Topic: New Babyface Pro FS user and Loopback Question

Hi everyone!

David here. Nice to meet you all, and I'm a rising classical musician. I just purchased a Babyface Pro FS and I'm loving it! I'm blind, working with virtual piano programs on Windows 11. Love the responsiveness of the ASIO driver and the latency performance is far superior to any other interfaces I've ever used!

I have a question on loopback. Because of my workflow, I do need to use loopback and the WDM devices to send the loopback audio into other software programs like Zoom, Audacity, Teamtalk, ETC. Right now, thanks to remote assistance from a friend, I was able to get loopback working on my main outs (AN 1/2). However, the recorded signal is dependent on the volume fader. If I get the monitor volume to a comfortable listening level, the recorded audio has a very low volume. Conversely, to get a healthy volume on my recordings, I'll need to crank the volume to maximum to let the meters show a healthy level. I can't adjust the volume on my monitors because they have separate volume controls, and the knobs at the back only go by 0.1 DB per click, and I can't do this well because of my blindness.

I have 2 questions about this:

1. Is it possible to let the loopback audio not be effected by how loud or soft I adjust the volume faider for my hardware outputs?

2. If this isn't possible, can I use the remaining output channels as virtual loopback ports? Let me explain what I'm imagining.

Say if I routed the audio using TotalMix FX to also output on outputs 3/4 (if such hardware outputs exist). I set the volume of the output faider on this new output to maximum, and I loopback this audio into Analogue inputs 3/4 (if such inputs exist). Then what can happen is, no matter how loud or soft I adjust the volume for outputs 1/2, it won't effect the volume for outputs 3/4 and I can get good recordings using the inputs 3/4. The only thing is, I won't be actually using outputs 3/4, or analogue inputs 1/2 for that matter, but that's OK. 2 pairs of WDM devices shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Is my imagination crazy? Or is there an easier way to do all this loopback trick?

Hope to hear your thoughts on this one. Meanwhile, this Babyface Pro FS is a keeper on my desk!!!

David

2 (edited by waedi 2023-01-06 03:10:49)

Re: New Babyface Pro FS user and Loopback Question

Exactly ! Send your signal to output 3/4 or any other unused output and take there the Loopback for Zoom or whatever software as long it has the ability to receive audio from different channels.
Often the input channel of those softwares is fix set to input 1/2 and not possible to select any other.
in this case your volumen-control for the loudspeakers is a life-saver.
Your imagination is absolutly not crazy and to my understanding there is no easier way anywhere than the Loopback trick.
And a warm welcome to the forum !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2023-01-06 11:56:43)

Hi David,

welcome to the RME user forum.

davidlaijiajun wrote:

[...]thanks to remote assistance from a friend, I was able to get loopback working on my main outs (AN 1/2). However, the recorded signal is dependent on the volume fader. If I get the monitor volume to a comfortable listening level, the recorded audio has a very low volume. Conversely, to get a healthy volume on my recordings, I'll need to crank the volume to maximum to let the meters show a healthy level. I can't adjust the volume on my monitors because they have separate volume controls, and the knobs at the back only go by 0.1 DB per click, and I can't do this well because of my blindness.

The reason is, that the loopback implementation of the Babyface Pro FS is "post-fader". With some interfaces (like UCX II) loopback is implemented "pre-fader" which would be more useful in your case.

davidlaijiajun wrote:

1. Is it possible to let the loopback audio not be effected by how loud or soft I adjust the volume faider for my hardware outputs?
2. If this isn't possible, can I use the remaining output channels as virtual loopback ports? Let me explain what I'm imagining.

Say if I routed the audio using TotalMix FX to also output on outputs 3/4 (if such hardware outputs exist). I set the volume of the output faider on this new output to maximum, and I loopback this audio into Analogue inputs 3/4 (if such inputs exist). Then what can happen is, no matter how loud or soft I adjust the volume for outputs 1/2, it won't effect the volume for outputs 3/4 and I can get good recordings using the inputs 3/4. The only thing is, I won't be actually using outputs 3/4, or analogue inputs 1/2 for that matter, but that's OK. 2 pairs of WDM devices shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Is my imagination crazy? Or is there an easier way to do all this loopback trick?

