1 (edited by marcandre 2022-12-29 16:59:29)

Topic: RayDAT won't allow samplerates above 48kHz on the ADAT Inputs

Hi,

I have connected the ADAT outputs of another interface to the ADAT inputs of my RayDAT. No matter how I clock the devices (tried every possibility, via wordclock or ADAT, using RayDAT as master and vice versa, etc.) the ADAT Inputs will not activate s/mux and go/show anything above 48kHz. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Do I need to enable S/MUX on the RayDAT anywhere?

Thanks

Re: RayDAT won't allow samplerates above 48kHz on the ADAT Inputs

Afaik if the clock internal or external is set above 48k smux is active, you can see that in total mix cause the number of ports reduce. The adat ports themselves will always indicate 44 or 48. But the card should indicate 96 etc

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Some ADAT devices pretend to use smux, while they don't. So, what's your device?

A Behringer ADA8000, fi, sends and accepts audio at 96 kHz, but it just sends/uses 48 kHz. Only, the second batch of four channels of the ADA contains just a copy of the first four. In playback, you'll notice that the sr is wrong, but when recording, you'll probably get fooled.

Maybe the firmware never got there?

It's not a case of a broken feature, as Behringer never mentioned 96 kHz for it afaict.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

4 (edited by marcandre 2022-12-29 21:37:03)

vinark wrote:

Afaik if the clock internal or external is set above 48k smux is active, you can see that in total mix cause the number of ports reduce. The adat ports themselves will always indicate 44 or 48. But the card should indicate 96 etc

Thanks, that's it. I was confused because I have another RayDAT (on another computer) connected to the interface as well and on that Port both RayDAT's will show 96khz and above.
I didn't even try to route audio through it before reading your post since I thought it won't work, but it looks like the ADAT Input Status will show Sample Rates above 48kHz when another RayDAT is connected to it, but not when other ADAT Sources are connected.

Yes RME uses a hack of the adat format to send smux status along with the audio. Not every device supports that.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632