1 (edited by tragic-fossils-02 2022-12-16 06:06:22)

Topic: Fireface USB Settings unavailable: Mac 4.06 Driver: Babyface standard

Please let me know if I should post this elsewhere.

I have a Babyface standard and recently upgraded my laptop to an M2 MB Air. I could not get anything to work with the 3.x drivers but the USB 4.06 driver is making my laptop recognize the Babyface. I can see it in Logic and System Settings–it says "Babyface (xxxxxx)".

The problem is that I cannot open Fireface USB Settings. I can open Totalmix, but there is no window, and when I try to open a new mixer or matrix window there is no selectable device. Thus, I cannot open a Totalmix window to control the device.

I have tried restarting the laptop and switching between CC and normal mode on the Babyface. I seem to recall getting Fireface USB Settings to open *once*, but I'm not sure what I did and I cannot reproduce it.

Sorry if this question has already been posted. I searched and couldn't find help.

Does anyone have any advice for getting these Fireface USB Settings and Totalmix working?

2 (edited by waedi 2022-12-16 06:14:18)

Re: Fireface USB Settings unavailable: Mac 4.06 Driver: Babyface standard

Sure the Babyface has the latest firmware in ?
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_mac.zip

And the unit must be in normal mode not CC.
And in the Mac Systemsettings privacy&security Microphone look at Totalmix to have it enabled for the mic.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by tragic-fossils-02 2022-12-16 08:12:35)

Thank you, I should have considered that. This firmware was last updated probably ten years ago.

Unfortunately, when I try to open the firmware installer, the app icon only flashes in the dock and the app quits hmm

I have the Babyface plugged in when I try to open the Flash Tool and I can still see Logic knows it's a Babyface.

Thanks for any advice

Edit: I also tried a restart and could still not open the firmware installer.

4 (edited by waedi 2022-12-16 08:20:55)

tragic-fossils-02 wrote:

Thank you, I should have considered that. This firmware was last updated probably ten years ago.

Unfortunately, when I try to open the firmware installer, the app icon only flashes in the dock and the app quits hmm

I have the Babyface plugged in when I try to open the Flash Tool and I can still see Logic knows it's a Babyface.

Thanks for any advice

Edit: I also tried a restart and could still not open the firmware installer.

You have to use another computer to do the flash. Any computer can do it
also a Windows computer with this fut : https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win.zip

Thanks for the help getting the firmware updated. Good news, but mostly bad news...

I can now open Fireface USB Settings, but only in CC mode. I can see the Babyface, see that the firmware is 255, and set the sample rate.

Unfortunately, Fireface USB Settings will not open in normal mode.

Does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks again, @waedi

Firmware 255 ? Are you sure ?
It should be 226 as stated in the readme file of the driver...

waedi wrote:

Firmware 255 ? Are you sure ?
It should be 226 as stated in the readme file of the driver...

Oops, dyslexic moment. It is 225 and it was 220 before I performed the update.

The link you provided, as well as the firmware update I found from navigating on the site, is v225.

Does it matter that I used a Windows computer to perform the flash update?

Ouch. I see that, indeed, the firmware for the Mac tool is 226. That doesn't make much sense.

Anybody from RME know if they can make the Windows firmware update the Babyface to the latest version? All I have is Windows as an additional computer at the moment.