Topic: Help me connect my ADI-2 FS DAC to my PS5 PLZ

SO I use this wonderful DAC with my PC for gaming and Media

I also have it connected to my Receiver via RCA out when I want the sound to come out my speakers, all I do is pull out the headphone cable

But, ive been spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to connect the ADI to my PS5

Unfortunately the PS5 has no "optical" connections

So how can I connect the Playstion 5 to the ADi?

Thanks guys

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-10 09:38:13)

Re: Help me connect my ADI-2 FS DAC to my PS5 PLZ

PlayStation 5 has a HDMI output only for digital sound (and picture).

• Very likely you have PS5 already connected to a TV set.
Most of those have SPDIF Optical outputs that you can use.

• For audio extraction only, the:
Astro HDMI adapter PS5 audio Extractor 4K HDMI to Optical Toslink Spdif compatible with ...PlayStation 5” should do the job.

In both cases, remember that ADI-2 does not support DolbyDigital, so set your PS5 sound output to PCM Stereo.

https://www.amazon.de/ASTRO-HDMI-Adapte … uage=en_GB
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51Ceq1AVv4L._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51+NDwUc1CL._AC_SX679_.jpg

so if i get this adaptor device, it goes from PS5 HDMI to this, then from this another HDMI to TV?

Or can I just use this for sound and ignore the HDMI?

Any downside in using these devices?

cheers

4 (edited by ebmmbongo 2023-01-10 08:26:31)

hobib_ali wrote:

so if i get this adaptor device, it goes from PS5 HDMI to this, then from this another HDMI to TV?

cheers

Yes, PS5->extractor->TV (HDMI Output) and ADI-2 FS DAC (spdif)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-10 09:31:33)

hobib_ali wrote:

You can just use it for sound, ignoring the HDMI feed through.

But probably you will want to connect your TV set to the adapter’s HDMI out, or you won’t see anything when using the PS5.

If you need the TV / picture to operate PS5, you’re better off connecting ADI-2 to the TV’s Optical (or Coax) SPDIF out, if exists.

hobib_ali wrote:

My research didn’t show up an adapter that supports 1440p 120 Hz resolution, at a reasonable price.

So in the rare case your TV set / monitor supports QHD Ultra Wide 1440p 120 Hz you’re still limited to QHD Ultra Wide 1440p 60 Hz.

Not a big deal IMO.

KaiS wrote:
hobib_ali wrote:

My research didn’t show up an adapter that supports 1440p 120 Hz resolution, at a reasonable price.

So in the rare case your TV set / monitor supports (QHD Ultra Wide) 1440p 120 Hz you’re still limited to 1440p 60 Hz.

Not a big deal IMO.

Good call, so the best solution is still to use the spdif out on the tv:)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-10 09:32:28)

ebmmbongo wrote:
KaiS wrote:
hobib_ali wrote:

So in the rare case your TV set / monitor supports (QHD Ultra Wide) 1440p 120 Hz you’re still limited to 1440p 60 Hz.

Not a big deal IMO.

Good call, so the best solution is still to use the spdif out on the tv:)

If you need the TV / picture to operate PS5, you’re better off connecting ADI-2 to the TV’s Optical (or Coax) SPDIF out, if exists.

If you find the right products to work through latency issues bluetooth adapters might work for this setup. Myself I use TV spdif out.

SONY used to be the best. They even co-invented spdif with Philips, as in "Sony/Philips digital interface. Sad one has to wriggle ones brains to make this work in 2023!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

9 (edited by MstrC-117 2023-01-10 19:47:06)

hobib_ali wrote:

I have similar use case, but with Xbox.

You need a device, that can handle i.e. downmix multichannel audio properly, and feed it out to ADI. Proper handling means not discarding any channels, and keeping channels relative levels untouched. Ability to adjust delay to audio would be nice too, to compensate display´s panel delay.

Unfortunately extractor boxes, source devices and TV´s can´t do it properly. At least LFE-channel gets discarded always, and the downmix process is otherwise too in hands of Jesus. Result can be what ever it happens to be.

Working solution would be to to use AVR, and connect it from its headphone output to ADI-2 Pro´s analog input. It doesn´t need to be fancy model, or having newest (loudspeaker) features, like Dolby Atmos. Basic good 7.1 channel device with multi-channel PCM, DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD -decoders is enough. I have old, but trustworthy, Yamaha RX-V575 for this very job, to partner ADI in multichannel video operations.

