1 (edited by kingstoler 2022-11-27 01:39:19)

Topic: Noise when using RCA out.

Hello, new ADI 2 DAC Fs owner here.

So my issue is when I use the RCA out to an external amp (Burson Conductor) I get a lot of noise, especially when I move my mouse. Even when the ADI is on standby. I had no problems when I first got it, (at least from what I could notice), and it started after I updated to the latest firmware. I use USB from my PC to ADI, RCA out to Burson.

Edit: The issue is ONLY when the USB cable is connected while using RCA out. It works fine via optical, and USB is fine when using only ADI's amp. Any suggestions on what I could do?

Re: Noise when using RCA out.

The noise origins from the PC and is transmitted through ground/shield connection to the Burson Conductor.
ADI-2 is just an inter-step on that path, in a way that doesn’t change with Firmware.
Else I would recommend to install an earlier FW.

Maybe you dial the Burson’s volume more up now, having ADI-2’s Volume more down.
What’s your typical ADI-2 Volume AND Ref. level, in dB or dBr (r indicates Auto Ref Level is on).

Things you can do, in order of relevance / effort:
• Dial up ADI-2’s Volume, dial down Burson.
• Install a ground wire to one of ADI-2’s screws.
• Use an USB isolator.

Ground wire example:
https://smile.amazon.de/Warmbier-Erdung … amp;sr=8-2

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51fkZPlKJfL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Thank you for the answer!

I'm on -38 to -42 dBr while using ADI's amp and -5 dBr on Line Out. Both with Auto Ref Level On. I tried turning down the Burson before but nothing seems to work. I think there might be a grounding issue somewhere. There's a static noise, and a high pitch noise while moving the mouse, and a deeper noise while scrolling so it's definitely originating from my PC.

Your levels are fine, nothing to optimize in this regard.

Would be interesting if the noise is still there if you turn the Burson’s volume all down.
Seems there’s a whole family of devices, which Burson Conductor model exactly do you have?

Anyway - the probable solution is the grounding of ADI-2, e.g. on a case screw or the silver D-Sub-9 locking screw.
This should deduct the noise current away from the Burson.

If you have some wire you can test it, but please don’t stick the wire into any mains outlet’s hole, to avoid being electrocuted.
Use any metal cased grounded device to temporarily pick a ground connection.
You can even try case-to-case contact, grounded device to ADI-2, for this test.

Only if nothing else helps go for an USB isolator.
These don’t come cheap and tend to cause other problems.

It's the Burson Conductor V1, an older model. It has two different Line In inputs and the noise is there on either one. The noise is the same no matter what volume I have the Burson on, but it's barely noticeable with 300 Ohm headphones. I'll try your suggestions!

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-28 14:28:25)

kingstoler wrote:

It's the Burson Conductor V1, an older model. ...

If I get it right this thing is headphones only amplifier.
I was in the obviously wrong assumption you are using speakers with it, because some of the Burson offerings have speaker outs.

Why not just, for the moment, use ADI-2’s headphones out?

7 (edited by kingstoler 2022-11-29 00:56:44)

It can be used as a preamp for speakers too. https://6moons.com/audioreviews/burson10/5.html

If I really want to use an external amp I could just use optical and disconnect the USB cable to completely get rid of the noise, but then I lose DSD support. I use ADI-2's headphone out at the moment and it's more than enough, as I have a really hard time to notice any difference between the two amps, but I might add a tube amp in the future.

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-29 08:43:14)

kingstoler wrote:

It can be used as a preamp for speakers too. https://6moons.com/audioreviews/burson10/5.html

But you don’t have speakers connected, right?

kingstoler wrote:

If I really want to use an external amp I could just use optical and disconnect the USB cable to completely get rid of the noise, but then I lose DSD support. I use ADI-2's headphone out at the moment and it's more than enough, as I have a really hard time to notice any difference between the two amps, but I might add a tube amp in the future.

I wouldn‘t worry about possible noise issues for future amps.
Each amp is different and reacts differently.

The fact that the noise does not go away when you bring Burson‘s volume all down clearly points to it‘s less than ideal construction, regarding the internal ground path.

Compare that to ADI-2, which has to suffer from the same ground noise current running through it, but stays completely unaffected.

Anyway, even this one could be solved, with more or less effort.

BTW, your PC is a laptop or a tower/desktop cased one?
Three prong or two prong mains connector?
The cased ones often use plastic pins for mounting the mainboard, disabling the mandatory mainboard-to-case ground connection.
A simple metal screw close to the USB connector possibly solves the noise.