Your idea is correct, you could send audio to any other unused HW output (analog or digital, doesn't matter) for loopback purposes. This is only possible if all applications allowed to configure any I/O port as audio input, sadly this is not the case.

Windows: types of audio applications

To give you an overview, the following type of application you experience on a Windows computer:

a) Applications with ASIO support are the best, here you can select any of the HW inputs for recording.

b) Applications without ASIO support need a WDM driver that you can create in the RME driver settings (for any I/O port).
The issue here is that only some applications have the possibility to select *any* WDM driver of your system.
Some applications can only read from the Windows Standard Device for Recording (that you need to define system-wide in the Windows Sound settings) or maybe only from the 1st detected input.

Two solutions

You could switch to a recording interface like the UCX II, which has a pre-fader loopback implementation, but I think the following two options are more relevant to solve the issue for you:

Option 1)Passive volume controller: because it doesn't cost much, is easy to implement and solves the issue entirely.

Option 2) ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS: costs more, solves the issue entirely, but gives you a lot of very useful features on top, and you have the best reference converter that you can get for the money. With useful features that are unique to these devices.

Here the two possibilities in detail:

1. Passive volume controller

The cheapest solution is to use a passive volume controller between Babyface Pro AN 1/2 OUT and active monitor to turn down the volume. Some people on forum often mention this product here:
https://www.thomann.de/de/tc_electronic_level_pilot.htm

Note, there are other solutions with additional functions like mute, mono mix, connecting a 2nd or 3rd pair of monitors, subwoofer and "what not", see this list of Studio/Monitor controllers from Thomann:
https://www.thomann.de/de/studio_monitorcontroller.html

2. Integration of ADI-2 DAC FS or ADI-2 Pro FS into your setup

This is the most expensive, but IMHO the best solution that you can get. The ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS series of products are the best and most flexible headphone amps and high-quality converter on the market, with advanced / unique features like:
- 4 different reference levels for analog outputs (Pro: also inputs)
- auto-reference level to dynamically select the ideal reference level to maximize SNR / DR (dynamic range)
- dynamic loudness to increase Bass/Treble dynamically over a range of 20dB (Bass and Treble gain user configurable up to 10 dB).
Regarding dynamic loudness. Very useful for office work so that the sound doesn't become too thin on lower volumes. During office work I need sometimes background music, and then it is wonderful, that the sound at lower volumes is still kind of "rich and full".

Maybe your friend can support you to get the relevant information for you out of this blog article,
which is about the different models and features of ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/
If this were an interesting option for you, then I can support you, selecting the proper model for you.

Option 2 - Connection to recording interface and benefits

You could connect the ADI-2 DAC or ADI-2 Pro via ADAT/SPDIF to your Babyface Pro to have lossless transfer of digital audio through ADAT or SPDIF (ADI-2 DAC/Pro understand both protocols).

Now you get multiple benefits at the same time:

1. Speakers and phones are connected to the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, so the volume for monitoring is now being controlled at the ADI-2 DAC or Pro.

2. As your active monitors are not connected anymore to the HW output AN 1/2 of the Babyface Pro, you can keep the fader of HW output AN 1/2 at 0dB, so that you have no issues anymore with loopback recording (and post-fader implemenation).

3. You standardize your setup in terms of loopback recording, as all of your applications can record loopback audio now from HW input AN 1/2. No need to change anything anymore, which, I think, is very useful for you to make things simpler.

4. You do not need to worry about level mismatches anymore. The ADI-2 DAC/Pro remember the volume settings for all analog outputs (monitors/phones), comparable to the passive monitor controller. So, an accidental double-click to an output fader in TM FX doesn't lead to a very high volume, which could be bad for your monitors and ears if the level mismatch were very high (very sensitive/loud monitors).

