1 (edited by mruebsamen 2022-12-22 00:01:14)

Topic: Mac OS Ventura kills Firewire which brings Digiface USB on the table

Dear all,
I'm a heavy RME user (2 x m32 AD pro, MADIface pro, Digiface AVB, ADI 2 FS pro and now a DIGIface USB).But for our Mix and mastering desk we use 2 Prism Orpheus Firewire Interfaces (which I still like). Today I found out that the Prism Orpheus won't work with Mac OS Ventura anymore. So I tried to hook up the DIGIface USB and connect the 2 Prism Orpheus via ADAT. Actually it worked quit well. It just dropped a couple times the sync. However, I ask myself if I harm my audio quality, since the Prisms are just connected via ADAT, which has bad jitter performance when I remember right. (There is no wordclocl on the Digiface USB...) Does this workaround have negative impacts compared to the direct connection to the computer via Firewire / thunderbolt?
Thank you so much for your help.

Re: Mac OS Ventura kills Firewire which brings Digiface USB on the table

Less cables - less problems and due to SteadyClock the Digiface is rocksolid !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 50#p195150

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

mruebsamen wrote:

So I tried to hook up the DIGIface USB and connect the 2 Prism Orpheus via ADAT. Actually it worked quit well. It just dropped a couple times the sync.

Then you need to find out why. Master/Slave settings on all three units. You know this...

There is no jitter issue with ADAT.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

There are probably some reasons why Prism writes that.
But on the other side this: I recently tested some FireWire devices over the Apple adapters (FireWire to Thunderbolt 2 > TB 2 to TB 3) on a Mac mini M1 2020 with macOS Ventura 13.1. All the devices - RME Fireface 400, Panasonic miniDV camcorder and an external Harddisk by WD - work absolutely well and without any issues. So I can confirm that Ventura didn't kill FireWire at all!

Greets, Oliver

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

If you use a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter, then your computer doesn't need FireWire support, because all it sees is a Thunderbolt device.

That's wrong. TB is just an in-between transport medium. For the endpoint you need full FireWire support, from OS and device (drivers). When working the computer (and you) do see a Firewire bridge and FireWire device in the system.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME