Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

any confirmation from RME that it's an issue with MacOS installation ?

402 (edited by mattrixx 2023-08-16 08:12:11)

n_ogg wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

I've been told it is a Mac OS issue and i corrected in Sonoma, the next OS version release.

Dude, you're literally in all the threads blaming MacOS and telling people how Apple should fix it. Stop with the damage control already. If you have no problems - just don't post, you're not useful AT ALL. This is not Reddit and RME doesn't need your defense

I do have the issues and I am not just defending RME, merely stating the fact.   .....and I DO want Apple to fix it.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Had DK drivers on pristine new macOS Ventura install here. The sound would literally stop when reading from external SSDs on the PCIe bus. Switched over to kext driver - no issue. I am hoping Sonoma fixes this but proof has been hard to find.
It won't be the first time Apple have messed up audio-critical data transfers. Without RME engineers sharing about the problems they're having, we're left guessing. Personally I think RME hardware deserves to be on the PCIe bus. Fingers crossed for a next DK version soon.

Fireface UCX, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

I just wanted to report that all my problems with stuttering audio playback on my M1 MacBook Pro were solved by installing macOS Sonoma beta. Previous macOS versions (I've tested Monterey and Ventura) had serious stutter issues with certain external USB audio interfaces when Memory Pressure got higher.

405 (edited by mattrixx 2023-08-24 11:46:45)

nixx wrote:

I just wanted to report that all my problems with stuttering audio playback on my M1 MacBook Pro were solved by installing macOS Sonoma beta. Previous macOS versions (I've tested Monterey and Ventura) had serious stutter issues with certain external USB audio interfaces when Memory Pressure got higher.

I've heard similar stories, but haven't been able to try the Sonoma beta, due to work commitments.

Also, I've seemed to have solved (with the help of some tech advice) it on my Studio Ultra, by getting rid of a few dated launch daemons and then removing any background tasks that are no longer relevant.
It's Terminal based, so won't post here, as it could potentially cause more problems than it fixes, if not handled correctly.

Looking forward to the release version of Sonoma. (can't remember the last time I said I was looking forward to a Mac OS release.)

----------------
----------------

mattrixx wrote:
n_ogg wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

I've been told it is a Mac OS issue and i corrected in Sonoma, the next OS version release.

Dude, you're literally in all the threads blaming MacOS and telling people how Apple should fix it. Stop with the damage control already. If you have no problems - just don't post, you're not useful AT ALL. This is not Reddit and RME doesn't need your defense

I do have the issues and I am not just defending RME, merely stating the fact.   .....and I DO want Apple to fix it.

I think people get upset at "I've been told.." since it's vague. I get that you may not be able to name your source, but that's why. I'm not quick to blame Apple, but I do think my particular version of this is due to them. It doesn't happen when I'm using the BabayFace FS and my DAW, but it does happen when streaming youtube videos. It's weird, but I would be DAWs ask for higher priorities than youtube, and RMEs driver doesn't demand the same priority of audio or can't, from youtube?

None of this was an issue before Ventura, so maybe there's a connection there.

machinesworking wrote:
mattrixx wrote:
n_ogg wrote:

I think people get upset at "I've been told.." since it's vague. I get that you may not be able to name your source, but that's why. I'm not quick to blame Apple, but I do think my particular version of this is due to them. It doesn't happen when I'm using the BabayFace FS and my DAW, but it does happen when streaming youtube videos. It's weird, but I would be DAWs ask for higher priorities than youtube, and RMEs driver doesn't demand the same priority of audio or can't, from youtube?

None of this was an issue before Ventura, so maybe there's a connection there.

Yeah I get the "I've been too" thing... but I had... and yes, I can't.
However, it's sorted in Sonoma. Period.
Also, I was actually having some, not all of the problems with Monterey.

But anyway, back to the point. RME drivers were not at fault and this didn't happen for everyone.

Cheers

----------------
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

Yeah I get the "I've been too" thing... but I had... and yes, I can't.
However, it's sorted in Sonoma. Period.
Also, I was actually having some, not all of the problems with Monterey.

But anyway, back to the point. RME drivers were not at fault and this didn't happen for everyone.

Cheers

Can a normal user get hold of Sonoma?

Is it possible to select what input is set as primary microphone in Sonoma for multiple input sound cards btw?

naturligasteg wrote:

I think the public release candidate is available via Apple's developer portal here. I have a free developer account. When I click the Download button, the page says "For devices running macOS 13.4 Ventura or later, go to System Settings > General > Software Update > Beta Updates and choose the Developer beta to install this software.. There's also an option to "download a restore image" ipsw file.

Officially should be out on 26 Sep.

Fireface UCX, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

gmarinov wrote:

Ok, I can wait until 26 sep. And I will check primary microphone then.

gmarinov wrote:
naturligasteg wrote:

I think the public release candidate is available via Apple's developer portal here. I have a free developer account. When I click the Download button, the page says "For devices running macOS 13.4 Ventura or later, go to System Settings > General > Software Update > Beta Updates and choose the Developer beta to install this software.. There's also an option to "download a restore image" ipsw file.

It's available now under System Settings/General/Beta Updates
Wouldn't normally recommend, however, I don't believe this release candidate will differ much to what will be released next week.
As always though .. don't do it unless you've got at least a couple of ways back!!

----------------
----------------

I have been using Sonoma since Bata 1 and it has been stable - my audio issues and few others have been resolved when I moved to Sonoma... Hope it will resolve for others as well !

Can confirm that Sonoma (Release Candidate) solved all glitching/stuttering problems I have had the last year(s).

I have updated today my MacBook Pro M1 to 13.6 and the glitching/stuttering problems are solved.

TobiasH. wrote:

I have updated today my MacBook Pro M1 to 13.6 and the glitching/stuttering problems are solved.

That's great to hear. Let's know if it stays that way. As I thought that when going for Big Sur to Ventura, however, it only lasted a day or so.
However, in saying that, it's been said that there were many (unspecified) bug fixes in 13.6, not just a security update.

----------------
----------------

416 (edited by TobiasH. 2023-09-26 15:39:03)

mattrixx wrote:
TobiasH. wrote:

That's great to hear. Let's know if it stays that way. As I thought that when going for Big Sur to Ventura, however, it only lasted a day or so.
However, in saying that, it's been said that there were many (unspecified) bug fixes in 13.6, not just a security update.

I will keep you updated in the next few days. During my last session yesterday everything worked perfectly and without any glitches.

I just noticed there is an official 4.08 version. Maybe this thread should not be sticky anymore?

Hi, I downloaded this driver for UFX+ and when switching back and forth to 802 i need to reboot M1Max to show me TMFX window, else nothing will show up, tried also to logout/login which didn't help, OSX Ventura. Thanks.