Topic: can the ADI-2's dBu meter be used to determine safe listening volume?

Hello, I'm very much enjoying the RME ADI-2 Pro, but sometimes after a long listening session I notice some mild ringing in my ears (thankfully temporary so far). This has led me to be quite concerned with my listening levels as I would like not to damage my hearing.

Now to the question: I noticed that the display options can be set such that the level meter displays Post-FX dBu.
I did an example calculation by taking this level and calculating the corresponding spl:

For me a comfortable listening level with my DCA Stealth was -30 dBu on the level meter in balanced phone mode.
.775*10^(-30/20) ~ .0245 V, which at 23 ohms is 1 mA of current and .025 mW of power.
At 86 dB/mW we obtain 86 + 10 log(.025) ~ 70 db spl

According to these calculations for a listening volume of 80dB spl I would be able to go up until the level meter shows -20!
Before I start doing so however, I hope some of you may chime in on whether the above method is actually accurate. 

If it is, then the output level meters of the ADI-2 are an extremely useful feature for people that want to protect their hearing!

Re: can the ADI-2's dBu meter be used to determine safe listening volume?

https://www.thomann.de/de/digital_sound … _meter.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

https://allthingshear.com/wp-content/up … -Chart.png

But if you are getting ringing at 70dB SPL you probably need to consult an audiologist.

I've done most of my mastering over the last 15 years at around 77dB SPL (usually no more than 6 hours a day) and have never had a hearing problem. I'm 48 and at my last check-up earlier this year could still hear a 16k sine etc., but then have always been REALLY careful with headphones and gigs.

Do be careful out there!

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-30 07:42:58)

buwaldaf wrote:

...I hope some of you may chime in on whether the above method is actually accurate. 

...If it is, then the output level meters of the ADI-2 are an extremely useful feature for people that want to protect their hearing!

The calculation method is less than an estimate.

Noise exposure is measured completely different.
It‘s about accumulation and average over the noise exposure time period.
There’s no direct connection to the peaks shown in ADI-2’s display.

Google NIOSH for details.

Keep in mind, the limits are for the average Joe, and already are at the edge of hearing damage, long term.
Your ears might well be more sensitive.

Anyway, if you get ear ringing, that‘s your personal, clear red light warning sign that you are significantly above healthy.
Don‘t take that easy - ear damage is irreversible.
Tinnitus likely turns into persistent over the time, for the rest of your life,

Lower your listening level significantly, and avoid normal life‘s loud noise exposures as much as possible.

E.g wear ear protection when working with tools, the $40 each for some quality 3M / Peltor ear protections might become one of the best investments of your liife.
Have one handy where ever you might need it.

There are even individually fitted in-ear protections available, with a defined damping frequency response, e.g. for too loud club or live music events.
HearSafe is one of the companies offering those.
I have them, works well.
https://www.hearsafe.de/

If no ear protection is handy, some pieces of tissue in the ears are better than nothing.

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-29 16:22:30)

Babaluma wrote:

[I've done most of my mastering over the last 15 years at around 77dB SPL (usually no more than 6 hours a day) and have never had a hearing problem.

A studio monitoring system calibrated to the 80 dB standard is, again, a different thing than noise dose measurement.

Music running through such a system can result in a great variety of noise dose results, depending on a lot of factors:
Music style (dynamics), working behavior (listening pauses, low level checks), times you do other work than listening, etc.

Thank all of you for your responses and for being so concerned for my hearing!

KaiS wrote:

The calculation method is less than an estimate.

Noise exposure is measured completely different.
It‘s about accumulation and average over the noise exposure time period.
There’s no direct connection to the peaks shown in ADI-2’s display.

Well you don't need to have the exact SPL your headphones are outputting, it's important to know the upper limit right?

The guidelines for noise exposures are based on averages over a time period yes, but if you know that your music peaks correspond to <80 db SPL and that 80 db is safe for listening 24 hours a day, you know for sure that you're within NIOSH limits as long as the instantaneous peaks of your music never exceed that level I would say.

But yes the 80 dB guideline for safe listening is an average, I have always had sensitive ears so it could be possible that my ears are more sensitive than average and that I would have to limit it to sub 70 dB.

KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

[I've done most of my mastering over the last 15 years at around 77dB SPL (usually no more than 6 hours a day) and have never had a hearing problem.

A studio monitoring system calibrated to the 80 dB standard is, again, a different thing than noise dose measurement.

Music running through such a system can result in a great variety of noise dose results, depending on a lot of factors:
Music style (dynamics), working behavior (listening pauses, low level checks), times you do other work than listening, etc.

I wasn't talking about noise dose measurement I was talking about dB SPL for music mastering and listening. I've never had hearing problems working at that level consistently for about 15 years. Not really sure what your point is.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-29 21:49:04)

Babaluma wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

I wasn't talking about noise dose measurement I was talking about dB SPL for music mastering and listening. I've never had hearing problems working at that level consistently for about 15 years. Not really sure what your point is.

I follow the line the topic starter gave:
How to determine the limit for a healthy noise dose.

If I just take your word, you continuously listen to music at 77 dB SPL RMS for 6h a day you’re not to far from the recommended max. daily noise exposure.
So you may not go to a concert, drive a car on the autobahn or stuff like that for an extended period of time – theoretically.

In reality, adding to the cut-backs I told, anyway normal peak or studio metering of any kind is not the way to go - neither is estimates or calculations based on conventionally SPL measurement.

It needs to be clear, noise dose gathering and calculation is a complex process.

Fortunately the difference works to your favor, and I congratulate you that you managed to preserve your hearing!

Not all of our colleagues did that, I had producers in my studio almost deaf.
One monitored loud enough to drive the drummer of a heavy metal band out of the control room.
It starts with listening a bit louder, working a bit longer ... you get the picture.

9 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-29 21:46:06)

buwaldaf wrote:

Well you don't need to have the exact SPL your headphones are outputting, it's important to know the upper limit right?

... if you know that your music peaks correspond to <80 db SPL ...

Short peaks do not significantly contribute to the integration process noise dose is based on.

If you master music with 77 dB SPL EBU R-128 or ITU Loudness, your peaks BTW are already around 100 dB SPL + the nonlinearity of your speakers., which can easily add another 6-10 dB.

This is for mastered program.
Before master-limited, music can peak 12 or more dB higher.

So you can end up with 115 - 120 dB SPL Peak.
Now you know why studio speakers have to be built different than Hifi.