ADI-2 DAC/Pro - Further benefits of key mapping

I think the solution with ADI-2 DAC/Pro would also have other little benefits to you, as the four keys in the front are user-assignable. In the following blog article, I described the integration of the reference converter into an RME setup and make proposals for useful key mappings for the front key.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

By this, I am able to
- switch between monitors / phones
- toggle activation / deactivation of PEQ, active loudness, Bass/Treble if you want to ensure to have the original signal
- mute all outputs, I am using the last key for this because this is quickest to find/select with the hand even if I do not look into that direction. Your friend can have a look at the article to see, how you can implement this easily.

I am also using two ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, one in the recording corner, one in the HiFi corner. I'm so excited about the quality and unique features of the devices, that I couldn't do without them.

If there are any remaining questions about the one or other solution, I am happy to further support you.
Do not hesitate to ask further questions if needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi everyone! Thank you for your replies and the warm welcome!

I know I can set different numbers of WDM devices in the settings, and all my non-ASIO programs can pick any WDM devices for recording. That said, some thoughts regarding my current setup:

1. I only use active studio monitors. Due to my laptop and limited space, the most I can accommodate is the one Babyface Pro FS, connected directly to a USB type C port on the left of my laptop. If you're interested, I'm using a Dell Precision 3560. So the implementation of either the DAC FS or DAC Pro FS may not be possible.

2. A question regarding passive volume controllers. Are there digital controllers instead of analogue ones? I find analogue volume controllers are prone to clicking noises with longer use times.

3. If I want to route audio into a different set of hardware outputs, how do I make sure that the audio from AN 1&2 go into other ports on Total Mix FX?

Note: I'll need remote assistance on that point as screen readers are not accessible with the software.

Many thanks for answering my questions and exploring my possibilities! I hope to do it all with the Babyface Pro FS if at all possible.

David

waedi wrote:

Exactly ! Send your signal to output 3/4 or any other unused output and take there the Loopback for Zoom or whatever software as long it has the ability to receive audio from different channels.
And a warm welcome to the forum !

Thank you! Yes, that's the kind of work flow I hope to achieve. How do I do that?

6 (edited by waedi 2023-01-06 16:28:29)

I thought you already did that by your first post...
Output 3/4 indeed exist under the name "ADAT 3/4", send your signal there and hit the Loopback button.
Signal is available on input channels 3/4 in DAWs and other software capable of receiving audio.

Point 2
I had an SPL 2Control for volumen control of the monitor speakers.
This unit was expensive but super comfortable and I would buy it again. it is analog but without any crackle, very highendish built.
there is a lot of monitor controllers on the market but those digitals where usually combination of audio-interfaces with big knobs, I would avoid those as it is difficult to handle multiple audio interfaces on one computer, better stay analog in midrange price category.

Point 3
Routing signals from hardware inputs (top row in Totalmix) and Software playback channels (middle row in Totalmix) to desired hardware output channels (bottom row in Totalmix) is very simple.
Click on that desired outputchannel to make it highlighted (activated for routing)
Now pull up the faders of the signals you want to route there.
This is a submix to that output.It stays so until you change.
Click onto another output channel and see your fader settings is gone ! Oh no !
Click back onto the previous output and see your fader settings are back ! Magic !
Each output channel has its own fader settings (submix), visible when activated.
I hope your assistant person can figure out how I mean this.
You already have all the background knowlege, together with assistance it will work in short time.

waedi wrote:

I thought you already did that by your first post...
Output 3/4 indeed exist under the name "ADAT 3/4", send your signal there and hit the Loopback button.
Signal is available on input channels 3/4 in DAWs and other software capable of receiving audio.

Point 2
I had an SPL 2Control for volumen control of the monitor speakers.
This unit was expensive but super comfortable and I would buy it again. it is analog but without any crackle, very highendish built.

