Topic: RME ADI-2 Pro FS front panel buzzing

Hello RME members,
I got my first RME product yesterday - RME ADI-2 Pro FS (not BE - it was sold out). When I came home, I connected it to my MacBook on battery and my Audezes with metallic grills, and I loved it, but as I was playing with the EQ, I had to readjust my headphones, and I immediately got a loud buzzing sound from the headphones. Then I touched my MBR to pause the music, and this time the laptop’s surface buzzed me. I immediately disconnected everything and started to search for the source of it. It turned out that the front panel of the RME has some current going over it (sensible to the touch) when nothing else is connected to the RME, which immediately got me thinking that there is a problem with (1) the unit and with (2) the PSU and its grounding. I checked the power supply, which, lo and behold, is of figure 8 (there is no grounding wire with them). So I experimented further, and I connected it back to my MacBook, and this time connected the laptop to the outlet, and the RME found ground through the USB, to the laptop motherboard, its PSU and finally to the outlet ground. I’m contacting RME on Monday and the dealer about the issue, but while I’m waiting over the weekend, I was wondering what kind of PSU you are using? I believe if I had used a grounded PSU, I wouldn’t have noticed the issue, but at the same time, it feels safer to my layman’s thought process to have this safeguard.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-09 09:06:15)

Re: RME ADI-2 Pro FS front panel buzzing

Hi Georgi,
we had that discussed several times here.
You‘re the first “layman” having correctly analyzed what’s going on.

As with every ungrounded, 2-prong power supply there is some low amount of stray current creeping from the mains to the audio devices.

This is not dangerous, the energy transferred is far too low to hurt, so if you can live with it, go for it.

Medical grade PSU’s have less stray current, but not zero BTW.

In some configurations an audible buzzing can appear in planar magnetic or electrostatic ’phones.
In these cases any kind of grounding anywhere in the chain resolves the issue.

In other config’s a grounded PSU on the ADI-2 would exactly cause such a problem (ground loop), so it’s better like it is, as you can always add a ground, but removing one is by no means advisable, for safety reasons.

This would be a solution to add a ground if no other connected device does the job:

https://smile.amazon.de/Warmbier-Erdung … uage=en_GB

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51fkZPlKJfL._AC_SX679_.jpg