Topic: My baby won't go to sleep...

I recently moved my BabyFace Pro FS from my desktop computer to my laptop.  Laptop (Windows) is connected to a (Thunderbolt) dock, but the BF is connected (via USB-C cable) directly to the second TB3 port on the laptop (I realize that BF still operates at USB2 speed/bandwidth but I thought that this way the connection my be more "direct" i.e. perhaps not shared with other devices connected to the dock - though, in practice, I'm not sure that it makes any difference).

Anyhow, I noticed that BabyFace now never goes to sleep!  Even when the laptop (and all the connected gear) goes to sleep, 3 yellow LED lights on BF are still on.  Even if I explicitly shutdown the laptop (instead of just leaving it on until it goes to sleep), the 3 lights are still on.  BF is NOT connected to an external power brick - the only power source is the laptop (USB port).

Anyhow, I am not too worried about the "parasitic current draw" - the laptop is still connected to the docking station which can provide power if/when needed (and I'm sure the current draw is minimal anyhow)... However, I am a bit worried that this might not be ideal for the BF itself (to be, essentially, plugged in 24/7)?  Obviously, there is no on/off switch on the BF itself - so the only way I see to actually turn it off is to unplug it from the USB (Thunderbolt) port - which is not that convenient.

Of course, thinking back (now that I moved the BF) I can't remember if this was like this all along (i.e. when BF was connected to my desktop computer).  I tend to think it was NOT - because, I only noticed this behaviour after I connected BF to the laptop (and within only a day or two so, I assume, I would have noticed it if it was like that when it was connected to the desktop).  Therefore, I think BF would turn itself off completely when it was connected to the desktop computer and it went to sleep.  However, I might take it back to the desktop at some point and double check the sleep behaviour first hand...

At any rate - I was wondering - is this something I should be concerned about?  Should I unplug BF's USB connector when I'm done for the day?  Or is it OK to just leave it plugged into (USB) and have those yellow LEDs on 24/7 (regardless of the fact that all the surrounding equipment - laptop, dock, monitor - is asleep)?

Thanks,

Marko

Re: My baby won't go to sleep...

This has been asked quite a few times and the Babyface pro fs should be ok. You can usually disable the power to usb in bios

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.