1 (edited by omarmedina 2022-10-09 11:54:23)

Topic: CV from Ableton to Hardware synth

Hi,

I am trying to control my semi-modular synth using the cv tools from Ableton routing cv output through my RME Fireface UCXII

The level meter in Totalmix FX (from Ableton to the audio interface) hits its maximum displaying a constant red.

I see I can control the output, dialing from the hardware output channel in Totalmx FX to Ableton but is unclear to me what is the right amount (and safe for my gear) to send.

A simple example: when trying to calibrate pitch. CV tools in Ableton say the signal isn't sufficient enough to perform, but I see red clipping unpleasantly the metering levels in Totalmix FX.

What are the ratios of conversion from the digital audio stream (and display in Totalmix FX) to the actual CV outputs values?

Re: CV from Ableton to Hardware synth

1. Use a lower input sensitivity on your inputs +19 dBu
    Check that variable gain is set to 0.
    You find this in TM FX at the analog channel -> click to “tool/wrench” symbol.

2. Do not turn the output volume of an external device to maximum

If you see on the external device that the analog input gets too high signal or is overloaded,
then use a lower output (reference-) level on the HW output of your recording interface.
Like above, you find this in TM FX at the analog channel -> click to “tool/wrench” symbol.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: CV from Ableton to Hardware synth

The UCX II manual includes everything you need to know about CV, including voltage relations: chapter 20.3 DC-coupled outputs (CV/Gate)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME