the UCX III in the future, hoping they improve the low dynamic range and headphone amp situation to match UAD's. Or the UFX III if they come up with it before (likely), if I need the extra inputs it provides.

And also, because, and this is key, I'm using an external amp. I have noticed RME products are more quiet vs. the competition in terms of dynamic range (115db only for the UCX II!!), so you absolutely need to be aware of this and pair it with an external amp or the ADI.

https://gearspace.com/board/featured-ar … rface.html

"It’s 115dB dyn range in comparison to my Apogee Sym Desktop’s 129dB DA. The truth is if you’re gain structuring properly, it’s no biggie. I really enjoy the TotalMix software. I have had several mixes where I want to get it louder, but hey, the future looks bright for audio."

As of now I'm using the Lake People G103 S MK2 released in December (much improved and more powerful vs. the MK1), with pre-gain set on the +12db selectable, it's excellent for the price 250 EUR, cheaper than the THX/AAA series you have and best in this 200-400 eur range I believe, with very transparent sound.

https://manuals.plus/m/3c5897f78c5e3d57 … _optim.pdf [Lake People G103 S MK2]

https://i.ibb.co/kmr04RF/Screenshot-2022-08-22-at-20-28-28.png

Once I move to the UCX II though, I'll definitely replace the amp as well with the addition of a ADI-2 Pro (dynamic range of 144db) or the upcoming RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE, which I suspect will have least the same db power (if not slightly more).

The regular non-Pro ADI-2 DAC FS you're aiming for is a lot less powerful so I would advise to save up and buy one of the two aforementioned models. Really worth saving if you rely heavily on it daily.

Alternative option and cheaper amp if you want the power without RME - get the Topping A30 Pro (300-350 EUR) or even better quality the A90 Discrete (650 - 700 EUR) which is state of the art and can drive any headphone with great transparent sound. Both come with 145db dynamic range and were released this/last year. Check Audiosciencereview and other places online for full reviews.

Good luck.

7 (edited by spnc 2022-08-22 20:27:12)

wommas wrote:

Hi everyone,

Side note: I've been using Sonarworks, never really gave a try with Canopener and Morphit because I don't like to add up different programs when a single app is supposed to do the job, but they look solid (I love Goodhertz and Toneboosters - also SoundSource is great app indeed to route anything and it works flawlessly so perhaps I should give it a try).

But I ended up hating Sonarworks and how it's not working perfectly on Mac without conflicts when switching sources occasionally, then came across dSoniq Realphones last month, it's such a treat! Unlike Sonarworks it creates its own Realphones System-Wide and that's it! No more conflicts, it's so smooth. Also no need to turn its VST off in Ableton when bouncing audio tracks, because System-Wide is a device on its own! Also the sound is much better than Sonarworks with way more realistic options, better visuals and no artifacts in sound.

Here's the Gearspace, they have a great support as well: https://gearspace.com/board/new-product … rooms.html

8 (edited by spnc 2022-08-22 20:46:09)

wommas wrote:

Hi, thanks for your input. I'm not trying to change how my headphones sound because I really like them and after trying several other pairs, including more expensive ones, I decided to stay with the Austrian Audio.

I don't agree with the thing about amp differences disappearing in the air. I made comparisons using a decibel meter to match the volume and I can clearly hear the differences. They're subtle but I can hear them. In the case of the THX 887 the soundstage is wider and the bass is leaner and the headphones sound like they reproduce music better (not the most technical description I know). With the headphone out of the UCXII the sound is more condensed and it feels like there is less separation between elements but the soundstage and bass feel more natural than those on the THX 887. It's difficult to describe it but I'm doing my best.

I was thinking that maybe the sound of the headphone amp in the ADI-2 DAC FS is more in line with the RME sound but with more power to get the best out of my headphones. If only there was a way to try before buying....

I'm in love with the UCXII and Totalmix btw.

KaiS wrote:

And it doesn’t cost.

"Condensed" is exactly the word I use too, or "compressed", always with most audio interfaces having low headphone output power.

