Topic: UCX II LINE/INSTR. 3/4 inputs issue

Hi all,

I just got a UCX II to replace my Babyface Pro FS, and I seem to be having an issue:

Using the LINE/INSTR 3/4 inputs on the front, I wasn't getting any signal. I lightly "jiggled" the cables, and the signal is there while the cables are depressed/held to the side. When I let go, the signal is lost.

I tried all the other inputs (1,2 on the front and 5,6,7,8 on the back), and they all work fine, so I know it's not the cables. It seems like there's some sort of connection/wiring issue with the front LINE inputs?

I'm in Vancouver, Canada - is there anything I can do besides sending it back?
Thanks

Re: UCX II LINE/INSTR. 3/4 inputs issue

You use TRS or TS cables for Instrument input?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by slothkins 2023-01-15 06:44:39)

Hello,

They are unbalanced TS instrument cables.

(EDIT) I just looked at the UCX II manual, which says the INST/LINE should accept balanced or unbalanced cables. The same cables work fine in every other input on the interface, and the same setup worked with the line inputs on the Babyface Pro FS.

It's strange, as the inputs I'm having trouble with seem just as sturdy as all the other inputs on the interface.

Thanks

The manual says TRS is not allowed for instrument., that's why I asked. I still can't believe that both inputs fail due to a defect in their TRS socket. I would expect the cables to have a strange TS shape or something like that. Can you try other  cables, different models?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by popsicle 2023-01-15 22:53:28)

i had this issue with cheaper cables, they worked on the old Safire Pro40 but not on the UCXII -- had to jiggle them to get them to work.

prob just non-spec cables.

pops

Ah, I see, thanks.

The manual is a bit confusing to me regarding TS vs. TRS on the 3/4 LINE/INSTR inputs. On page 41 it states:

"Inputs 3/4 have balanced line inputs as 1/4" TRS jacks. The electronic input stage is built in a servo balanced design which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly, automatically adjusting the level reference.
Inputs 3/4 operate in perfect harmony with the rear inputs 5 to 8, as they are identical in all technical specifications.
The instrument input operates unbalanced. Please don’t use (stereo) TRS jacks in that mode."

Does the above mean the inputs are acting as balanced and should accept TRS, like the other inputs on the UCX? When Instr is selected in Total Mix, does that mean the inputs become unbalanced and you need to use TS cables?

I've been using the 3/4 inputs as stereo at +13dBu. I do not have the Instr box selected in Total Mix (though it doesn't change the issue I'm having when it's selected.)

I have two other older mismatched instrument cables, and they both seem to work fine with the 3/4 ins on the UCX!

I don't understand why these cables don't work on the UCX II 3/4 LINE/INSTR, but they work perfectly on every other input on the UCX II and the Babyface Pro FS.

Unfortunately, all my cables are these Amphenol cables, which I believe to be a very reputable brand. I've never had issues with them with any other device over several years.

Is there something mechanically or electronically different about the 3/4 ins on the UCX II? Or is anything else I'm missing about the cables? I want to make sure I get cables that work with these inputs.

Visually they look similar to the other two working cables, as you can see in the attached photo. (The problem cable is the gold-colored Amphenol brand cable on the right)

Thanks!

https://tinyurl.com/25dwaj36

Hi popsicle.

Was the issue with the cables only with the 3/4 LINE/INST inputs on the UCX II, or did it affect other inputs as well?

Hard to say as even though they look the same there might be small differences. The cable I plug into a drum trigger looked the same but I had the shave a thin slither off the plastic (you can’t as yours are not plastic) to get it to work.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

popsicle wrote:

i had this issue with cheaper cables, they worked on the old Safire Pro40 but not on the UCXII -- had to jiggle them to get them to work.

prob just non-spec cables.

pops

All the cables exhibiting the issue are Mogami 2319 Wire with Amphenol ACPM-GN-AU M-Series Straight Gold TS plugs. Both brands are very high quality and reputable - I don't think they'd be out of spec.

I've used these cables for many years with no issues. They work perfectly in every other Input and Output of the UCX II and the Babyface Pro FS.

Is there something else I could possibly be overlooking with the 3/4 inputs, perhaps a setting within Total Mix? I would think that mechanically, they'd be the same as the other inputs and outputs on the UCX II but perhaps not.

10 (edited by waedi 2023-01-16 00:49:17)

Photo of Totalmix setting would be helpful.
How is the input gain ? Have you opened it ?
you use a Synth on these inputs with input setting +13dBu, is your synth really that loud ?

The problem is, you say the issue is on both input sockets. It is very unlikely to have both of them broke at the same time, that's why no one suggest to bring the unit to service.

The plugs of your cables would also be happy to get cleaned...

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi waedi,
- The input gain is good when the connection is steady. (I'm not sure what you mean by "opened it?")
- With the +13dBu setting, the synth is peaking around -12 to -9 (depending on the number of oscillators used, etc.)
- I agree. I don't think the inputs are broken, as I'd first questioned, as they don't seem to exhibit the issue with the two older cables. However, it seems odd that Amphenol cables work in all the other inputs/outputs, which makes me question if there's something different about the 3/4 inputs on this device. My concern is that the 3/4 inputs will exhibit this behavior when I purchase replacement cables or develop the behavior with other cables later.
- I've attached screenshots of the mixer, settings, and preferences (which I haven't changed from the defaults).

Thanks for your help.

https://tinyurl.com/42hw43x9

With open gain I mean to give more gain, but it is not needed here, you have a strong signal and everything looks fine to me.
For buying new cables you may ask the seller for refund option in case the cable don't work...
Most online stores let you send back and offer replacement or refund.
Or even better take the interface to the store and let the seller test some cables before buy.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

slothkins wrote:

Hi popsicle.

Was the issue with the cables only with the 3/4 LINE/INST inputs on the UCX II, or did it affect other inputs as well?

I didnt try it on the back connectors, it was a guitar lead.

pops

slothkins wrote:

Is there something else I could possibly be overlooking with the 3/4 inputs, perhaps a setting within Total Mix? I would think that mechanically, they'd be the same as the other inputs and outputs on the UCX II but perhaps not.

if they work when you jiggle them its prob not something in Totalmix.

have you tried pulling the plug out of the jack just a tiny bit? I was able to make my non-spec cable work by pulling it out slightly.

pops

slothkins wrote:

All the cables exhibiting the issue are Mogami 2319 Wire with Amphenol ACPM-GN-AU M-Series Straight Gold TS plugs. Both brands are very high quality and reputable - I don't think they'd be out of spec.

theres a post here about someone complaining about Amphenol plugs

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/defect … t.1249559/

sounds like a similar issue

pops

16 (edited by slothkins 2023-01-17 22:08:11)

Thanks popsicle,

Can you recommend any brands you know work with your UCX II 3/4 ins?

slothkins wrote:

Thanks popsicle,

Can you recommend any brands you know work with your UCX II 3/4 ins?

personally I really like the switchcraft #280 plugs and can confirm they work on the 3/4 instrument jacks on the UCXII

cheers, pops