Topic: Fireface 400 stopped working

Connected via MacBook -> USB-C-to-Thunderbolt adapter -> Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter ... it still worked until today.

The last months some problems began to approach. After connecting and powering on the interface, the LEDs flickered and I could hear some flappy noise, which got higher and higher in between of seconds, until the artifacts finally disappeared - incompletely. There was still some noise. My usual procedure was to dis- and reconnect the power of the interface. After booting up the second time, it always worked perfect.

Today, the interface stopped playing any sound. The OS is still able to detect and select it as usual. TotalMix even shows the interface playing. When dis- and reconnecting power again, the results differ from time to time. Sometimes, the LEDs lighten up just a bit. Another time, everything keeps dark. Sometimes I hear some noise rising up and disappear. Left and right at a different time. Then everything looks like normal again. In any case, the interface seems to refuse playing back any more sound coming from the computer.

I checked the output of the AC adapter: 12V. No idea, if it still delivers the required 12W, like the label above the interface power input shows.

Any idea how to further check, fix this or what else to do?

Re: Fireface 400 stopped working

Try another 12 to 15 VDC power source, if possible.

If that doesn't resolve the problems, I'd bet your FF400 needs a recap. Open it up and check if you can see bulging capacitors. There's a number of big black* ones that are easy to spot. If you see any of them bulging or leaking it's time to replace all electrolytic caps.

Electrolytic caps have a limited lifetime, even if some last longer than others. It's got more to do with temperature than with quality. The hotter the environment, the shorter their life is.

* The ones I saw were all black, but it's possible that the ones in your FF400 are blue, or orange, or...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Connected an old notebook power supply and ... hell yeah, it works again! You saved my home studio! Thanks a lot for the hints. If changing the power supply doesn't work the next time, I'll definitely come back and try to check the capacitors.

Btw: that was a great chance to hear, how primitive the MacBook headphone output is in comparison. The FF400 is still an excellent device!

cheers!

Great!

I like the headphones out too, even compared to the one on the Digiface USB.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...