Topic: Simultaneous FW and USB connection - Fireface UFX & UFX+

Is it possible to connect a Fireface UFX (original) to two different computers, one via FW and one via USB, and then simply control the Fireface with whichever computer has TotalMix and/or the settings dialog open/connected?  I've connected it to the same computer with both FW and USB at the same time, but I wasn't sure if two different computers would throw a wrench in the works.

Same question with the Fireface UFX+...Except using TB and USB.

I have both units and I'm doing some studio re-arranging.  Trying to give myself the most flexibility with multiple computers in the control room.

Thank you!

Re: Simultaneous FW and USB connection - Fireface UFX & UFX+

If it is about controlling the units, totalmix remote can do that. It is a download on the rme site

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

No. You can only do this if you turn off one computer, and then turn on another. Only one connection can be "live" at a time.

IMO connecting two computers to one audio interface is not a great idea.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks guys.  That was quick!

I wasn't sure, that's why I asked.  I do have TM remote.  Like I said, just trying to set things up with the most amount of flexibility.

In your case I would connect one ufx to each and with each other through adat.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

That's what I'm doing now.  It works fine.  I was just wondering if there were other options.  Always looking for ways to maximize the gear I have.  Thanks again for the quick replies!

we're using simple usb (or firewire) switchers to toggle between laptops and studio computers.

hselters wrote:

we're using simple usb (or firewire) switchers to toggle between laptops and studio computers.

Do you have to reboot computers or restart the interfaces, or are you able to hot swap?