9 (edited by kingstoler 2022-12-01 05:48:56)

Correct, no speakers.

It's a desktop PC, sitting on my desktop. Two prong main connectors.

I also dug out an old amp from storage (Musical Fidelity X-Can V8) and there is no noise with that amp, dead silent even with sensitive headphones (LCD-X). So the problem must be with the Burson.

kingstoler wrote:

Hello, new ADI 2 DAC Fs owner here.

So my issue is when I use the RCA out to an external amp (Burson Conductor) I get a lot of noise, especially when I move my mouse. Even when the ADI is on standby. I had no problems when I first got it, (at least from what I could notice), and it started after I updated to the latest firmware. I use USB from my PC to ADI, RCA out to Burson.

Edit: The issue is ONLY when the USB cable is connected while using RCA out. It works fine via optical, and USB is fine when using only ADI's amp. Any suggestions on what I could do?

I would recommend to separate this Burson of yours and ADI from each other permanently from degrading ADI´s performance. Donate Burson to Unicef or throw out of window, for example. 

ADI can deliver +22 dBU (9,8 Vrms, 13,8 Vp) of voltage to cans. It does this with impeccable headphone amplifier other properties:

-VERY large current (voltage x current = power) reserves

-VERY little noise

-VERY low output impedance.

+22 dBu is a very large signal level (voltage) for headphones. Most normal headphones can´t even handle this much i.e. their drivers clip or they distort otherwise earlier or much earlier. Distorted or not,  the end result (sound pressure level) by putting +22 dBu to any headphone, is ears blowing.

So one does not need to be particular Audio Einstein to derive the audio relativity theory -level circle conclusion that ADI DOES NOT NEED ADDITIONAL AMPLIFIERS for headphone use in 99,5% of use cases.  It does so in case of passive SPEAKERS only. For line level operations, i.e. for headphones and active speakers, its fully armed driver by itself.

Most likely practical consequency of hanging extra amplifiers to ADI´s ass is massive penalty shot to its excellent SNR; ADI´s ~115 dB SNR values are definitely gone. Plus very possible ground-loop -related extra problems, like in your case with this Burson.

Now as a sign of amendment, show your ADI the esteem it deserves: by giving it the full and exclusive amplification & playback responsibility in your headphone system. smile

MstrC-117 wrote:

I would recommend to separate this Burson of yours and ADI from each other permanently from degrading ADI´s performance. Donate Burson to Unicef or throw out of window, for example.

Are you actively aiming at being obnoxious, or is it perhaps a language problem or the saddest ever attempt at humour?

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

12 (edited by MstrC-117 2022-12-02 22:36:05)

ebmmbongo wrote:

Are you actively aiming at being obnoxious, or is it perhaps a language problem or the saddest ever attempt at humour?

You too happen to have extra headphone amplifiers in conjunction to ADI? How many chained amplifiers you have, in total?

Record I have seen is ADI + three (3) additional headphone amplifiers in a row. It went something like this

ADI ---> fore -headphone-power-amplifier ---> secondary -semi-final-headphone amplifier ---> the-final-stage-primary -headphone amplifier

If ADI could start drinking, it would definitely do so in these cases...

MstrC-117 wrote:
ebmmbongo wrote:

You too happen to have extra headphone amplifiers in conjunction to ADI? How many chained amplifiers you have, in total?

Record I have seen is ADI + three (3) additional headphone amplifiers in a row. It went something like this

ADI ---> fore -headphone-power-amplifier ---> secondary -semi-final-headphone amplifier ---> the-final-stage-primary -headphone amplifier

If ADI could start drinking, it would definitely do so in these cases...

No, but I am sure I have equipment that you don't approve of, and reading you question I realize the answer to my question to you is that you are making jokes. Very odd jokes to me, but now tha I know I can take your posts for what they are;-)

So, a Sennheiser HDVD800 connected to a Babyface Pro fs, make you sick yet?
How about the same Babyface connected digitally to a Yamaha WXC-50 which in turn is connected to speakers with built in dac?
Or how about the fact that I record bass with a compressor pedal engaged?
Oh, I also have a dac that soulds wonderful when you transcode pcm to dsd.
And I positively hate crossfeed.
G'night:p

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

14 (edited by kingstoler 2024-03-31 01:44:41)

I will bump this thread just in case anyone is googling the same problem.

I have zero noise via USB now. The solution to my problem was to move the PC from the desk to the floor, and use a completely different power strip from a different outlet, while my audio equipment is on a different power strip from another outlet. All my outlets in this house are ungrounded. I don't know why this works but all my amplifiers are dead quiet via USB to Line Out now.