Topic: Standalone digiface usb, please

Standalone

independent electricity

digiface usb + arc usb

Product development

please please please

Re: Standalone digiface usb, please

Do you want the ARC connect to the Digiface USB without computer ?
Please be more specific, some details where it should go...?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes, I want to use digiface without a computer

4 (edited by waedi 2023-01-02 14:52:22)

fruitbox wrote:

Wich two of the 32 Adat input channels shall be fix routed to the headphone output and at what volume setting ?

fruitbox wrote:

This interface has no memory to be able to store different or the last used routing/settings.
You can see it by reading the manual, it contains e.g. no chapter about stand-by operation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

May I ask you for what application you would use the Digiface USB without a computer?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Yes, I know.
I look forward to the release of digiface usb that can be used without a computer

I'm trying to connect various dac and ddc to the speaker
I want to connect without the help of the computer

I want to connect two computers to one speaker
For example, window and mac

Sorry to say that, but the Digiface USB is probably the wrong choice of interface for your needs.
Do you have loudspeakers with digital inputs? If yes, what protocol do they accept (SPDIF, AES/EBU, ADAT…)? Maybe it would be the far simpler solution to use analog connections to feed the loudspeakers and use an analog mixer for the different sound sources. But this are only my thoughts. It’s difficult to understand what you want without more details about your (desired) gear setup.

It sounds more like you would want a simple switch?
Like this maybe...
https://www.amazon.se/dp/B079N9Q13D?psc … ct_details

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

I can’t see this interface being changed anytime soon and I’d guess no firmware would allow this.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

I can’t see this interface being changed anytime soon and I’d guess no firmware would allow this.

No, it simply has no internal memory to store user configurations. In my opinion there is no need for it.

two computers and a computer-audio-interface - but without using a computer...
nice try,
it's a joke, a hoax, eine Presse-Ente

waedi wrote:

nice try,

Lol

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

This is a personal wish for digiface usb.

As you know, analog cables can be stained.

The link below is a comparison of cable sounds.

https://youtu.be/maqPNA658qk

I just want to deliver the sound of the ddc to the speakers.

So that it doesn't deform.

So I said the wishful thinking about digiface usb.

" It sounds more like you would want a simple switch?
Like this maybe...
https://www.amazon.se/dp/B079N9Q13D?psc … ct_details "

Thank you for the recommendation.

But the da chipset doesn't make the sound I want.

Windows PC and Mac core audio have different sounds.

The basic sounds are different.

For some music, Mac's mid-to-low tone goes well with it,

and
There are times when the high notes of PC are good.

The basic chipset is different.

I just want to change it more comfortably.

18 (edited by waedi 2023-01-04 02:21:02)

fruitbox wrote:

As you know, analog cables can be stained.

The link below is a comparison of cable sounds.

https://youtu.be/maqPNA658qk

I just want to deliver the sound of the ddc to the speakers.

So that it doesn't deform.

One single USB cable has no influence to your sound, at all.

The only analog cables are those to your speakers, or have they an optical toslink input ?
This would be great to use with the Digiface.
But not without computer - 100% !
The functions of the Digiface (routing mixing volumen setting etc.) is all based on computer software.
What is the benefit of "not using a computer" ?
What you ask for is a Digitalmixer with multiple digital Ins and Outs wich does not exist on the market.
The Digiface is really outstanding for this !
You have to do the routing by connecting the toslink cables direct to the units and reconnect when you want to listen from another device.

For example,
ufx+ has the functions I want.

Standalone + usb arc volume Control or function key + Standalone routing

but
I need more input and output terminals s/pdif or adat

" What is the benefit of "not using a computer" ? "

have many advantages

window Cubase or Adobe Premiere <----┐
mac logic or Final Cut<------------------ ┼----->[ digiface usb ]-----------------> [speaker]
mobile dac or streaming<----------------┛        (an independent electricity)

The advantage of this system is that
From one reliable monitoring system
You can see the results of various devices.

[ preamp digitale outputs ]
                                                                           │
window Cubase or Adobe Premiere <----┐                ↓
mac logic or Final Cut<------------------ ┼----->[ digiface usb ]----------------> [dac custom]---->[speaker]

window Cubase or Adobe Premiere <----┐                                                    ┌--> [speaker 1]
mac logic or Final Cut<------------------ ┼----->[ digiface usb ]----------------┼-->[speaker 2]
mobile dac or streaming<----------------┛        (an independent electricity)   ┖-->[speaker 3]

fruitbox wrote:

Can you tell us how one would control the input/output routing on a device without any hardware knob, fader or such?
The other things I’m curious about are:
- what speakers do you have? They have to be absolutely high end, are they?
- how should an operating system have an influence to an audio file and how it sounds?
- how would your different computers be connected to the 'central' Digiface? Of course over optical cables. BUT where are this cables plugged in on the computer?

fruitbox wrote:

For example,
ufx+ has the functions I want.

Standalone + usb arc volume Control or function key + Standalone routing

but
I need more input and output terminals s/pdif or adat

" What is the benefit of "not using a computer" ? "

have many advantages

window Cubase or Adobe Premiere <----┐
mac logic or Final Cut<------------------ ┼----->[ digiface usb ]-----------------> [speaker]

The advantage of this system is that
From one reliable monitoring system
You can see the results of various devices.

[ preamp digitale outputs ]
                                                                           │
window Cubase or Adobe Premiere <----┐                ↓
mac logic or Final Cut<------------------ ┼----->[ digiface usb ]----------------> [dac custom]---->[speaker]

window Cubase or Adobe Premiere <----┐                                                    ┌--> [speaker 1]
mac logic or Final Cut<------------------ ┼----->[ digiface usb ]----------------┼-->[speaker 2]
mobile dac or streaming<----------------┛        (an independent electricity)   ┖-->[speaker 3]

In all your connection examples you have at least one computer, and even if you are convinced that going optical from your computer to the Digiface will yield better results than usb you can still control the Digiface USB via one computer via USB.

Is this a reamping excercise or do you play the guitar for each recording? Is the file available uncompressed?

23 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-04 13:13:15)

ebmmbongo wrote:

... and even if you are convinced that going optical from your computer to the Digiface will yield better results than usb you can still control the Digiface USB via one computer via USB.

I can tell you, it's nonsense:
I once did a short test which was to find out, if a Fostex adapter which simply converts SPDIF coaxial to optical and vice versa, has an influence to the audio quality. It was a fair priced 2nd hand buy. So I connected the Fostex over optical cables to my Babyface pro and did a simple direct cable loop from the output to the input on the coaxial connectors. I played a stereo audio file from Logic pro and recorded the returned signal from the optical input on the Babyface to a new track. Having the tune in full length, I then adjusted the two tracks 100% sample accurate to each other in the timeline and flipped over the phase on one of the two tracks to do the so called null test. Guess what: when I started the playback, there was nothing more to hear nor visible on level meters, it was absolutely cancelled out by itself.
So neither the USB cable connection, nor one of the involved units (Babyface pro, Fostex adapter) nor the optical cables nor the coaxial cable had even the smallest influence to the audio signal. It was just still the same, sample per sample! And I simply used a cheap hi-fi chinch cable, even not a 'real' SPDIF coax cable.

oli77sch wrote:

null test

I just did this with the cheap switch i recommended earlier, and the result is the same for me.

ebmmbongo wrote:

I just did this with the cheap switch i recommended earlier, and the result is the same for me.

I’m really not surprised about that.

This is the case with the RME design. Digital connections -> same sound due to very high jitter suppression thanks to SteadyClock [FS]. With other manufacturers or cheaper consumer devices this may look different.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

This is the case with the RME design. Digital connections -> same sound due to very high jitter suppression thanks to SteadyClock [FS]. With other manufacturers or cheaper consumer devices this may look different.

So basically what you are saying is that we can't reliably do a null test the way I did because of SteadyClock FS? I am perfecty happy about that, but at the same time that's too bad for the op;-)

28 (edited by ramses 2023-01-04 14:45:07)

One comment sounded as if different types of digital data connections would sound different.

When talking about digital && lossless data transfer, a sound degradation can only occur by either jitter or hum if you have a copper-based connection without galvanic isolation or a transformer in between like with AES.

Jitter is being eliminated by SteadyClock [FS] to a very high degree. Noise / hum you should normally not have.

I try to avoid coax. SPDIF because there I see a higher likeliness to get hum (in a bad case of luck) compared to other transfer methods.

So, what's the point of this discussion or the null test in an RME environment?

ramses wrote:

So, what's the point of this discussion or the null test in an RME environment?

This

fruitbox wrote:

ebmmbongo wrote:

It sounds more like you would want a simple switch?
Like this maybe...
https://www.amazon.se/dp/B079N9Q13D?psc … ct_details "

Thank you for the recommendation.

But the da chipset doesn't make the sound I want.

30 (edited by ramses 2023-01-04 15:34:25)

It would be useful if he named exactly the components he wants to connect and how.
Short list of devices, preferably with link, ASCII drawing and ready.

If he really has speakers with digital inputs as a terminal, then it does not matter how the data is transmitted and the most appropriate would indeed be something like a 4:1 TOSLINK switch.

You only have to be careful that they do not only transmit 96 kHz but also 192 kHz, should you need that.

I am using an Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 Mk II, which supports up to 192 kHz and looks nice from design.
https://oehlbach.com/de/digital-optisch … ii-d1c6041
There I can choose between 4 optical sources (whether ADAT or SPDIF format) and switch to the one optical output.

In my case the TOSLINK switcher is in front of the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in the HiFi corner, which does D/A conversion for music player (via UFX+), TV and BluRay player.

UFX+---ADAT1 OUT------------------------------------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE---AN OUT-----Recording Corner (monitors/phones)
       ----ADAT2 OUT-------1------Optosel 4:1------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE---AN OUT-----HiFi
                                      2---TV---------/
                                      3---BluRay--/
                                      4---free----/

I would also like the possibility of standalone operation. I use it to interconnect HW using ADAT. I have two racks each with audio interface and effect and separate audio interface. And in between those three Digiface USB to glue it together.

I would love to use it without computer. Just switch the gear on as it is configured/routed. And in case I need different rooting, just run the computer and change it in TotalMix.

Yes, I could interconnect everything without using Digiface, but in case of rerouting, I would have to reconnect several ADAT cables. In TotalMix it may be prepared in advance and it is fast and easy change there and back. Also easy to experiment with configurations....

So, I would love to have possibility to save choosen setup to Digiface or even if Digiface remembers its last setup would be great. I do not understand why RME has not implemented it. :-(((((

Mics, instruments                                                                               Mics, instruments
      I                                                                                                         I
      I                                                                                                         I
Presonus                                                                                             Fireface 802
Eventide Eclipse          <-------------------> Digiface <------------------>  Eventide H8000
Lexicon                                                        ^
                                                                   I
                                                                   I
                                                                   I--------------------------> Fireface UC -------------> Monitors and Phones
                                                                                                              ^
                                                                                                               I
                                                                                                               I
                                                                                                       Mic, Instruments

32 (edited by kanefsky 2023-08-03 06:05:03)

I use a Digiface USB as a small digital mixer in order to combine the output of several different computers and game consoles, mix them together, and output them to a DAC/headphone amp for monitoring.  That way I can use one pair of speakers or headphones and hear sounds from whichever device(s) I'm using at any given time.  I don't have to worry about manually switching from one to the other, plus I often want to hear sounds from more than one device at the same time.  For example I might be playing a game but also want to listen to music or news in the background.

It would be nice if the Digiface weren't dependent on using one specific computer to manage the mixing, but it's not that bad and I want to use the USB for one of the computers anyway so I can use all four TOSLINK ports for other devices.  It's a little annoying if I need to reboot that computer or take it offline to install an upgrade or something.

I've been doing this sort of thing for many years and I think I actually still have a Roland M-1000 in storage that I used to use to do this without requiring a computer to manage the mix.  It's been long since discontinued.  I'm not sure why no one seems to offer anything like it anymore.  I'd probably still be using it, but the main disadvantage is that it only has coax inputs and not optical.  It has an advantage over the Digiface in that it can do sample rate conversion on all the inputs so they don't all have to be at the same sample rate.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/m-1000/

https://static.roland.com/assets/images/products/main/m1000_main.jpg

33 (edited by Kubrak 2023-08-20 01:17:04)

Does anyone know what is the default routing in Digiface USB? I mean, what is the routing when switched on without a computer?

I would love to use it standalone, if default routing allows, so.

It is such a pity it does not remember last routing used, like Fireface UC does.... Even better would be, if next version could store eight snapshots and one could plug in ARC USB into it to controll unit using this controller in standalone mode.

34 (edited by waedi 2023-08-20 02:25:09)

Page 33 in the user manual shows a block diagram.
Input 1 goes to output 1
Input 2 goes to output 2
Input 3 goes to output 3
Input 4 goes to output 4
etc
Input 32 goes to output 32
Easy to find out if it works this way.

I will try, it would be great if inputs are routed to appropriate outputs, if standalone... I could reconnect my gear and it would work without PC connected.

