1 (edited by stub 2024-01-30 20:01:50)

Topic: Have to force-quit Total Mix to shut-down (FF800/OS 14.3!)

Because Apple's sleep always broke the MIDI connection for my FF800, I'm required to shut-down.

However, after I updated from OS 12.5.1 to 12.6, now something happens with Total Mix where every time I try to shut down, it tells me Total Mix is not responding so I have to force-quit Total Mix in order to shut down.

Seems like Apple loves breaking things with their OS updates.

Any suggestions?

Performer, Teacher, Composer

Re: Have to force-quit Total Mix to shut-down (FF800/OS 14.3!)

Here no issues with OSX 12.6 + TM but different hardware.

My suggestion top 3:
Check if RME driver is the latest
Check if device firmware is the latest
Try a RME driver reinstall as well

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Thanks, fieldstu. We're definitely on the same page. I do have the latest driver & firmware. And I just reinstalled the driver. I'll report back if that doesn't sort it.

Reinstalling the driver did not fix it. This time, I did force quit before shutting down, and I got a crash report, which I copied & pasted to a text file. (I have no clue how to read those, though.).  I did send to Apple. I won't hold my breath though.

You could try the latest TM FX from here:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_177.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

With that work with the older FF800? Perhaps it will sense that a non-FX unit is connected and grey out all those features?

Just try it, should work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yup. It does work. I will need to wait and see if the "unresponsive" issue is resolved. I will report back in a couple days.

THANK YOU!!

No luck. The new version does the same thing.

What I do now is before I shut down, I try to switch the up-front app to TotalMix, but I get a spinning ball, and nothing. I go to Force-Quit and it appears as "Not Responding". I force-quit and shut down.

I did get a crash report for this new version of Total Mix, as well. (But I have no clue how to read it).

Please send the crash report to us, zipped and to support or me.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by stub 2022-09-26 16:32:35)

Thanks for analyzing the crash reports. In the meantime, I noticed that most of the audio continues to function normally after force-quitting TotalMix. Would it be possible to just remove it from the "login items"-- assuming I can just leave the controls alone? In other words, unless I'm actually in an audio production scenario, will the FF800 just function with the last-known mix settings? Just for a temporary workaround.

You talk about two different things. The unit will continue to work withput TM FX. But after a reboot it needs to be initialized by TM FX, so TM FX must be started first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

But after a reboot it needs to be initialized by TM FX, so TM FX must be started first.

Are you talking about the computer rebooting or the FF800 rebooting?

I generally leave the FF800 on. Still, it would be good to solve the issue so I can just operate as normal. Any luck interpreting that crash report? It seemed like it was a million lines of gibberish.

FF800 rebooting.

Unfortunately the crash report did not reveal the exact function that goes wrong. We searched our code and tried to reproduce but were not successful. This is not a known or wide-spread issue, so there might be something very specific on your machine that triggers this behavior.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for checking. I use audio routing software from Rogue Amoeba called Loopback, which might be implicated. I'll reach out to that developer. He is very responsive. Thank you for the update.

Rogue Amoeba didn't see anything that would implicate their loopback software.

I'm still having very regular incidence of TotalMix becoming non-responsive-- with sleeping disabled.

Can I take TotalMix out of my System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items   ? I rarely need to access TotalMix, and if I do, I can just launch the app manually. Or is there some reason TotalMix needs to launch upon booting?

TM FX sets the last used mixer state into the hardware when launched, and that's why autolaunch is usually needed at least once. After that it is no longer needed unless routing /mixer changes are performed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I posted earlier that I thought this issue was solved by the latest beta of TotalMix.

However, the issue is still unsolved. Back to the drawing board.

Hi!

I have a similar problem. FF800 on a new Mac mini M2. TotalMix freezes every time I wake my Mac from sleep.  Audio continues to function as normal and after a farce quit and restarting the program, everything works fine.

This is still unresolved. I have to quit TM every time I launch my MBP. And I would have to relaunch TM every time I want to access it (and hope it doesn't crash during that time).

I did submit a crash report to MC, but haven't heard anything back for two months.

Unfortunately the crash report did not help, and we are unable to reproduce this issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

22 (edited by stub 2024-01-31 03:45:51)

I just updated my M1 MBP to Sonoma 14.3, (from 12.7.2) and the issue persists.

However, I noticed that if I wait about 15-30 minutes, the beachball stops and TotalMix becomes responsive again.

I've tried this all day today and though it does take that long, it does seem to work out whatever is hanging it up.