Topic: RME Pro AES digital input to Genelec powered speakers

I use RME DAC ,with analogue xlr , for Genelec 8340A powered speakers and GLM . I am acquiring a RME Pro soon.  Would I notice any sound quality improvements using all digital AES input?  Would I loose RME volume control with speakers?  Any other cons?

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

Re: RME Pro AES digital input to Genelec powered speakers

I use my ADI-2 Pro with Genelecs in my home edit suite and have always used analogue inputs.  Even in our facility with SSL consoles having digital outputs, SSL recommends keeping your monitor path ANALOGUE.  Their reasoning is that they can keep the digital signal at the highest bit-rate throughout the console and ONLY do D/A conversion prior to the control-room level out.  They explain that if you kept it digital, the bit-rate would change as you change the gain... not exactly what I'd want.

RME may have a different philosophy but I doubt you'd hear the difference, anyway.

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-10-29 07:42:58)

Re: RME Pro AES digital input to Genelec powered speakers

The main reason to stay in the analog domain for monitor volume, it’s easier to handle signals that are not peak limited in studio recording and mastering situations.

At this point the necessary headroom could be missing if the monitors are calibrated to the 0 dBFS = -14 LUFS = 76 dBC SPL standard.

See:
https://www.masteringthemix.com/blogs/l … ome-studio

To circumvent this with digital connection, either:

• Set ADI-2 to 0 dB Volume, and use Genelecs dedicated hardware Volume Controller to set your loudness.

or:
• Set ADI-2 to -15 dB Volume as “Standard”, and calibrate the Genelecs to your “normal” listening level.

Now you can dial up quieter signals.

Will it sound different to you?
Try, only you can decide.

Usually it‘s a good idea to bypass unnecessary DA-AD conversions.