1 (edited by spacemaster 2022-11-20 14:20:22)

Topic: RME Babyface orange LED on right channel only

Hello, the bottom right LED lights up in orange on my legacy Babyface when it is connected to my laptop whilst the laptop is on the charger. If I disconnect the laptop from the charger, the orange LED turns off. TotalMix indicates that 48v isn’t activated. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Re: RME Babyface orange LED on right channel only

Perhaps your laptop limits output current to USB connectors when being powered by internal battery? (Manufacturer and model # of laptop would be helpful in troubleshooting)

Have you tried the Babyface on another computer?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012). I have not tried the Babyface on another computer. It seems that this only happens when the laptop goes into sleep mode and is being charged. I would like to know what the orange LED indicates. I have found no answer in the manual.

Page 7 of the owner's manual:

"The two LED bands show the current gain, the input or output level, or indicate the channel to
be set, all dependent on the current mode. The lowest LED signals phantom power (+48 V,
orange)
, the highest one overload (Clip, red). "

Exactly, and this is the problem. As I said, phantom power is not enabled (checked in TotalMix) hence the question why the lowest LED signal (orange) shows.

Chapter 32, 48 V Phantom power on/off. Try that, the unit might be in stand-alone mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Jaroslav_Stika 2024-01-29 21:46:02)

The orange LED typically indicates that the device is drawing power from the laptop's USB port, which is normal when it's connected to the charger. However, the fact that TotalMix shows 48v isn't activated suggests there might be a power configuration setting that needs adjustment. In my experience, understanding the nuances of technology, especially when it comes to strange LED behaviors, can be really helpful. I've found useful information from various websites; one that I've visited is https://leds.to/ , which might offer some insights into your issue.