Topic: Auto gain setting option ? (Babyface Pro)

Hi

Is there an option to automatically adjust the gain of an input, meaning when the option is engaged, the gain will be lowered if it detects clipping ?

I'm using a Babyface Pro on a mac

Thanks

Re: Auto gain setting option ? (Babyface Pro)

grandpaface wrote:

Hi

Is there an option to automatically adjust the gain of an input, meaning when the option is engaged, the gain will be lowered if it detects clipping ?

I'm using a Babyface Pro on a mac

Thanks

On many RME interfaces yes, but not on the Babyface.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

3 (edited by ramses 2022-12-14 12:53:36)

Re: Auto gain setting option ? (Babyface Pro)

The feature is called Autoset.

Available on (from memory):
     (UCX, UFX), UCX II, UFX II, UFX+
and the following preamps:
     Micstasy, XTC and 12Mic.

I use it often to find optimum level on UFX+ for Instr inputs (e.g. for e-guitar). But during use I turn it off to stay exactly on this level.
As my humbuckers are nearly at the same level I store the settings in a TM FX snapshot to have it ready for use.

You can leave it on for Mics, but if somebody touches the Mic hard, you might get a high peak input signal. Then Autoset automatically adjusts the input gain down. But then the rest of the recording might suffer from a too low input gain / level.

You need too check what makes more sense, to use it once to find proper gain with a good threshold (-6 dB if I remember right) and to keep it on or not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13