Welcome to the club I've been there, it's a journey to perfect headphone sound quality, loudness, headroom and dynamics smile Very simple actually:

Step 1, you've found your perfect pair of cans, done, good job. Don't listen to KaiS, it has nothing to do with the headphones, even with 3'000 USD Audeze it will still sound shit with no amp - or another way to put it, it will only render 30 to 50% of the headphones potential. So not 'subtle' at all. 'Subtle' won't cut it when we're talking of improving by a magnitude of 50 to 70%.

Now step 2, get the (premium and transparent) amp or the ADI (Pro) your UCX II deserves. That's it fixed, you're welcome.

9 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-23 00:41:49)

@spnc:
As you directly addressed me, I’d like to loosely reply to your arguments.

Headphone amps with integrated DACs, in a recording studio environment, suffer from a common problem, and the RME products are no exception, as they follow the same basic design principles:

Not enough analog gain to fully drive the amp.

The reason is simple:
Digital sources in the studio, during the recording process, leave significant digital headroom.
They are not mastered to 0 dBFS, not EQed, compressed and brick wall limited like a typical contemporary mastered release-song-track.

The difference in perceived loudness can easily be 30 dB and more.
Use a headphone amp with 3,000 mW (3 W, like ADI-2 Pro balanced), subtract 30 dB, and you end up with just 3 mW (no typo!).

This figure is, of course, insufficient for monitoring while playing an instrument.

But the reason is not a weak amp, just not enough analog gain to drive the amp to full power.
Like a car on the autobahn, stuck in the first gear.

Recording hotter is not an option, you don’t want to risk unusable distorted tracks.

I’m using external analog headphone amps with enough analog gain reserve, and no musicians, not even heavy metal drummers, ever complained about the headphones being not loud enough, or sounding compressed / distorted.

From your posting I guess this is your own solution too, an external analog headphone amp.

Outside the studio, just playing finally mastered music tracks from CD, streaming etc., it’s a completely different picture.

I never have problems getting ADI-2 Pro loud enough, even with extremely “hard to drive” headphones like the AKG K-1000.
This is the case where a different amp only makes a marginal difference.
Under these conditions, I’ve never heard an amp so shitty that I only get 30% of a ‘phones quality.
I can’t even imagine what this would mean, to be true.
Hifiman HE-1000 sounds like the $10 pink glitter ‘phones from Walmart?

I’d say the difference is from 95% to 100%, to stay in the picture.

10 (edited by spnc 2022-08-23 02:35:43)

KaiS wrote:

@spnc:
As you directly addressed me, I’d like to loosely reply to your arguments.

Headphone amps with integrated DACs, in a recording studio environment, suffer from a common problem, and the RME products are no exception, as they follow the same basic design principles:

Not enough analog gain to fully drive the amp.

The reason is simple:
Digital sources in the studio, during the recording process, leave significant digital headroom.
They are not mastered to 0 dBFS, not EQed, compressed and brick wall limited like a typical contemporary mastered release-song-track.

The difference in perceived loudness can easily be 30 dB and more.
Use a headphone amp with 3,000 mW (3 W, like ADI-2 Pro balanced), subtract 30 dB, and you end up with just 3 mW (no typo!).

This figure is, of course, insufficient for monitoring while playing an instrument.

But the reason is not a weak amp, just not enough analog gain to drive the amp to full power.
Like a car on the autobahn, stuck in the first gear.

Recording hotter is not an option, you don’t want to risk unusable distorted tracks.

I’m using external analog headphone amps with enough analog gain reserve, and no musicians, not even heavy metal drummers, ever complained about the headphones being not loud enough, or sounding compressed / distorted.

From your posting I guess this is your own solution too, an external analog headphone amp.

Outside the studio, just playing finally mastered music tracks from CD, streaming etc., it’s a completely different picture.

I never have problems getting ADI-2 Pro loud enough, even with extremely “hard to drive” headphones like the AKG K-1000.
This is the case where a different amp only makes a marginal difference.
Under these conditions, I’ve never heard an amp so shitty that I only get 30% of a ‘phones quality.
I can’t even imagine what this would mean, to be true.
Hifiman HE-1000 sounds like the $10 pink glitter ‘phones from Walmart?

