Topic: New UCX II potentially dead

Hi all, new to the forum and RME. Received my UCX II a few days ago and have been having a blast, pleny of great things to say about it but will cut to the chase.

I was wrapping up a session and rendering my project. I unplugged my headphones and at that instant, the unit shut off.

After my render finished, I tried powering it back on and got nothing. I unplugged everything, including the power cable/adapter from the unit and power conditioner. Plugged power back in to the power conditioner, also tested on several other outlets, same result.

I've tried testing to see if it's just the LCDs, but after a fresh plug-in and one encoder knob click to turn it on, the unit stays cold.

The only other slightly anomolous event was that prior to that render, I canceled mid-render because the sample rate in the Ableton render settings defaulted 176KHz (was my first render with the unit), not the 88.2KHz I'd been working in. Once that render cancelled, Ableton crashed.

I haven't looked at those crash logs yet and figure all of that has nothing to do with it. The fact it happened the instant I unplugged headphones seems more relevant.

And no, I'd been sitting in the same position for ages and hadn't just shuffled across a shag carpet in socks before touching it smile

I've reached out to support as well but wanted to see if any other users had experienced similar, or anyone had troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks

Re: New UCX II potentially dead

Have you got a multimeter to test if the the PSU is outputting anything? The cable does lock in so have you checked you pushed it fully home?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-12-31 12:13:15)

Hi Hazen, welcome to the RME user forum.

@mkok: exactly.

@Hazen: could it be that when you pulled out the headphones, you moved the device a little so that the power adapter slipped out the back or failed to make contact?

What many have also overlooked with the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, these newer RME external power supplies have a locking connector. First you have to put it all the way in and then turn it about 90°, so it is then locked and can no longer slip out. Turning alone is of no use if the plug is not fully inserted. Please check.

The UCX II manual explains this nicely in one of the 1st chapters about "first usage", ch 5.1: "The connector at the power supply and the socket at the unit come with a turn to lock feature. When inserting the connector, make sure the little wings are aligned correctly so that the connector is fully inserted. Then turn the connector so that it is locked and can no longer be removed. If not fully inserted, the connection will be loose and cause power loss when the cable is moved."

Last recent UCX II manuals here:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ufx2_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ufx2_e.pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Hazen 2022-12-31 18:11:32)

Thanks both for the replies.

Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter.

However, the green indicator LED on the unit end of plug lights up whenever it's plugged in to a power outlet. And in all cases before and after the issue I've made sure the plug is snugly in place and locked. This was one of many small details I really appreciated about the unit.

@ramses: at the time I unplugged the headphones, the unit was rack mounted and the plug was 100% snug and locked. No movement of the unit or careless plugging.

I first suspected a possible physical issue, which is why I went through the entire installation top to bottom and unplugged / replugged everything.

During several subsequent tests I also physically held the plug in place, and slowly and gently rotated it in the socket to see if there was a physical issue. All attempts failed.