Topic: adding new mic inputs

Hi to all,
Over the years I've owned several RME unites and all of them were really great. Now My setup consists of a UFX and a UCX II.
But as I am constantly travelling, and sometimes I need recording with 2 microphones and sometimes with 4, I cannot get rid of the UFX, which I would like, because space when you are dealing with airports and all that is an issue. Would anybody recommend a 2 mic preamp, or something small, or any idea that I could carry, when necessary, to expand the possibilities of my UCX II just to get 2 additional mic preamps?.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-08-30 12:34:37)

Re: adding new mic inputs

Many options:

1. get an RME Quad Mic II and connect through analog inputs of your UCX II or UFX, gives you 4 additional preamps

2. second UCX II, both connected through USB and clock synched through ADAT/SPDIF
    little disadvantage: see below *)

3. additional BBF Pro FS (then you have an even more portable interface)
— either standalone via ADAT or
— also connected through USB and clock synched by ADAT/SPDIF as they have the same ASIO driver
    little disadvantage: see below *)

4. getting any 3rd party preamp (connect either through ADAT or by using two of the analog input ports of your UCX II/UFX)
    Note: when connecting through ADAT … if the preamp only has ADAT OUT ports
    Then you might need to synch by using Word Clock or you need to make the preamp to act as clock master
    (which is not bad, as Steadyclock will compensate all potential clock jitter nicely by design).

*) no routing of channels across interfaces, except you use ADAT for transfer of up to 8ch @single speed

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: adding new mic inputs

Thank you!!!