1 (edited by skaleksi 2022-09-09 14:17:24)

Topic: Is pinging external FX via ADAT in Cubase still a no-go with RME?

Hi,

at the moment I have Fireface 800 which is a great interface but the problem is that I cannot calculate the delay for external FX in Cubase when the FX are routed via ADAT (Behringer ADA8000 & ADA8200). I'm looking to buy a interface that supports this.

My question is, has this been fixed in newer models - let's say RME UFX II ?

Thanks, Aleksi

edit: To clarify, Cubase has a simple button for added external FX which calculates and adjusts the delay automatically so there would be no delay or phase issues.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-09-09 15:28:01)

Re: Is pinging external FX via ADAT in Cubase still a no-go with RME?

Aleksi, no ASIO driver in the world can predict, what device you connect through ADAT and what the converter latencies are for A/D and D/A on this unit.

The DAW can “ping” through the signal path to calculate the full latency for a signal going through the whole signal chain, like, e.g., Cubase does when adding an external FX device. Then you get full latency compensation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by skaleksi 2022-09-09 18:20:42)

ramses wrote:

Aleksi, no ASIO driver in the world can predict, what device you connect through ADAT and what the converter latencies are for A/D and D/A on this unit.

The DAW can “ping” through the signal path to calculate the full latency for a signal going through the whole signal chain, like, e.g., Cubase does when adding an external FX device. Then you get full latency compensation.

Thanks for quick reply. Yes exactly, the latter paragraph is what I'm going after. No reason to predict the delay, that's what the delay compensation button is for. Or am I missing something?

However with Fireface 800+ADA8200 this ping comes back as zero = does not work. It does work when I use Fireface 800's own I/O's (=without ADAT).

So do you mean it is now fixed and should work with UFX II/Cubase 12/ADA8200?

I think I can get the UFX II for a test drive before buying it.

4 (edited by skaleksi 2022-09-12 14:53:21)

I figured out I can use a delay plugin like "Voxengo Sound Delay" right after the external FX to compensate the delay. In my case it sounded best when set at 48 samples.