Point 3
Routing signals from hardware inputs (top row in Totalmix) and Software playback channels (middle row in Totalmix) to desired hardware output channels (bottom row in Totalmix) is very simple.
Click on that desired outputchannel to make it highlighted (activated for routing)
Now pull up the faders of the signals you want to route there.
This is a submix to that output.It stays so until you change.
Click onto another output channel and see your fader settings is gone ! Oh no !
Click back onto the previous output and see your fader settings are back ! Magic !
Each output channel has its own fader settings (submix), visible when activated.
I hope your assistant person can figure out how I mean this.
You already have all the background knowlege, together with assistance it will work in short time.

Thank you, waedi!

The first post was my imagined scenario. I didn't do that, not personally. The interface of Total Mix FX is not 100% accessible. All the audio routing needs to be done by a sighted person either in person or online through a remote software.

So, in short, one can take the audio of my monitors at output 1/2 and send the exact same signal to ADAT 3/4, activate the loopback for that channel to send to input 3/4 and then get results? If so, I guess there's hope for me, as long as Windows recognizes this signal.

Thanks!

David

davidlaijiajun wrote:

[...] some thoughts regarding my current setup
1. I only use active studio monitors. Due to my laptop and limited space, the most I can accommodate is the one Babyface Pro FS, connected directly to a USB type C port on the left of my laptop. If you're interested, I'm using a Dell Precision 3560. So the implementation of either the DAC FS or DAC Pro FS may not be possible.

Why? The ADI-2 Pro can be placed wherever you want.
It can run standalone and only needs a USB connection for occasional firmware updates.
Otherwise, it is being connected only with a thin optical (TOSLINK) cable.

You could place e.g. the ADI-2 DAC or Pro on the left side or the back of the desk and keep the Babyface Pro FS on the right side, if you are right-handed.

davidlaijiajun wrote:

2. A question regarding passive volume controllers. Are there digital controllers instead of analogue ones? I find analogue volume controllers are prone to clicking noises with longer use times.

An analog potentiometer is preferable to create no decrease in dynamic range. With a potentiometer, the peak signal and noise are reduced by the same amount, so that the dynamic range remains constant. With a digital volume control, the peak signal level is reduced, but the underlying noise remains the same - consequently, there is a reduction in dynamic range.
If the quality of the potentiometer is well, then it can last for 5 or even 10 years, well and then it won't hurt to get a new one if needed.

davidlaijiajun wrote:

3. If I want to route audio into a different set of hardware outputs, how do I make sure that the audio from AN 1&2 go into other ports on Total Mix FX?

There are several options in submix mode
a) to click to HW output AN 3/4 and turn the faders of top and middle row to create the same submix like for AN 1/2
b) to copy/paste submix by right-clicking with mouse to HW Output AN1/2 for copy and then right-click to AN3/4 for paste
c) same like b) but as a permanent mirror of submix AN1/2 to AN3/4, then simply select mirror in the pulldown menu

davidlaijiajun wrote:

Note: I'll need remote assistance on that point as screen readers are not accessible with the software.

Maybe your friend can support alone, or kindly ask RME support for a remote session, where he can help to assist.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

davidlaijiajun wrote:

So, in short, one can take the audio of my monitors at output 1/2 and send the exact same signal to ADAT 3/4, activate the loopback for that channel to send to input 3/4 and then get results?

Exactly !

There must be something I'm doing wrong. I called a friend and had him remote into my computer and we have the following to report:

Tried copy & paste of submix from AN1/2 to Adat 3/4 and turned loopback on Adat 3/4, but no sound from the hardware inputs. Wasapi loopback is working, but not ASIO. The Analogue inputs on Windows does not show any audio data coming in, even though loopback was active. We mirrored AN1/2 to Adat3/4 without success with WDM devices.

So far, that's where we're at.

