Topic: RayDat with Sonett echo express SE1 on Mac Mini M1

Hello,

My old MacPro 5.1 will retire soon, so I´m thinking about a new setup with MacMini M1. I want to keep my Raydat and found a sloution to build a custom TB interface with the sonnet echo express se1 TB3.

Raydat shall be the master, BF pro FS shall give the reference clock and plugged via USB to the Mac Mini (to get acces to TmFx for routing) and ADAT to the Raydat, my two Rosetta 800 will be plugged via ADAT to the Raydat for analog summing.

I am planing to plug the BF to the Mac  TB / USB C port with a adapter USB  to TB or USB C cable. Does this work and are there any suggsstions about cable manufacter or specifications?

I still hesitate after reading about issues with BF drivers and Mac M1. Are there any issues with the Raydat too and does it affect the babyface when using the USB connection only for routing / fx options?

My second idea is selling one Rosetta and the Raydat and plugging the BF via USB to the Mac and connecting the Rosetta via ADAT to BF PRo FS. I´d still had 10 inputs for summing, that should also work.

Thanks in advance.

Jens

J. Illmann, Mannheim
RayDat, Babyface pro fs, Apogee Rosetta 800, Little Vintage Maker

Re: RayDat with Sonett echo express SE1 on Mac Mini M1

So .. no ideas? Summary:

1. Still issues with mac Mini m1 and Babyface Pro FS?

2. Any issues with Mac mini m1 and Raydat?

Analog summing:

3. Raydat via   a) custom Thunderbolt interface with Sonnet echo express se1 or b) Digiface USB or

4. Only Babyface via USB (with one 8ch  i/o Adat device)?

To me, a solid and reliable system is more important than lots of in / outs.

J. Illmann, Mannheim

3 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2022-12-02 10:18:22)

I can't answer all your questions and ideas but can confirm that a) HDSPe RayDat b) HDSPe Madi c) HDSPe MadiFX all work great in a TB3 enclosure (Sonnet and Akitio) on a M1 MacBook Pro Max. In the past I used 2 RayDat and 1 Madi card which were connected by 2 TB3 cases (internally synched) but switched to one Madi FX because its more convenient for me.
I also want to add, that I don't like USB connections and audio too much and think that TB3 works better and more reliable for me. That of course is just my personal opionion and not a fact smile

Thanks a lot, that helps a lot. I also prefer PCIe / TB over USB.

J. Illmann, Mannheim