I just checked in TM and if I make total reset of mix for Digiface, submixes for outputs have faders on inputs set to zerro, only playback faders are full up. I do not know if it is default state of HW or just default state TM goes to for any device.... So, it is not sure, that inputs are routed to outputs in standalone mode....

I have to check, if I get any signal on ADAT outputs in standalone mode.

The user manual doesn't mention standalone-mode, only testing will tell you.

I know. IMHO, it should have been described in manual, what the standalone routing is like.....

If there is a routing that will work standalone, it would be described in the manual I guess.

39 (edited by Kubrak 2023-08-20 04:56:54)

Yes. It looks, signal is not routed from ADAT input to ADAT ouput, if standalone. It could have been set so and it would have been working standalone. But I guess, at least that could be made by firmware update, if it is not possible to remember last routing....

I have set Digiface as the masterclock, all three devices did show lock, but no signal went to other device using Digiface in between. When computer switched on, signal has reached to device, and also after switching off PC, till I disconected Digiface from powered USB hub.

Maybe I made some kind of mistake and it works.....

waedi wrote:

Do you want the ARC connect to the Digiface USB without computer ?

It seems to me as very good idea. Of course it is not possible with current Digiface USB, no plug for ARC USB and no memory for storing snapshots. But it would be nice in future Mk2, if it comes one day. One could in standalone mode choose routings prepared earlier and modify the volume of phones...

It should be more than obvious that the DF USB has not been designed to be used in stand-alone mode. No power socket, no such chapter in the manual, no such mode ever mentioned anywhere. And it will not come as firmware update because the hardware simply can not do it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Why do you think it cannot be updated by firmware so that it runs standalone 44.1k [or 48k, I am not sure now, simply one of those two] (as already now in standalone), locks to other ADAT HW (as already now in standalone)? Those two already work.

The only thing needed might be to change the mixer matrix in firmware so that inputs are copied to outputs 1:1. I agree it would be very limited standalone function, but much better than nothing.

Also DF runs just OK without computer after being set by TM. I power it from USB hub, but I guess, it could be powered also from PC USB socket that delivers mains even when PC is off. So, it needs computer just to load the snapshot that replaces its default snapshot, and since than it runs standalone just fine. Till mains is on.

43 (edited by oortone 2023-08-21 23:18:02)

waedi wrote:

nice try,

Well a lot of soundcards are hoaxes then I guess. Standalone mode is a very common and useful feature. :-D

MC wrote:

It should be more than obvious that the DF USB has not been designed to be used in stand-alone mode. No power socket, no such chapter in the manual, no such mode ever mentioned anywhere. And it will not come as firmware update because the hardware simply can not do it.

Seems like it, since I don't own one of these yet (was planning on it but this might be the dealbreaker) I wonder. What happens when the computer is disconnected. Does it load some kind of default setting for TotalMix? What about snap shots? Can these be used from the computer or does everything preset like have to be loaded from file for each "snapshot"?

Does that also mean that the Arc can't be used with this one. I was thinking of the first two rows of memory buttons. If the Digiface does not have any memory locations I guess these would be useless at least.

Or maybe all the TotalMixFx processing is performed by the computer? Then of course it makes perfect sense it can not be used in standalone mode. A bit confusing since TotalMixFx is often refered to as a kind of standalone mixer.

44 (edited by waedi 2023-08-21 23:39:10)

Standalone-mixer ?
This is the first time I hear this.
It's opposite, Totalmix is never a standalone-mixer, it is part of an audio interface.
Digiface has no internal memory nor DSP everything is running in the computer Totalmix FX routing mixing.
You can download the latest version of Totalmix separate and drop it into the application folder in your computer, but it will not run unless a connected RME interface is detected and the appropriate driver is installed.

45 (edited by oortone 2023-08-22 08:49:59)

waedi wrote:

Standalone-mixer ?
It's opposite, Totalmix is never a standalone-mixer, it is part of an audio interface.
Digiface has no internal memory nor DSP everything is running in the computer Totalmix FX routing mixing.
You can download the latest version of Totalmix separate and drop it into the application folder in your computer, but it will not run unless a connected RME interface is detected and the appropriate driver is installed.