Have you activated WDM devices in the RME settings ? How many ?

waedi wrote:

Before doing this, I activated the AN3/4 devices in the RME driver settings, so now I have 2 WDM devices -- AN1/2 and An3/4.

13 (edited by ramses 2023-01-06 17:42:13)

davidlaijiajun wrote:

There must be something I'm doing wrong. I called a friend and had him remote into my computer and we have the following to report:

Tried copy & paste of submix from AN1/2 to Adat 3/4 and turned loopback on Adat 3/4, but no sound from the hardware inputs.
Wasapi loopback is working, but not ASIO. The Analogue inputs on Windows does not show any audio data coming in, even though loopback was active. We mirrored AN1/2 to Adat3/4 without success with WDM devices.

So far, that's where we're at.

Then you need a WDM device for ADAT 3/4 as well and record from that HW input channel.

davidlaijiajun wrote:
waedi wrote:

Before doing this, I activated the AN3/4 devices in the RME driver settings, so now I have 2 WDM devices -- AN1/2 and An3/4.

In this last posting, you mentioned, you have only WDM devices for AN 1/2 and AN 3/4.
Either ADAT 3/4 was a typo in your post or one WDM device is missing, then create it.

davidlaijiajun wrote:
waedi wrote:

I am on Mac only, this WDM and Wasapi is Windows stuff.
May be Wasapi should get switched off,
may be the WDM should be ADAT3/4 not AN3/4,
AN3/4 would be analog Input 3/4 of the Babyface
For output 3/4 it has to be ADAT3/4...?

ramses wrote:

Either ADAT 3/4 was a typo in your post or one WDM device is missing, then create it.

This is interesting -- I need to select 4 WDM devices to get to "ADAT (3+4)". This is misleading then -- what WDM device does "AN3/4" correspond to?

Thanks for inspiring me, let me try again.

After some trial and error, I've successfully routed the AN1/2 audio to the AES output (SPDIF/ADAT1/2), turned on the loopback and pushed the faders up to max. Now I can use the SPDIF/ADAT1/2 as my loopback ports!!! Now to see if I can only get the SPDIF/ADAT1/2 and AN1/2 devices to open, the rest shouldn't appear? It'll be difficult, but maybe that will work?

Just looked into the BBF Pro manual.
The WDM part is a little different to my UFX+ which uses a different USB driver (MADIface driver).

On manual page 34 I found the order of I/O ports: AN1/2, AN3/4, AS1/2, ADAT3/4, ADAT5/6, ADAT7/8.

So if you selected in the driver settings in the pull down menu for WDM devices "4",
then I assume that you get WDM stereo devices starting with "AN1/2" up to "ADAT 3/4".

Did you get it working now?

18 (edited by davidlaijiajun 2023-01-06 21:36:16)

ramses wrote:

The WDM part is a little different to my UFX+ which uses a different USB driver (MADIface driver).

On manual page 34 I found the order of I/O ports: AN1/2, AN3/4, AS1/2, ADAT3/4, ADAT5/6, ADAT7/8.

So if you selected in the driver settings in the pull down menu for WDM devices "4",
then I assume that you get WDM stereo devices starting with "AN1/2" up to "ADAT 3/4".

Right. Now I have 3 WDM devices, up to SPDIF/ADAT (1+2). For some reason we can never figure out what the AN (3+4) correspond to what hardware outputs.

But yes, after routing the audio to SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) and turning on the loopback for the corresponding inputs, now I have my loopback ports! So now I'm using SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) as my virtual loopback ports, and the volume, as long as the faders are up to maximum, will not be impacted when I adjust the volume for AN (1+2). Problem solved!

Thank you for inspiring me to setting more WDM devices. Now after disabling and uninstalling the unused WDM devices, I have just the RME WDM devices that I need. Though the driver settings still say "3 devices," all I have is the AN (1+2) outputs and the SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) inputs. Worked out perfectly!

davidlaijiajun wrote:
ramses wrote:

Right. Now I have 3 WDM devices, up to SPDIF/ADAT (1+2). For some reason we can never figure out what the AN (3+4) correspond to what hardware outputs.

But yes, after routing the audio to SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) and turning on the loopback for the corresponding inputs, now I have my loopback ports! So now I'm using SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) as my virtual loopback ports, and the volume, as long as the faders are up to maximum, will not be impacted when I adjust the volume for AN (1+2). Problem solved!

Thank you for inspiring me to setting more WDM devices. Now after disabling and uninstalling the unused WDM devices, I have just the RME WDM devices that I need. Though the driver settings still say "3 devices," all I have is the AN (1+2) outputs and the SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) inputs. Worked out perfectly!

Very nice that it worked out for you!

Assume this has to deal with the protocol settings over ADAT, whether you selected ADAT or SPDIF in the driver settings.

If you set the protocol to SPDIF you have always 2 channels independend of sample rate (44.1 - 192 kHz): AS 1/2
The name "AS" is a combination of ADAT and SPDIF.
As the first two channels of a TOSLINk can be either ADAT or SPDIF these two channels are named "AS1/2".

If you set the protocol to ADAT you have
- 8 channels @single  speed (44.1/48 kHz):    ADAT1/2 - ADAT7/8
- 4 channels @double speed (88.2/96 kHz):    ADAT1/2 - ADAT3/4
- 2 channels @quad    speed (176.4/192kHz): ADAT1/2

21 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-06 22:19:55)

Hi all

davidlaijiajun wrote:

Though the driver settings still say "3 devices," all I have is the AN (1+2) outputs and the SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) inputs. Worked out perfectly!

I guess it could be this: The Babyface pro FS has an additional pair of channels in each direction (i/o). It's to send and return signals for TotalMix reverb and echo FX to the computer to process them on the CPU. It's because the internal DSP is too weak.
From the manual p. 54:
The transmission of the stereo signal FX Send to the computer and the effects signal FX Out back to the Babyface Pro is done by two invisible ASIO channels. The delay (latency) generated by this method is of no consequence for the offered effects reverb and echo. But it is still taken into account for the adjustment of the Reverb PreDelay. The lowest value depends on the currently chosen buffer size (see Settings dialog, chapter 8.1).

AN 3/4 outputs are the headphone channels

Greetings

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

ramses wrote:

Assume this has to deal with the protocol settings over ADAT, whether you selected ADAT or SPDIF in the driver settings.

If you set the protocol to SPDIF you have always 2 channels independend of sample rate (44.1 - 192 kHz): AS 1/2
The name "AS" is a combination of ADAT and SPDIF.
As the first two channels of a TOSLINk can be either ADAT or SPDIF these two channels are named "AS1/2".

If you set the protocol to ADAT you have
- 8 channels @single  speed (44.1/48 kHz):    ADAT1/2 - ADAT7/8
- 4 channels @double speed (88.2/96 kHz):    ADAT1/2 - ADAT3/4
- 2 channels @quad    speed (176.4/192kHz): ADAT1/2

I just checked my settings and it looks like I've set this to SPDIF. I guess it's better, since only 2 LED's are lit. But since I only use this for loopback, it doesn't make too big of a difference.

oli77sch wrote:

I see. Well, unfortunately AN3+4 input and AN3+4 outputs can't talk with each other like the others, as I've tested this afternoon. But I'm glad things are working now and this means I can have a very fantastic interface at my disposal!!!

davidlaijiajun wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

I see. Well, unfortunately AN3+4 input and AN3+4 outputs can't talk with each other like the others, as I've tested this afternoon. But I'm glad things are working now and this means I can have a very fantastic interface at my disposal!!!

Do you have the TotalMix main out (control room section bottom right) assigned to HP 3/4?

oli77sch wrote:

Do you have the TotalMix main out (control room section bottom right) assigned to HP 3/4?

I believe so. That's how we tested yesterday at the remote session.

davidlaijiajun wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

I believe so. That's how we tested yesterday at the remote session.

Oh, but the 'Main' channel doesn't have the loopback function, so of course you had no chance to use the analog outputs 3+4 (which are the headphones outs assigned to main out) for this. If you really want this particular channels for the loopback function for some reasons, you simply can de-assign them to have them as 'normal' outputs on the bottom left. Anyway, I would suggest not to use the headphone outputs for loopback but only channels which are not in use (better to say, not connected to any hardware like speakers or such).

The main channel does have the Loopback function, and it also works when set to Phones 3/4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The main channel does have the Loopback function, and it also works when set to Phones 3/4.

I think it was too late yesterday, forget my reply above, sorry! @MC thanks for the correction!

MC wrote:

I see. Thanks for this! I think the good point about getting the loopback to the SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) is that since it's a digital input, there's no preamp noise, unlike AN (1+2) for example. It's just some extra WDM devices. I wish RME could give us selection checkboxes to say if we want what WDM device to stay on the computer. Maybe in some future update? But so far, the user experience has been very stable.

davidlaijiajun wrote:
MC wrote:

I see. Thanks for this! I think the good point about getting the loopback to the SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) is that since it's a digital input, there's no preamp noise, unlike AN (1+2) for example. It's just some extra WDM devices. I wish RME could give us selection checkboxes to say if we want what WDM device to stay on the computer. Maybe in some future update? But so far, the user experience has been very stable.

The loopback feature is implemented in the digital only part, so no preamp noise (analog part before AD converter) could appear.

oli77sch wrote:

The loopback feature is implemented in the digital only part, so no preamp noise (analog part before AD converter) could appear.

Good to know, thanks! I guess for now, since it's working, I'll let it stay that way. I wonder, can I export my settings so if I plug the Babyface Pro FS into a different computer, I can import everything in one click, and my faders would be right there and loop back and routing settings recalled? Thank you!

davidlaijiajun wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Good to know, thanks! I guess for now, since it's working, I'll let it stay that way. I wonder, can I export my settings so if I plug the Babyface Pro FS into a different computer, I can import everything in one click, and my faders would be right there and loop back and routing settings recalled? Thank you!

No, the Babyface does not remember anything from your Totalmix.
You have to save the workspace in Totalmix, that creates a file in the application support folder.
Page 58 user manual tells where exactly this is.
That file can ported to another computer via USB stick or email and imported to Totalmix for having the same situation (workspace) as before.

waedi wrote:

No, the Babyface does not remember anything from your Totalmix.
You have to save the workspace in Totalmix, that creates a file in the application support folder.
That file can ported to another computer via USB stick or email and imported to Totalmix for having the same situation (workspace) as before.

I see, thank you! Does this workspace file remember, for example, I have the SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) faders up to maximum and that the audio from AN (1+2) is routed to SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) as well? If so, that would save me a lot of trouble. Thanks!

34 (edited by ramses 2023-01-07 18:33:55)

The workspace file contains everything.
GUI position, snapshot information, fader positions, submixes / routing.
It's a valid backup for your Workspace with its 8 Snapshots.

ramses wrote:

The workspace file contains everything.
GUI position, snapshot information, fader positions, submixes / routing.
It's a valid backup for your Workspace with its 8 Snapshots.

That would be great. Thanks for your tip, I'll export the file right now and keep it somewhere convenient!

waedi wrote:

Whenever you manually save a workspace file the usual OS file dialog comes up, so you can save the file wherever you want. 'Page 58' describes the automatic workspaces on shutdown etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Whenever you manually save a workspace file the usual OS file dialog comes up, so you can save the file wherever you want. 'Page 58' describes the automatic workspaces on shutdown etc.

Yes, I finished saving this workspace. Now things should be good to go. I appreciate your help very much, now the Babyface Pro FS is perfectly in my workflow!