Unfortunately ADI-2 DAC doesn´t have the crucial connection of this case, the analog line input, so now would be the perfect time to update to Pro (or 2/4 Pro).

ADI´s analog input is always considered as turntable or some darn tape deck -connector, for oldies-but-not-goldies etc. stone age -users. It is, though, as needed in ADI -related modern day video applications too.

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-10 22:23:58)

MstrC-117 wrote:
hobib_ali wrote:

...You need a device, that can handle i.e. downmix multichannel audio properly, and feed it out to ADI. Proper handling means not discarding any channels, and keeping channels relative levels untouched. Ability to adjust delay to audio would be nice too, to compensate display´s panel delay.

Unfortunately extractor boxes, source devices and TV´s can´t do it...

TVs often can downmix - at least my Sony.

But usually you can specify the sound output format in the gaming console, which handles the downmix.

KaiS wrote:

TVs often can downmix - at least my Sony.
But usually you can specify the sound output format in the gaming console, which handles the downmix.

No they can´t, on proper way. And yes, they may have some audio coming out. But at least the LFE-channel won´t stay on board, almost certainly.

They may have other problems also, like clipping channels, wrong channel relative levels etc other buggy behavior. In addition, many TV´s are completely unable to handle lossless multichannel formats DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD and more than 2-channel PCM. Their understanding may be limited only to Dolby Digital Plus, legacy DTS & Dolby Digital and 2-channel PCM.

In this regard AVR is necessary.

Have you tested in your Sony-TV, what happens to LFE, in various input formats? Or can it output audio at all, if fed in sound format is said multichannel-PCM or Dolby TrueHD? From DTS-HD MA it most likely outputs only its lossy legacy-DTS -core, that may be a little trickier to test.

12 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-11 07:20:04)

Yes, better do the downmix at the source device.
The source usually can at least handle the format.

That might not necessarily be the case in the average inexpensive AVR.

I have to admit I’m not an expert in the latest developments in Surround Sound - I’ve largely given up on the format some time ago.
The available music choices are just too limited and even the few available mostly disappoint.

One of the few that justify the effort is Rabih Abou-Khalil - The Cactus of Knowledge on DVD.

I have my Sony AG9 TV connected to my ADI 2/4 via optical SPDIF and it works like a dream for everything coming out of the TV (TV channels, games consoles, streaming apps, PC, blu ray/DVD player etc.) The 2/4 shows clearly what sample rate and word length it's receiving and spitting out. The TV has settings for whether it uses its own speaker or its Digi Out, and you can set whether or not it downmixes everything to stereo.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

KaiS wrote:

Yes, better do the downmix at the source device.
The source usually can at least handle the format.

That might not necessarily be the case in the average inexpensive AVR.

I have to admit I’m not an expert in the latest developments in Surround Sound - I’ve largely given up on the format some time ago.
The available music choices are just too limited and even the few available mostly disappoint.

One of the few that justify the effort is Rabih Abou-Khalil - The Cactus of Knowledge on DVD.

No. Source devices and TV´s especially can´t do it RIGHT.

I have yet to encounter such a crap AVR, highly doubt there is one. AVR´s primary job is especially to handle surround sound formats.

Its not about music per se, but game and video sound. Of course there often is music along in games and video sountracks too.

15 (edited by MstrC-117 2023-01-11 18:28:32)

Babaluma wrote:

I have my Sony AG9 TV connected to my ADI 2/4 via optical SPDIF and it works like a dream for everything coming out of the TV (TV channels, games consoles, streaming apps, PC, blu ray/DVD player etc.) The 2/4 shows clearly what sample rate and word length it's receiving and spitting out. The TV has settings for whether it uses its own speaker or its Digi Out, and you can set whether or not it downmixes everything to stereo.

"Some audio" coming out is different than audio coming out right in every situation.

Something sure outputs from TV´s optical out on normal TV-broadcasts / streaming services, but that´s because they send only Dolby Digital / 2-ch PCM (TV-brodcasts) or Dolby Digital Plus (streaming services, mostly).

Feed in said lossless sound formats, and there may be output no more... Then test the LFE-channel... on LFE´s playback -turn there is again... only deep silence.

Maybe I went too specific / hardcore on this case. One will get that "some audio" from PS5 by connecting it to TV via HDMI, and then from TV´s optical out to ADI´s optical In.
This setup won´t pass critical audiophile evaluation, though. It´s basic solution for basic users only. Multichannel audio -ignorance is bliss...