What do you mean? I was under the impression that (some) RME Interfaces will work perfectly fine as static mixer solutions without being connected to the computer and that I will be able to make some changes like change snapshots and things like that without hooking up the computer. According to this page the Arc and som UFX interfaces will work in "standalone mode" but it seems a bit complicated to find out exactly what that means and if it's only UFX+ and UFX II that has this standalone mode, maybe not UFX III?
https://www.rme-usa.com/arc-usb.html
"ARC USB and UFX+ / UFX II in Stand-Alone Mode
In stand-alone mode of Fireface UFX+ / UFX II a fixed set of functions is activated on the keys"

I'm pretty sure the DSP is not executed on the computer in standalone mode at least? ;-)
Also I don't get why it's called TotalMixFX even in those cases where the FX are unavailable as for Digiface USB. Same name but not same functionality, strange.

I come from Motu and was planning on trying RME but it's unclear in which cases I will get the same standalone functionality as I have with Motu.

Most rme devices have standalone mode, but not the the digiface usb.
Afaik all ufx have it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

oortone wrote:
waedi wrote:

Standalone-mixer ?

What do you mean? I was under the impression that (some) RME Interfaces will work perfectly fine as static mixer solutions without being connected to the computer and that I will be able to make some changes like change snapshots and things like that without hooking up the computer. According to this page the Arc and som UFX interfaces will work in "standalone mode" but it seems a bit complicated to find out exactly what that means and if it's only UFX+ and UFX II that has this standalone mode, maybe not UFX III?
https://www.rme-usa.com/arc-usb.html
"ARC USB and UFX+ / UFX II in Stand-Alone Mode
In stand-alone mode of Fireface UFX+ / UFX II a fixed set of functions is activated on the keys"

I'm pretty sure the DSP is not executed on the computer in standalone mode at least? ;-)
Also I don't get why it's called TotalMixFX even in those cases where the FX are unavailable as for Digiface USB. Same name but not same functionality, strange.

I come from Motu and was planning on trying RME but it's unclear in which cases I will get the same standalone functionality as I have with Motu.

Of course TotalMix runs on the interface itself (DSP). At least Fireface 400 & 800 & 802 (FS), UC, UCX, UCX II, UFX, UFX+, UFX II, UFX III and probably some other models have configureable standalone modes. Some with only one, some even with up to six different configurations. Babyface models have a separate standalone mode which cannot be configured on the computer (it’s halfway comparable to Motu 8pre which behaves different with or without connection to a computer).
There are all manuals available on the RME website. You simply can load the one for the interface you are interested to buy and find many useful informations in there.
And yes, at least all the models with the front panel display can easily be used as 'static' mixer. On models without display it’s a bit harder but still doable imo.

48 (edited by oortone 2023-08-22 13:47:20)

oli77sch wrote:

Of course TotalMix runs on the interface itself (DSP). At least Fireface 400 & 800 & 802 (FS), UC, UCX, UCX II, UFX, UFX+, UFX II, UFX III and probably some other models have configureable standalone modes. Some with only one, some even with up to six different configurations. Babyface models have a separate standalone mode which cannot be configured on the computer (it’s halfway comparable to Motu 8pre which behaves different with or without connection to a computer).
There are all manuals available on the RME website. You simply can load the one for the interface you are interested to buy and find many useful informations in there.
And yes, at least all the models with the front panel display can easily be used as 'static' mixer. On models without display it’s a bit harder but still doable imo.

Thanks, great to hear. I actually had a look at some manuals, but there's a lot of info and not easy to get an overview. Asking was better, now I pretty much got what I needed. :-)

waedi wrote:

Standalone-mixer ?

Digiface must have some kind of DSP inside. Routing and mixing calculations run fine on it without computer connected. One must set DF using computer running TM. When this is done, one may switch off computer and run DF standalone under the condition it stays powered.... I use it in such a way.

IMHO, it could run standalone, but only with one factory preset. Present preset does not route ADAT inputs to ADAT outputs. So, pure standalone functionality is not possible, one has to initialize DF after being switched on using computer with TM.

Kubrak wrote:
waedi wrote:

Standalone-mixer ?

Digiface must have some kind of DSP inside. Routing and mixing calculations run fine on it without computer connected. One must set DF using computer running TM. When this is done, one may switch off computer and run DF standalone under the condition it stays powered.... I use it in such a way.

IMHO, it could run standalone, but only with one factory preset. Present preset does not route ADAT inputs to ADAT outputs. So, pure standalone functionality is not possible, one has to initialize DF after being switched on using computer with TM.

OK, I see. Not so useful as standalone then but good to get it sorted out.