Topic: Line Level Input for Babyface Pro FS?

I am using the Babyface Pro FS to do needledrops from my turntable into Adobe Audition. I am using the TRS inputs (3 &4). Signal is coming as line level from my phono preamp at ~62dBU. Currently I need to use an in-line attenuator to lower the signal coming to the Babyface. If I don't, the signal is too hot even at the lowest gain setting. This is not optimal obviously.

I have the input set to +4dBu in TotalMix. Gain is set to 0 and is too hot.

What do I need to do to make sure I am accepting the line level input correctly? Settings in the unit or in TotalMix need changing? I am operating TotalMix in Digital Audio Workstation Mode.

Thanks.

Re: Line Level Input for Babyface Pro FS?

Cant you set the level out from your riaa?
Else, I would run the signal though a mixer (any mixer) to be sable to control the level into the line input.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Most phono stages don’t have volume controls. I’ve had a few and not one of them had one. That also goes for ones costing thousands. I haven’t come across this as I haven’t had to try it but it would be a shame if the input sensitivity couldn’t be lowered

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

I am using a Low Output Moving Coil cart so I am running through a step-up transformer then my phone preamp. There are jumpers in the SUT to lower the output so I can try that. I could also just bypass the SUT transformer and that would reduce the gain by ~26dBu. I may try that.

The trouble with that is the phono preamp if a mm may struggle to get a decent sound as it’s not being fed the correct levels. It tends to leave the sound a bit lifeless at best. The jumpers may be better if you have that option.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

The trouble with that is the phono preamp if a mm may struggle to get a decent sound as it’s not being fed the correct levels. It tends to leave the sound a bit lifeless at best. The jumpers may be better if you have that option.

Very good point, thank you. I will try both and compare but have a feeling the lowering the boost in the SUT will be the way to go.

Casey737 wrote:

I am using a Low Output Moving Coil cart so I am running through a step-up transformer then my phone preamp. There are jumpers in the SUT to lower the output so I can try that. I could also just bypass the SUT transformer and that would reduce the gain by ~26dBu. I may try that.

So the jumpers can be used for volume control (this is actually what I meant by volume control), but as mkok said dont bypass the sut altogether.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

The jumpers don't give me enough attenuation to get it to the appropriate levels. I will have to go back to an in-line attenuator - basically an in-line volume control between my preamp and the Babyface. Not the best solution but no choice. Ugh.

9 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-06 23:32:48)

I would say, normally the -10dBV setting on the Babyface pro FS is meant for home / hi-fi / dj equipment. So I'm really wondering about the issue.
What phono preamp do you have? Is it one for MC cartridges? If so, I don't understand why you use a step up transformer. I'm not an expert and I don't know your exact setup, but I think you should simply try it once without the additional transformer.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I am using a step-up transformer because I have a LOMC (low output moving coil) cart. The output on that is only 0.4mV. I use a Darlington Labs MP7 phone preamp and Darlington Labs SU7 step up transformer. This combo outputs ~63dBu into the instruments inputs and this is too hot even at +4dBu. If I change it to -10dBv it's even hotter and I can't dial the gain down to get an appropriate level - -18dBu with a 1kHz tone.

11 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-07 00:46:01)

Oh… ok, expecting I understand the tech specs right of both the MP7 (output) and the BFpro (input), there really is a mismatch!
MP7
Maximum output >27dBu or 17V RMS (49V pk-pk) into 10K.
RME:
Maximum input level @+4 dBu, Gain 0 dB: +13 dBu (1MOhm)
Maximum input level @-10 dBV, Gain 9 dB: -5 dBu

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

> This combo outputs ~63dBu

Nope. You most probably meant that this combo amplifies by about 63 dB. And with a max output of +27 dBu it would also overload any typical HiFi amp or preamp. So inline attenuators are the way to go.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey, I have the same problem but with an electric guitar. It's strange that you can't lower the gain. Any solution?