Topic: Problem with MOTU 896MK3 via Optical and RME DIGIFACE USB

Hi team,
I've issue to connect by TOSLINK my MOTU 896MK3 and the Digiface USB.

In more details I've also the Universal AUDIO OX connected to only the optical in 2 of the Digiface USB.

But let's proceed with order.

CONNECTION
MAC m1 PRO (silicon) --> USB --> DIGIFACE:
Optical 1 IN -> MOTU OUT
Optical 1 OUT -> MOTU IN
Optical 2 IN -> OX OUT

On windows machine I've still connected the MOTU for the "hardware" configuration.
As I understood, I still need to configure the MOTU features that only via "ADAT" otherwise are not available.

The problem and the curiosity here is that:
My guitar --> out SPDIF from the OX --> I'm able to see the meter go UP in the TotalMix FX and the analogically output connected to the MOTU are working good and I'm able to hear.
Otherwise... all 8 outputs of the MOTU itself, are not working...
Or, let's say, I'm able to hear all the sound but only because is not the RME affecting the routing, but are the monitor speaker configured on the MOTU.

Ja. To complicate to explain maybe.
However we can transform in a general question like:

If I'd like to connect an external audio interface and also one other synth, all connected to the RME Digiface... how is the process?!

My clock configuration on the RME is:
Optical 1 (MOTU) ADAT Format
Optical 2 (OX) SPDIF
Sample rate 44.100
Optical 1 current clock source

RME show that MOTU is sync
Another crazy thing is that sometimes (each 5 seconds) Optical in 2 OX is "lock"... but... OX with output guitar is working perfectly.
The MOTU that is not working for the preamplifier IN, is not working :-|

Hope that is more or less clear.
otherwise send me all question to deep dive.
If I'm not solve the problem I've to give back this interface, because I'd like to still use my MOTU!

Re: Problem with MOTU 896MK3 via Optical and RME DIGIFACE USB

In this configuration the OX must be the clock master for all other devices. So all other devices must be set to clock from their inputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,
Thanks for the fast reply.

The OX is the only equipment that has not internal clock.
He needs a master to working.
And on top of that as I said, ox is the only stuff it’s working smile
The problem are the pre amplifier input of may motu not visible in total mix.

Mmm maybe do I need to send the signal of the ox directly to my motu rather than the RME DIGIFACE?
Mmm but I think that this is not the point.

What do you think?
Regards.

Ps
Exist the possibilities opening a ticket to rme to have a remote session with some technician to explain in details and live what I’m experiencing?

4 (edited by ramses 2022-10-07 12:07:28)

Hi Matteo.

matteo.pidala wrote:

The OX is the only equipment that has not internal clock. He needs a master to working.

Of course, the device has an internal clock, otherwise the A/D conversion in the device would not work.

The OX will send its clock signal via its digital outputs (optical and coaxial SPDIF), just like any other device does
if it is not configurable as a clock slave because it has neither digital inputs nor word clock
(like preamps, DAT recorder and what not).

The RME forum contains already many articles about this topic of clock configuration.

matteo.pidala wrote:

Exist the possibilities opening a ticket to rme to have a remote session with some technician to explain in details and live what I’m experiencing?

I would first implement what Mr. Carstens has recommended to you.
The steps that need to be performed are not that hard.

So, the OX is the clock master … it will send clock information out on any of his digital I/O ports (optical+coax SPDIF).
Configure the RME recording interface in the driver settings, clock source ADATx (the port where the OX is connected to).
All the other devices also needs to be configured to get clock via ADAT from RME recording interface.

As a side note, should you be worried now to clock your whole environment based on the UAD clock … there is nothing to worry.
RME's SteadyClock technology removes any jitter from an incoming clock signal and refreshes the clock signal.
So, any other clock slave in your setup will get a “purified” / refreshed clock signal.

You should watch this very interesting video about SteadyClock FS, which is available in two languages:
EN: https://youtu.be/Ti0aHW-zYcs
DE: https://youtu.be/6rcBVuWOHiw

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13