Topic: MIDI over MADI functions

Hi all, apologies if this is documented somewhere and I’ve not looked/found it, but what are the possibilities of using MIDI over MADI?

I’d love to be able to remote control preamp gains remotely, is this possible?

I currently use MADIFace Pro with MADI in from around 75-100 meters away sometime, with my preamps located near the performers.

Is there an RME preamp that I can use with my MADIFace Pro and remote change gains on it?

2 (edited by ramses 2022-08-23 06:06:31)

Re: MIDI over MADI functions

There are three remote control options available:

1. MIDI Remote, separate application
    Preamps supported: Micstasy, Octamic XTC

2. TotalMix FX, Auxdevice integration
     Preamps supported: Octamic XTC
     Planned: 12Mic, but delayed since a long time (COVID-19, Chip crisis, …)
     See also: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 70#p190370
     Please place your “+1” there in the thread so that this gets hopefully higher Priority.

3. MIDI Remote
     Preamps supported: 12Mic, AVB Tool, Octamic XTC
    https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33276
    Separate application which uses MIDI over MADI.
    It looks like developing a separate application was quicker doable compared to a full integration into TM FX.
    I still hope that Auxdevice will be developed in the not too far future.

Note: there can be issues if you should intend to mix the different remote control solutions on one MADI bus. You get e.g., side effects (random changes on devices) when using MIDI remote (#1) and Auxdevice (#2) on devices (ADI-8 QS, Octamic XTC) which are connected to the same MADI bus. If I remember right, the Octamic XTC had issues to process/forward the two different remote control protocols at the same time.

> I currently use MADIFace Pro with MADI in from around 75-100 meters away sometime
Up to 2 km between each of the MADI devices is possible (using OM3/OM4 multimode fiber cable).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3. Midi Remote AVB also works with Octamic XTC.

georgob wrote:

3. Midi Remote AVB also works with Octamic XTC.

Thanks, corrected.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the long silence.

So could I use MIDI over MADI to control gain changes on three 12Mics (located remotely) from my recording laptop with USB MADIFace Pro?

Thanks, Dave

Hi all, just bumping this thread to see if anybody is successfully controlling preamp gains on their 12Mic using MIDI over MADI.
Ideally feedback on whether 2 (or even 3) work together.

If so, I can then start moving away entirely from the evil drivers of Antelope Audio smile

Hey!

Yes, I do control two 12Mic via MIDI over MADI. But have to say that it was no easy task to get it working.

I’m using a UFX+, two 12Mic and a MADI Router to connect them all together. MIDI control data is sent on MADI channel 56. I created a loop (UFX+ -> 12Mic A -> 12Mic B -> UFX+), so the MIDI Remote Software can send to and receive from all devices.

Routing on 12Mic A:
- Analog inputs 1-12 to MADI out 1-12
Routing on 12 Mic B:
- MADI in 1-12 to MADI out 1-12
- Analog inputs 1-12 to MADI out 13-24

This should be reproducible without the router, but I found it much easier with it.

I also tried to connect both 12Mic via coax and one 12Mic with the UFX+ via fiber. You can get all audio with the right routing, but the MIDI communication doesn’t work (at least for the second 12Mic, which is not directly connected to the UFX+).

Greetings
Alexander

Fireface UFX+, 2× 12Mic, MADI Router, Digiface Dante
ThinkPad P15, ThinkPad T480s, Reaper