16 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-12 00:09:46)

Audio engineers (me smile ) tend to mix LFE signals into the main channels too, to avoid the crap people do with their sub.

BTW: Audiophile is a synonym for cracy IMO, as it has developed over the years now.
The term I like is HiFi - meaning true Hi-Fidelity to the souce.

KaiS wrote:

Audio engineers (me smile ) tend to mix LFE signals into the main channels too, to avoid the crap people do with their sub.

I remembered you you were strictly 2-channel music producer?

LFE-channel, or 0.1 channel, is discrete special-channel in multichannel sound formats. Are we talking about same thing? It´s not synonym for low frequency content of normal audio channels, and has nothing to do with stereo. 

LFE-channel is not recommended to be used in music-only -productions at all. It´s quite exclusively the thing of video- and game -audio.

KaiS wrote:

BTW: Audiophile is a synonym for cracy IMO, as it has developed over the years now.
The term I like is HiFi - meaning true Hi-Fidelity to the souce.

Yes, that term has an insult -like side nuance. I meant "audio wise precise user". And, that this precision reaches to multichannel audio too.

Some hard core stereo-music people have bizarre dual-standard -zipper-open / I-don´t-give-a-shit -attitude change when video comes along. Those HUGE demands kinda collapse same time, when video starts rolling... how strange is that.

That´s a real shame, because in my opinion, best available audio productions come specifically from world of film sound.

For example, loudness war in film sound = file(s) not found.
Thanks to basic essence of movies / TV-series, audio producers can be sure, that audiences are not jogging, sweating on gym or driving around in noisy car at a same time. But sitting on their asses, concentrating and being quiet!

18 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-12 10:46:32)

MstrC-117 wrote:

I remembered you you were strictly 2-channel music producer?

No, I do what my client‘s request.
That reaches from music to motion picture.

Privatly, after a longer period of delving into speaker related multi channel I’ve returned to traditional stereo.
My surround system is still there, but even for motion picture there are few convincing examples that justify the effort IMO.

“Der Untergang” by Oliver Hirschbiegel is one one them, but only in the cinema / DVD version.
When broadcasted the sound is neutered by the TV stations to fit into TV sets, disappointing on capable speakers.

MstrC-117 wrote:

LFE-channel, or 0.1 channel, is discrete special-channel in multichannel sound formats. Are we talking about same thing? It´s not synonym for low frequency content of normal audio channels, and has nothing to do with stereo. 

LFE-channel is not recommended to be used in music-only -productions at all. It´s quite exclusively the thing of video- and game -audio.

There’s no “rule” existing what to with the LFE- / .1- channel in production.
Basically it’s meant as an effect channel only, that’s true.

But the situation at the homes of the average listener is complicated.

Tiny speakers sets with additional subwoofers are widespread, almost the norm for 5.1 / 7.1 sound systems.
In most cases the LFE channel is routed to the subwoofer only.
But the sub is low-pass filtered to fit the main speakers, often between 50-80 Hz.
The LFE-channel runs up to 120 Hz, and is NOT intended to be filtered again in playback - this leads to a conflicting situation:

LFE and subwoofer channels are not the same, but are handled as such.
LFE-effects are filtered in playback and can sound like strange rumble as a result.

Then people at home most of the time push up their LFE-channel AND their subwoofer level too much to beef up their tiny speaker’s sound, making the alienizing of the LFE-effects even more obvious.

All this confusion lead to the result that audio engineers use LFE very carefully, and feed an amount of “normal” bass into it.
And even the other way round, the LFE effects are routed to the main channels too, to avoid them being completely lost.
As usual, as audio engineer you have to balance idealism and reality.

In music production there’s usually nothing that can serve as “LFE-Effect”.
Every sheet-music-note has it’s place in the composition.
So common practice is, to feed a little amount of the lower instruments, bass, bassdrum etc. into LFE, to avoid the subwoofer (again this collision LFE-subwoofer) being dead at the customers home systems.

In an ideal world the LFE channel wouldn’t exist, and the LFE effects would be replayed on capable systems as integral part of the mix, bass management would just be used to optimize subwoofer integration.

Is it not possible to use the PS5 via USB connection with the ADI?

stzhvwg wrote:

Is it not possible to use the PS5 via USB connection with the ADI?

No the ADI-2 DAC cannot act as an USB host.

This is not about USB host. The PS5 does not support USB 2.0 audio, only USB 1.1. So the ADI is not recognized.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME