Topic: “Standard” RTL for Pro BE on Mac?

I was doing some troubleshooting and uninstalled Rogue Amoeba’ s ACE from my 2020 iMac (latest Monterey) and my RTL figures jumped up in Logic by 3ms or so on all settings. I was getting good but not great numbers while ACE was installed so this is just strange. I’m doing an os reinstall just in case ACE did some damage when I removed it but I’m curious what “normal” should be.

2 (edited by Outerface 2022-10-13 15:39:40)

Re: “Standard” RTL for Pro BE on Mac?

After reinstalling Monterey, nothing has changed.  Which basically means that removing ACE had no effect on coreaudio latency performance.  Were things faster with ACE or was I imagining things?  I'll look into that later but I asked Rogue Amoeba and they don't think ACE should have any effect either way.  For now, ACE stays uninstalled.  In case you're curious, here are a few represenative numbers.  SR 44.1, Buffer 64 = 9.6 ms, Buffer 128 = 12.5 ms.  SR 88.2, B 64 = 7.8 ms, B 128 9.2 ms. SR 192 B 64 = 6.9ms, B 128 =7.6ms.  Overall, performance is pretty much in line with what you see in most coreaudio devices.  From what I've seen, the gains from custom drivers seem to come mostly at higher sample rates (i.e. those crazy <3ms times).  And yes, I know the ADI-2 Pro line aren't "interfaces."  I'm not asking it be something it's not.  And no, I'm not going to buy a Babyface.

Re: “Standard” RTL for Pro BE on Mac?

Interestingly, if you keep the ADI Pro as the input device but use the iMac’s built in speaker as the output device, you can lower the RTL significantly, about 1-2 ms. So, the iMac’s headphone output isn’t as great as the ADI’s but there is a clear advantage if low latency is your priority.