1 (edited by ben.turgeon 2023-01-18 21:37:20)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS vs Fireface UC

Hello,

I'm trying to choose between buying a second-hand RME Fireface UC for about 800$ CAD vs a new Babyface Pro FS for 1600$.

My use-case is a bedroom producer but I really value stability, ease-of-use and buying something once and never having to worry about it.

I currently have a Focusrite 2i4 Gen 1 and it's been a huge pain so I'm looking to upgrade.

Is the Babyface worth double the price? I mostly use some hardware synths in Ableton and record some vocals and guitar.

My primary concern is the interface working easily with Windows 11 and the second most important criteria (but much lower in importance) is number of inputs. I'm mostly worried about the compatibilty of the interface with USB3 as that is all my motherboard has.

Thanks!

Re: Babyface Pro FS vs Fireface UC

Hi!

It’s difficult to give an adequate answer here. This two interfaces are just different in many ways and in my opinion it depends on your needs.
Some pros an cons:

Babyface proFS
+ newer electronics
+ class compliant mode for use on iPad
+ can be bus powered for mobile use (sadly not possible on iPad, maybe yes on USB-C models, I’m not sure about)
+ small form factor
+ hardware knobs assignable to different control commands
+ at least expandable over ADAT i/o

- not so many analog ins and outs
- not the whole range of effects in TotalMix (no dynamics at all, on iPad only EQ)

Independent stand alone mode not related to configurations on the computer. Not a pro or con, only a fact.

Fireface UC
+ nice bunch of different inputs and outputs (analog, ADAT, SPDIF, AES/EBU)
- older electronics
- no TotalMix effects at all
- no class compliant mode

Stand alone mode with stored user settings (so for example it can be set as an eight channel ADAT converter, as a two channel mic preamp with AES/EBU or SPDIF out…)

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Hi!

It’s difficult to give an adequate answer here. This two interfaces are just different in many ways and in my opinion it depends on your needs.
Some pros an cons:

Babyface proFS
+ newer electronics
+ class compliant mode for use on iPad
+ can be bus powered for mobile use (sadly not possible on iPad, maybe yes on USB-C models, I’m not sure about)
+ small form factor
+ hardware knobs assignable to different control commands
+ at least expandable over ADAT i/o

- not so many analog ins and outs
- not the whole range of effects in TotalMix (no dynamics at all, on iPad only EQ)

Independent stand alone mode not related to configurations on the computer. Not a pro or con, only a fact.

Fireface UC
+ nice bunch of different inputs and outputs (analog, ADAT, SPDIF, AES/EBU)
- older electronics
- no TotalMix effects at all
- no class compliant mode

Stand alone mode with stored user settings (so for example it can be set as an eight channel ADAT converter, as a two channel mic preamp with AES/EBU or SPDIF out…)

Thank you for your help, I have since decided on buying the Babyface Pro FS!

4 (edited by ramses 2023-01-26 16:37:15)

BBF Pro FS has more up-to-date converters, the converter latency for monitoring on the interface is much faster.
On the other hand the UC offers more variety in channels / types.

If you need more channels, then I would consider either UC or better UCX II.

UC, if you want to save money and if converter latency is not an issue for you, so to say pure recording.

If you require faster converters and want more features, then consider getting UCX II.

The UCX II offers additional features like e.g.: Autoset, full implementation of FX chip, additional AES port (very practical to integrate an ADI-2 DAC/Pro), preamps of UFX II with 75 dB gain, DURec.

See also my Excel for a comparison of USB/FW/TB interfaces: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … 9-19-xlsx/ (of https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … -MADIfac/)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ben.turgeon wrote:

Thank you for your help, I have since decided on buying the Babyface Pro FS!

Good choice. I love this interface -- though I only use it as a DAC and the loopback function through TotalMix FX, but it is so solid!!! You'll tremendously enjoy it!!!