Topic: Babyface Pro Fs or Ufx ii

Hi all, I am planning to do analog summing and also record drums in the future, would it be better to get a RME 802/UFX ii or can the RME babyface pro fs with octamic ii handle that too? Thank you for your time!

2 (edited by ramses 2022-12-28 10:09:04)

Re: Babyface Pro Fs or Ufx ii

Hello Cloud, welcome to the RME User Forum.

There is no easy answer, as you do not tell any details how you want to perform analog summing.

Please read these articles for example and then describe your need / setup for summing:
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/does- … ifference/
https://www.orpheusaudioacademy.com/wha … g-summing/

Do you have any other external equipment that you need to connect, either to the summing box or to the recording interface?

I recommend making a drawing showing the wiring of your setup and posting it here.

It would also be helpful if you sketch out the workflow of how you plan to work with the equipment.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Recording up to twelve channels works well with the Babyface pro and an Octamic (at 44.1 or 48 kHz). You’ll need another 2-ch-preamp to connect on input 3-4 to reach the full amount of mic inputs. Summing can work too when using an ADAT DA-converter. But be aware the Octamic don’t work this way, it has no DA converter built in and no analog outputs (except the direct line outputs from the preamps).

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

4 (edited by ramses 2022-12-28 22:25:58)

Good point oli77sch, I overlooked the Octamic II in combination with BBF Pro. So, I was misled by myself to think that he possibly wanted to perform analog summing only with two channels for the stereo sum of the DAW.

Combination of BBF Pro FS and Octamic II makes really no sense for analog summing.
There are no ADAT inputs and the possibility to route from ADAT to analog outputs.

Furthermore, for such a solution, I would also expect the possibility to work in double speed.
So, any recording interface with only one ADAT port I would not regard as a proper solution.

A better basement for such a setup would be an UFX II or maybe even the successor of the UFX+.
Through the AES port, he could later even connect an ADI-2 Pro FS to perform with it the final A/D conversion.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by cloud10 2022-12-29 13:00:05)

Thank you Ramses and Oli77sch for your advice, you guys definitely helped me better visualise the process.

Another question on my mind is regarding the compatibility between RME UFX ii and a 8-12 channel mic pre from other brands. Can they be connected via adat and will they show up on Rme's totalmix software?

As you mentioned Octamic does not have DA converter for summing and RME 12Mic is currently out of my budget. So I am considering purchasing a RME UFX with a 8-12 pre from another brand.

Appreciate your insights and sorry for the questions I'm very new and confused

6 (edited by ramses 2022-12-29 15:07:58)

12Mic also has no analog outputs for 12Mic/Line inputs, only one output that you can use for phones or also a line signal.

ADAT is a standard, no problems to connect devices of other vendors if the budget is missing to buy additional RME preamps and converters.

Getting an UFX II is an excellent decision, then you can connect 1-2 external devices, either Mic Pre's or AD/DA converter or a mixture of both.

An option would be to wait for the successor of the UFX+ to have also MADI as an option.
64ch at single speed and where you can connect (up to typically 8 MADI devices) in a serial fashion one after the other.
Connection is via OM3/4 multimode cable where the distance between each of the devices may be up to 2km.
This makes the distribution of devices (preamps, etc) across several rooms easier possible if needed later.
64 more channels gives you also more flexibility for connecting more preamps or AD/DA converters is needed.

Also very nice to have is a combination of UFX II and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.
Then you have a reference grade converter for monitoring and recording the resulting stereo sum in excellent quality.
The UFX II / + also have an excellent analog section, but the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has more special features.

PC
|
USB2 (if UFX+ USB3)
|
UFX II-----AES-----------------> ADI-2 Pro FS R BE ------------> monitoring (monitors/phones)
|     |   ----AES<----------------- "                           <----------- from summing device for A/D
|     |   ----AN1-8-------------->  up to 8ch to summing device
|     |   ----ADAT1/2------------> to    additional 1 or 2  8ch AD/DA converter
|     |   ----ADAT1/2<------------ from additional 1 or 2  8ch AD/DA converter
|     |
(if UFX+)
|     |
|   MADI
|     |
|     + AD/DA converter
|     |
|     + Mic Preamp
|     |
+---+ [....]

Thank you Ramses for your insights! Sorry for the late reply.

If the 12mic has no analog outputs does that mean I can't run them through another external gear like pre amp or compressor?

ADAT sounds so easy and seamless, glad to hear that other devices are compatible with RME's interface.

The options you mentioned sounds so interesting, and I'll definitely look into ADI Pro FS R BE.

For the schematic that you drew does that mean that UFX+ can do what UFXII does but even more? Eg. MADI, AD/DA converter, and pre amps?

Thank you once again and have a Happy New Year!

8 (edited by ramses 2023-01-01 18:28:05)

> If the 12mic has no analog outputs does that mean I can't run them through another external gear
> like pre amp or compressor?

You connect external devices usually by using an AD/DA converter.

A Mic Preamp is mainly for having more mic inputs.

Some Mic preamps  also support line level and instr (Hi-Z) inputs.

Some Mic preamps, also RME mic-preamps, have analog outputs to connect the preamp analog to a console or an AD converter.

Some Mic preamps, but not RME preamps, can be used as AD/DA converter, then you can route audio through ADAT inputs either analog outputs or phone outputs. RME follow more the "classic approach", IF mic preamp and IF analog line level outputs, then they act as direct line out for the Mic inputs. See manual.

The UFX+ came 1st, the UFX II is the same device minus MADI/USB3/TB.