I’d say the difference is from 95% to 100%, to stay in the picture.

Thanks for the context, very interesting analog vs. digital and perceived loudness explanation. It is true but in my opinion it's still one part of the problem, the problem being oftentime poor headphone amp in interfaces causing this issue. I mean how come UAD which seems to be the exception here manages to get 127db (124 db headphone) then?

Yes 30% is probably too harsh lol, but 95 to 100% hmm is too extreme on the other side of the spectrum (in my perception and experience and with different low/mid-level interfaces). But I'm not specifically using the UCX II / ADI-2 Pro so I wanna save my assessment for later when I have them I'll report, I'm sure it's awesome including in headphone mixing context.

That said one day I would like to know why the 2021 released RME UCX II only has 115db output dynamic range versus 127db (124db > headphone output) for the similarly priced Apollo Twin X.

A higher interface output would help me and people like @wommas to be confident enough in the RME interface, and prevent having to stack it up with additional amp and/or the ADI, don't you think?

11 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-23 08:50:38)

Dynamic range defines how much noise you got, nothing else, and NOT how loud a device can play.

Not even how a system sounds.

Example:
• CD has a dynamic range of 96 dB.
• Tube amps have dynamic ranges of 80 dB at best.
• Vinyl disc has a dynamic range of 60 dB or less.
• A concert with real musicians has a dynamic range of maybe 50-60 dB, if the audience is very quiet!

Do these sound bad or not loud enough, or noisy - the latter real event maybe noisy - but the others?
DJ playing vinyl disc in a club, ear splitting full power, any audible noise?

Dynamic ranges way above 100 dB are more than sufficient to handle everything you throw at it - without any audible noise.

If you don’t hear noise there is no noise (or dynamic range) problem.

As explained:
What might be missing is simple analog gain to dial up enough volume and fully use a headphone amp’s power capability.
If it’s not loud enough it might sound like bad quality, compared to a louder amp, but isn’t per se - just not loud enough.

For monitoring a recording this IS a problem, I often had with field recorders, until I found a universal solution.

ADI-2 DAC and PRO have a digital gain reserve of 6 dB, that’s 4 times more power, at least.
And they have their clever (Auto-)Reference-Level switching that handles analog gain AFTER the DAC.
Analog amps usually have about 20 dB or more gain reserve.
20 dB is 100 times more power.

BTW: I couldn’t find any gain figures for UAD Apollo X8P in this regard, just a spec’ed power of 150 mW.
Not great, but enough if they are clever and have sufficient gain reserve built in.

KaiS wrote:

Dynamic range defines how much noise you got, nothing else, and NOT how loud a device can play.

Not even how a system sounds.

Example:
• CD has a dynamic range of 96 dB.
• Tube amps have dynamic ranges of 80 dB at best.
• Vinyl disc has a dynamic range of 60 dB or less.
• A concert with real musicians has a dynamic range of maybe 50-60 dB, if the audience is very quiet!

Do these sound bad or not loud enough, or noisy - the latter real event maybe noisy - but the others?
DJ playing vinyl disc in a club, ear splitting full power, any audible noise?

Dynamic ranges way above 100 dB are more than sufficient to handle everything you throw at it - without any audible noise.

If you don’t hear noise there is no noise (or dynamic range) problem.

As explained:
What might be missing is simple analog gain to dial up enough volume and fully use a headphone amp’s power capability.
If it’s not loud enough it might sound like bad quality, compared to a louder amp, but isn’t per se - just not loud enough.

For monitoring a recording this IS a problem, I often had with field recorders, until I found a universal solution.

ADI-2 DAC and PRO have a digital gain reserve of 6 dB, that’s 4 times more power, at least.
And they have their clever (Auto-)Reference-Level switching that handles analog gain AFTER the DAC.
Analog amps usually have about 20 dB or more gain reserve.
20 dB is 100 times more power.

BTW: I couldn’t find any gain figures for UAD Apollo X8P in this regard, just a spec’ed power of 150 mW.
Not great, but enough if they are clever and have sufficient gain reserve built in.

Thanks for the clarification, sounds good then. Can't wait to get hold of them.