Topic: How to create software playback channels

I use Babyface Pro, and I only have one stereo software playback channel in TotalMix FX. How can I create more?

2 (edited by ramses 2022-12-13 11:27:07)

Re: How to create software playback channels

Rcuzer wrote:

I use Babyface Pro, and I only have one stereo software playback channel in TotalMix FX. How can I create more?

SW playback channels are normally equal to HW outputs.

Did you perhaps hide channels? Then unhide.

Alternatively you could try whether a total reset of TM FX helps. Save Snapshots and Workspace first, so that you can come back to current settings if needed.

Once everything works save snapshots and workspace.
You can also store the workspace additionally into a quick Workspace Select slot.
Then you can also restore it quickly from there, also with a key combination: ALT-1 to recall Workspace from slot 1.

A Workspace contains TM FX GUI settings and location on screen, as well as the 8 Snapshots with the routing, etc, see manual for a detailed description.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

And are you looking at the middle row? You should have 12 mono/6 stereo

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

4 (edited by ramses 2022-12-13 18:33:29)

mkok wrote:

And are you looking at the middle row? You should have 12 mono/6 stereo

Good idea, maybe he means two channels in the control room. But these are HW outputs that have been assigned to control room using the "assign" button to have control room features for them.

A screenshot would be helpful for clarification.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, and thanks for the answers. I'm talking about the middle raw. What I want to achieve is have separate virtual channels for system and DAW audio output to control them individually.

What exactly doesn't work as expected?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Rcuzer wrote:

Hi, and thanks for the answers. I'm talking about the middle raw. What I want to achieve is have separate virtual channels for system and DAW audio output to control them individually.

Sure, possible.
What OS do you have?

If Windows:
Create WDM device in driver settings and make this to speaker device. In most cases AN1/2.
Under Windows sound you find this speaker device. Make this to your Windows default sound device. Now Windows and all other applications that do not support ASIO use AN1/2. You will see this sound in the middle row on channel SW playback AN1/2.
For the DAW route its stereo sum to AN3/4. Audio will appear in the middle row on channel SW playback AN3/4.
3. In submix mode select the hw output for monitors or phones.
Create / modify the submix for this particular output by simply moving the fader in the middle row for SW playback 1/2 and/or 3/4 as you like.

But please send the screenshot of TM FX Window, it is very unusual that you see so few channels in the middle row.

8 (edited by Rcuzer 2023-02-22 11:28:11)

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for my late response. Questions:

1. I use Windows. I'm not sure where to find the WDM device. Is it the RME Babayface Pro "Speakers" as shonw in the screen cap below?

2. Can Total Mix help me routing output from different applications to different sw outputs? For example VLC player to 5/6 and Unreal Engine to 7/8?

https://i.postimg.cc/vZfKRh2w/tm.png

9 (edited by ramses 2023-02-22 12:16:17)

In the RME driver settings (see also manual).
Create WDM devices only for those I/O ports that you need (*).
You will see those WDM device in Windows sound settings immediately.

(*) In the old days when CPUs were not so powerful, the enabling of WDM devices for *all* I/O ports could create issues, especially when the card had many I/O ports. Issues like very high CPU load up to hang if I remember right.

Although nowadays, it might be no issue anymore it is recommended (best practise) to better create WDM drivers ONLY for those I/O ports that you require. By this, you are always on the safe side.

Side note regarding your screenshot:
In TotalMix, SW playback channels are always there and correspond to the real HW outputs.
In the screenshot you are in the channel layout which you can, e.g., use, to see only selected channels for a better overview. Useful if you have an interface with many ports (interfaces with MADI ports).
Then you can also save these customized views in so-called Layout Presets, e.g. to see all channels or only channels of the interface or the external preamp, etc.
But it has nothing to do with the creation of WDM devices or creation of SW playback channels...

Thanks so much for the reply, I will dig into the manual to learn more about WDM's